Photo

Anti Virus Options

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

Bought the laptop, 17.3", 350$, and very happy :)

I had to pirate bay Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint; which was kind of annoying... but my question is, before I download more things, which anti virus should I use?
It comes with Norton, with a free thirty day trial, but don't anti virus companies always offer like a one year free trial? And wouldn't it just be ideal to use that one year trial, remove the antivirus, and then download another free trial from another company? Suggestions?

Thanks :) And I just remembered to thank the rest of the people in my older thread :)

Edited by Persuasion, 25 November 2011 - 10:40 AM.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Just install a free one, I use Avast but there's a few other decent ones out there too.

#3 ShinaDutchAD

ShinaDutchAD
  • Banned from trading! Do not trade with this member!

• 532 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

I also use Avast Free. It's been perfect for me thus far.

I know there's also Panda.....AVG....other various free ones.

And instead of pirating word...you could have downloaded openoffice for free. It's the same exact thing *cough*

#4 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

MMk well I guess that's all I need =P A mod could lock this if they want :)

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

Which laptop did you end up getting btw?

#6 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

Don't use any of them. They all suck (Except nod32)

#7 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

I don't use any AV, I've found it largely unnecessary and sometimes downright irritating since it only ever detects false positives in the form of warez, or things such as cheat engine.

But, I would recommend NOD32, or if you want a free antivirus, AVG. Nothing irritates me more than a program that will slow your system to crawl just because OH, WE DETECTED A TRACKING COOKIE, BETTER SCAN ALL 700,000 FILES. The above examples are two of the more lightweight anti-viral choices.

Never get Norton. Ever. Just making it said.You will need to download specific tools from symantec to properly get rid of it from your system. That is what malware does.

Edited by Therion, 25 November 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#8 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

Norton was pre-installed though, haha, I'll figure out how to get rid of it; Yup, I'm mainly looking for light weight and simple to use, something that will do the job without slowing down my computer

I got probably the sexiest laptop in history, it looks amazing all around, and the screen is huge, etc; love it :) I had to wait for 3 hours in the cold to get a ticket, but well worth it - It's this one;

http://www.bestbuy.c...ref=10&slloc=01

And he's the picture from the add;

Posted Image

These pictures honestly don't do the laptop justice; it's HUGE ^_^

#9 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

I used to use AVG but I've switched to MSE. If you check it out, it's one of the only things Microsoft really gets right and it's free. I use it in conjunction with anti-spyware and anti-malware programs, but the best way to not get a virus is to not be a retard on the internet. Don't go to sites that will give you viruses. Be careful with your torrents and make sure you know where they're coming from. Or, if you must go to sketchy sites, frequently back your shit up and scan for issues. Keep all of your software up to date (and I don't just mean anti-viruses, things like your internet browser and operating system too) because a lot of viruses rely on security issues that can be patched by an update once the company gets their shit together and realizes they've got an issue. Just be cautious and you should be fine!

#10 ShinaDutchAD

ShinaDutchAD
  • Banned from trading! Do not trade with this member!

• 532 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

To get rid of Norton, you'll actually need to google a special uninstaller program.

Because if you don't use this program from Norton (I don't think they actively advertise it), it won't fully uninstall from your computer.

Norton is just horrible

#11 nyquil

nyquil
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

1322250296[/url]' post='1531686']
Don't use any of them. They all suck (Except nod32)

I'm with iargue on this Nod32 is the only anti-virus.

#12 yeah

yeah
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Gorgeous laptop. 2 good free options are SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, they work better than McAfee and Norton in my experience (:

#13 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

Well right now I'm stuck with using BitDefender, on top of Comodo.Both run well at the same time, and I have no issues so far. Both can be found on the net. I also have Malware Bytes thats a good free one to use just incase a virus goes crazy and disables your other programs.

#14 davidh93

davidh93
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

malewarebytes with spybot search and destroy. get rid of norton that thing is horrid

#15 Kass

Kass
  • 581 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have Norton and apparently everyone hates it XD I don't see why though, apart from the fact that it's nearly impossible to get rid of :/

Edited by ImmaBoss, 18 February 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

I had my laptop for two years or so with no virus/spyware/etc protection at all and it's been fine. (Then an overly-helpful person came and downloaded AVG for me. That's another story though.)

Just don't be stupid on the internet.

I use the school or library computers to download potentially damaging things, because they have better protection. Then I just move it to a thumbdrive and upload it to my laptop later.

#17 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

I have Norton and apparently everyone hates it XD I don't see why though, apart from the fact that it's nearly impossible to get rid of :/

Other than the fact that it does almost nothing?

Windows has a better anti-virus, and on top of that, it's free to download, unlike crap like Norton.

#18 TamerVirus

TamerVirus
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hmmm. Back with my old laptop I used Malwarebytes, but the laptop eventually died anyway. This time I'm using a legit Kapersky Anti Virus and things seen to be doin fine right now

#19 Tachyon

Tachyon
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user.

• 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I have never been impressed by Norton, you can download the free version of Avast which is far superior in my opinion.

#20 TheDealer

TheDealer
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Use OutPost Security or Avira, their free versions are both good choices :) I wouldn't recommend you to use the Windows antivirus, the free Avast is better than that!

#21 Gibby2

Gibby2
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

I would suggest that you uninstall all of the software that it comes with, as far as AV goes. You won't be happy, it won't work, and it will slow you down.
Try a free month of AVG, then maybe switch to the free version. It works like a charm!

#22 WaiZack

WaiZack
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Use OutPost Security or Avira, their free versions are both good choices :) I wouldn't recommend you to use the Windows antivirus, the free Avast is better than that!

Not agreed, the windows anti-virus actually outperforms the free versions of avast and avira

#23 Bazzel

Bazzel
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

I use comodo

#24 zandra

zandra
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

norton totally sucks, it eats way too much memory. and nothing is good other then their marketing. more then half the price you are paying probably goes into their marketing campaign.

I use avast, AVG is just too irritating with its scan on startup. i can still stand avast shocking me with that voice saying my antivirus is updated.

Malwarebytes is one of the best thing ever created (there was one from windows previously. something defender but it died) but those i guess is pretty much anti malware scans? not anti virus.

conclusion. just use avast. free, doesn't bug you or take up too much RAM.

#25 Mishatu

Mishatu
  • 346 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

I use avast, AVG is just too irritating with its scan on startup. i can still stand avast shocking me with that voice saying my antivirus is updated.

I have yet to see AVG scan on startup. Maybe you should change the settings? (And I am using the free version, if that makes a difference to you)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users