Quantcast

Photo

Will the major religions eventually die out?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#26 chini

chini
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:42 AM

The only way that atheism can be considered a "religion" is if the entire thing has a set of rules that everyone follows, or tries to follow. There aren't special rules or things you have to follow that are strictly tied to atheism. The only real thing people have in common is not having a belief in a God.

#27 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

The only way that atheism can be considered a "religion" is if the entire thing has a set of rules that everyone follows, or tries to follow. There aren't special rules or things you have to follow that are strictly tied to atheism. The only real thing people have in common is not having a belief in a God.

The phrase you're looking for is belief system. Atheism doesn't have a belief system, codified rules of behavior, a sacred text, or any faith related articles. All you need to confirm that is a bit of etymology: A- the- -ism. A- the lack of something, the- from theo or god, and -ism, a belief. Lack of a belief in a god.

#28 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

This is a daft question.
Not even Jesus can survive the eventual heat death of the universe.

It's arguable also that religion is such a changeable, personal thing that no two "christians" have the same religion, no two "jews", no two "muslims", and so forth.

#29 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

This is a daft question.
Not even Jesus can survive the eventual heat death of the universe.

It's arguable also that religion is such a changeable, personal thing that no two "christians" have the same religion, no two "jews", no two "muslims", and so forth.

Whereas almost everyone's conception of gravity is nearly identical. That is, until the next Galileo or Einstein comes along. Then religion gets to suppress scientific findings to keep us in the dark, further dividing and conquering the species.

#30 imjustbored

imjustbored
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

I think religion is a wonderful coping mechanism. For that one reason I hope it stays. It provides 'answers' to those who can't understand/find those elsewhere. Willd organized religion die out, most likely. I just hope certain values don't.

#31 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:53 AM

Whereas almost everyone's conception of gravity is nearly identical. That is, until the next Galileo or Einstein comes along. Then religion gets to suppress scientific findings to keep us in the dark, further dividing and conquering the species.

Not Newton? Little harsh :p But yes, quite so.

I think religion is a wonderful coping mechanism. For that one reason I hope it stays. It provides 'answers' to those who can't understand/find those elsewhere. Willd organized religion die out, most likely. I just hope certain values don't.

By "answers", I assume you mean "made up concepts with no explanatory power at all". Or "lies".

#32 imjustbored

imjustbored
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:25 AM

By "answers", I assume you mean "made up concepts with no explanatory power at all". Or "lies".

By 'answers', I was mainly using it in the sense of those that lack the mental capacity or ability to learn true scientific reasoning and deduction. Or it could give an emotionally unstable and irrational mind a reasoning for something.

I'm not saying I agree with it personally, but I'm more than capable of understanding how there are people out there that use religion as a form of guidance.

I think organized religion is a farse and a coping mechanism for the weak minded. That being said, it does have a positive side and until we understand the complete workings of the human brain, there will always be those who choose to 'believe' instead of look at reasoning.

#33 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

By 'answers', I was mainly using it in the sense of those that lack the mental capacity or ability to learn true scientific reasoning and deduction. Or it could give an emotionally unstable and irrational mind a reasoning for something.

I'm not saying I agree with it personally, but I'm more than capable of understanding how there are people out there that use religion as a form of guidance.

I think organized religion is a farse and a coping mechanism for the weak minded. That being said, it does have a positive side and until we understand the complete workings of the human brain, there will always be those who choose to 'believe' instead of look at reasoning.

Just checking.

#34 imjustbored

imjustbored
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

Just checking.

Joe you should know my standpoint on religion, hasn't changed in the 6 years we've argued on the debate forums.

- Bryan

#35 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

Joe you should know my standpoint on religion, hasn't changed in the 6 years we've argued on the debate forums.

- Bryan

I'm still not psychic enough to guess who you were, though xD Welcome back, asshat ^^

#36 imjustbored

imjustbored
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:34 AM

I'm still not psychic enough to guess who you were, though xD Welcome back, asshat ^^

Fuck, who else on the forum has used ' instead of " for everything in quotes, ever.

Glad to see you're not Psychic, yet.

#37 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

I chose Galileo and Einstein because they were both persecuted by religion, one for his scientific views, one for his ethnicity/religion. But yes, Newton too. I suppose you limeys can have a scientific hero of your own.

Glad to see you're not Psychic, yet.

There's a scary thought. Joe with Professor X powers. *shudders*

#38 Hoaxez

Hoaxez
  • 48 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

If I said something that is similar to others...I'm sorry

I think it's hard for Religion as a whole to die out because there is always disasters on this earth and people need hope.
When most people lost their hope they will find it in religion (not necessarily the major ones)
and I guess that is how things work.

(this topic reminds me of Childhood Lost a very interesting book...)

#39 Randi

Randi
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

I don't think it will. Muslims are the fastest growing religion out there at the moment.. Key word: growing. Religion may be "dying" here.. In North America.. But religion is still a major way of life in other countries.

Also, meant to add. I don't think there will *ever* be a time where there will be no believers. I know many many people who believe around my age, younger, older.. I am almost 21 now,

#40 d4lta

d4lta
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

I don't think it will. Muslims are the fastest growing religion out there at the moment.. Key word: growing. Religion may be "dying" here.. In North America.. But religion is still a major way of life in other countries.

Also, meant to add. I don't think there will *ever* be a time where there will be no believers. I know many many people who believe around my age, younger, older.. I am almost 21 now,

the reason its growing in them countries is because for the most part they all live like animals. use their hand to wipe ass's, women are second to men, no education/healthcare the list goes on. give it another 20 years and they will be just like the western world. and anyone who thinks the western world is bullshit, go live in an arab country for a few years (as a normal poor person) and you will soon change your mind. i'll take rising tax's over being a iraqy/afghani/iranian etc ANYDAY!

#41 OriginalFake

OriginalFake
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Being in college, I can say that the big religions (Christianity, Catholicism, etc) will be around for a while. I have some peers who revolve their lives around their religions and others who couldn't give two shits. In my opinion, I think that religion is something that comes and goes. Adolescents and older people are more likely to be religious due to the environment they're in (i.e. parents forcing them to go to chuch, older people thinking more about death and the after live).

#42 Averssion

Averssion
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Why does everyone keep listing Catholicism as a separate religion to Christianity? O_o

And so long as people are weakminded, ill-educated and/or live in poverty, there'll be religion.

Edited by Averssion, 06 April 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#43 lonewolf

lonewolf
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Why does everyone keep listing Catholicism as a separate religion to Christianity? O_o

And so long as people are weakminded, ill-educated and/or live in poverty, there'll be religion.

Yup, i agree; as the world gets harder, more people will start turning to religion, hoping that they will be saved. They will put faith into it because of their poverty because they have nothing else. So basically, if there were no more third world countries and poverty, the major religions WILL die out. I dont see this happening very soon, or ever, so there isnt a high chance of it happening :L

#44 Zirae

Zirae
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

Maybe there's a reason behind the longevity of these religions guys. They might be on to something;)

#45 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Maybe there's a reason behind the longevity of these religions guys. They might be on to something;)

Syphilis has been around for quite a while too.

#46 Zirae

Zirae
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Syphilis has been around for quite a while too.

LOL.

#47 califone

califone
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

In a past class I've taken, there was the idea that with our advancements in science and technology, we would eventually phase out religion as we become more knowledgeable about the world around us. Contrary to what many believed would happen, religion has actually grown in places such as the United States, where a majority of the public claims to hold some sort of religious affiliation. With this said, I personally believe that the major religions will be around until the end of human history.

#48 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

In a past class I've taken, there was the idea that with our advancements in science and technology, we would eventually phase out religion as we become more knowledgeable about the world around us. Contrary to what many believed would happen, religion has actually grown in places such as the United States, where a majority of the public claims to hold some sort of religious affiliation. With this said, I personally believe that the major religions will be around until the end of human history.

This might be believable if it wasn't for facts.

#49 Wrukag

Wrukag
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

I don't think they will. Hinduism, the oldest religion on the earth is still practiced by hundreds of millions.

#50 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Will the major religions die out?

I don't think we could get that lucky :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users