Photo

Net Neutrality Still Under Attack

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

The Internet Censorship Bill took a massive beating last week (yeah, you did that!) but drug companies, movie studios and the Chamber of Commerce do *not* go down easy.

Now-- get this-- they're telling Congress it's a "jobs" bill.

This is dangerous. Everyone in Congress is desperate to do something to create jobs. Now the most powerful lobbies in Washington are banging down their doors, saying "this is your (only) chance to pass a jobs bill."

Since Congress is away for the holiday, there's one priority: sign up as many people as possible for a massive call-in day when Congress returns.

Click here to join in, by committing to call your Senator

Since the House's "SOPA" has such a bad name (again, congratulations to those who took part) lobbyists are moving their weight behind the Senate version, PIPA ("The PROTECT IP Act"). The Senate's censorship bill is just as bad; it's only missing a few of SOPA's extra-crazy provisions, like the ones that could send you to jail for singing a pop song on YouTube. The website blocking provisions are all there. Still, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid thinks that with the attention on SOPA, he can sneak PIPA through quickly when Congress returns.

Reid needs to know this bill won't move forward without a fight. That's why we're organizing a call-in day for Tuesday, using the same tools that our heroes at Tumblr used last week. It's kind of perfect. While Congress rests we've got 5 full days to sign up friends, colleagues, Twitter followers-- everybody. Then on Tuesday we'll unleash a storm of phone calls.

Sign up, and encourage others to sign up. The television is their silver bullet, and word of mouth is the way to fight back.

This weekend, instead of nobly vegging out on the internet, you can fight for the future of the internet and freedom of speech. Every ounce of time you spend counts.

Signups now, phone calls Tuesday. Start your engines.

#2 ch33psh33p

ch33psh33p
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

The sad thing is, Europe just ruled against something like this ever being allowed.

Fucking America, censoring one thing at a time.

#3 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

The sad thing is, Europe just ruled against something like this ever being allowed.

We did??

#4 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

This isn't suprising at all. The UK is following pretty close behind the US in terms of corruption, but most of the EU are far less corrupt. It's really sad seeing people so patriotic, yet ignorant of the issues cropping up in the states, and this is coming from somebody that doesn't have to put up with the policies. (yay asia pacific!)

Anything, aside from sharing to US friends, that people from overseas can do to help curb PIPA?

#5 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

Anything, aside from sharing to US friends, that people from overseas can do to help curb PIPA?

Email various senators. Email them often and include some vitriol if you feel like it... I know I do.

#6 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Now-- get this-- they're telling Congress it's a "jobs" bill.

This is dangerous. Everyone in Congress is desperate to do something to create jobs. Now the most powerful lobbies in Washington are banging down their doors, saying "this is your (only) chance to pass a jobs bill."

Ahaha.. Oh god they can't be serious, can they? D; What even IS the correlation between No Fun Allowed the Internet and jobs??

Man, I wish I could help out a bit more, like with calling in etc. Since gosh it would be horrifying if the bill actually passed :( But I don't live in the US anymore, hehe....

#7 ShinaDutchAD

ShinaDutchAD
  • Banned from trading! Do not trade with this member!

• 532 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

Doing what I can to stop this one as well.

This stuff is just so fucking stupid.

-_-

#8 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:07 PM

Ahaha.. Oh god they can't be serious, can they? D; What even IS the correlation between No Fun Allowed the Internet and jobs??

Maybe they are saying the bill will allow them to create a new job opportunity where the potential employee's responsibility is to ban offending websites off the internet lol....

#9 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Man, I wish I could help out a bit more, like with calling in etc. Since gosh it would be horrifying if the bill actually passed :( But I don't live in the US anymore, hehe....

Presumeably about as much correlation as pizza and vegetables. From what I've seen, politicians will say anything, no matter how stupid, to defend something they want done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users