• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

My shitty, ancient clamshell phone (circa 2006!) is finally dying on me, and I've decided to go big and join the 21st century. Any smartphone suggestions?

I have Verizon, and I can get pretty much any phone they have right now for under $100 (and 22% off the monthly bill, having connections is great). Should I get something now or is there something good coming up I should wait for?

And, of course, Android vs. iPhone vs. Windows Phone?

Edited by Bone, 11 December 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#2 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

My shitty, ancient clamshell phone (circa 2006!) is finally dying on me, and I've decided to go big and join the 21st century. Any smartphone suggestions?

I have Verizon, and I can get pretty much any phone they have right now for under $100 (and 22% off the monthly bill, having connections is great). Should I get something now or is there something good coming up I should wait for?

And, of course, Android vs. iPhone vs. Windows Phone?

My last phone was a Blackberry, and now I have the Droid X2. I am far from an Apple fan boy, but wish I had gotten the iPhone. My phone is an absolute powerhouse, but my battery is dead by 6pm if it was a light usage day, or earlier if I used it a lot.

#3 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

iPhone all the way, though I have played around with a few Androids and they seemed pretty legit as well. I've heard nothing but bad things from blackberries though lol

#4 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

IMO iPhones, like most Apple products, are overpriced. I would get a windows phone.

I still have a clamshell phone :(

#5 ShinaDutchAD

ShinaDutchAD
  • Banned from trading! Do not trade with this member!

• 532 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

I second having a windows phone. I have one, and it's pretty decent!

Easy OS to move around in....great apps...and awesome battery life! (at least, with my phone it is)

I don't know what Windows Phones Verizon has, but I have an LG Quantum....and I wouldn't give it up for anything!

#6 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

Currently the best phones out IMO are the Samsung Galaxy S II if you like Android, or the iPhone 4S if you like iOS. I am not a fan of the Windows phones. I am a two-time Blackberry owner (9700 and 8320) and I believe they are amazing devices but a bit dated. RIM needs to release their QNX OS used on the Playbook onto their phones, which will happen in 2012.

The Galaxy Nexus is coming out soon in the US, first phone with Android 4.0. Unfortunately the graphics processor is severely lacking even compared to an iPhone 4S.

#7 nyquil

nyquil
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

i have an iPhone 4 and love it. I'm not an Apple fan boy just happen to get the phone. My friends have windows phones and like them but i find them kinda lack luster. I would push you to go to iPhone personally but if you can't muster up the money i'd say Andriod is the next option. but hey you might like Windows phones so go find a friend that has one test it out maybe you will like it more then i did >.<

#8 Darkthrone

Darkthrone
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:49 AM

I'll be getting the Nexus in a couple of weeks.

Had an iPhone since 2g and I fucking hate them now. Being a PC user I'm sick of having to deal with their shitty software. I've also noticed that iPhones tend to slow down really quickly and the one I currently have is pretty much grinding to a halt with even moderate use. Looking forward to experiencing Android, especially on the Nexus.

#9 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

I like my blackberry bold, but I suggest a samsung galaxy

#10 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

I have an iphone 3 something or another that I got when they were on sale for $49. The only things I don't like about it is that the calendar it comes with Suuuuuuucks and I also hate that I had to download itunes and consolidate all my music because I'm a total freak about how things are organized on my computer. Other than that, it's served me well and was 10 times better than my old cell phone which was a Virgin Mobile pay as you go Oyster... I would receive texts hours after they'd been sent. I was living in the past, man!!

Whatever you decide to get, download the Bakery Story app and be my neighbor!

#11 contour

contour
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

Go with a Windows Phone, they're only gonna get more and more popular (leading to more features).

#12 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

Darn, I was hoping for a more unified response.

I guess the message is: get a Windows phone, a Galaxy, or an iPhone. I'm leaning towards iPhone, if only for the snob appeal.

Also, (and this shouldn't be a major factor in my decision, but alas) does Words With Friends work cross-platform?

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Why don't you go to a phone shop and actually try some phones out? Then you'll be able to see which you like yourself.

#14 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Why don't you go to a phone shop and actually try some phones out? Then you'll be able to see which you like yourself.

I've played around with both iPhones and Android phones and don't really have much of a preference for either OS.
I'll be checking out some Windows phones, based on what people have said. I've never actually seen one.

Sorry, i r no gud at brand loyalty. :(

#15 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Since you're going to be with Verizon, definately get the Galaxy Nexus.
with its dual core 1.2GHz processor and 1GB of ram, combined with however much internal storage you get, AND the fact that xda forums/all other android related forums will keep making and updating custom roms for it long after its discontinued, it can't really be beat.

#16 DreadPirateRoberts

DreadPirateRoberts
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

hold out for an iphone 5

#17 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

I'm a fan of Windows Phone. Much prettier than Android. In Microsoft fashion they're six months behind, but it's already a solid product and it will be tied with iOS in any native feature. If you are interested in Zune, Xbox, SkyDrive integration or the pretty UI, consider it.

#18 Chalk

Chalk
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

If you want decent get a windows phone. If you want spectacular I'd get an iPhone. The only cons I see is the price and the price of the monthly bill. I got my iPhone for free from a friend, and a flashed it so I could go with T-Mobiles plan. It's pretty nice. Has gotten me out of some stressful situations on multiple occasions, especially with directions.

hold out for an iphone 5

They just came out with iPhone 4S. They have gotten an excuse to buy time, so that would take a while. :3

Edited by Chalk, 12 December 2011 - 08:30 PM.

#19 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

blahblahblah. This post has self destructed.

Edited by WharfRat, 15 December 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#20 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

So, as you may or may not know, I work in a call center for one of the major cellular service providers in America. (

I just spent 2 minutes trying to find the bracket to match that one. I not find :(

On topic: HTC. I have the HTC Desire HD and I fucking love it. Out of almost every piece of hardware I've owned in many years (consoles, phones, tablet etc), this is the only one I have not softmodded in any way, even though I easily have the option to. I haven't looked at the HD2 but I'm sure it's just as good. The HTC android overlay (Sense UI) is great and I've had no problems so far. With my iPhone 3G, I always felt that apple didn't give a shit about anyone on an older generation and honestly, they're extremely limited and never change.

#21 Darkthrone

Darkthrone
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

)

#22 Silentqueen

Silentqueen
  • 187 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

If it's a smart phone you want Samsung Galaxy is really good (my coworker has one and it looks good too), and cheaper than iPhone, otherwise I'd suggest iPhone if the price doesn't matter.

I had enough of my LG cookie, am getting a BB for x-mas. It's just so darn hard to speed type an sms on a touchphone imo.

#23 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks a lot super-secret poster of phone knowledge. I've decided on a Galaxy Nexus or iPhone, time will tell.

Thank you everyone for the input!

#24 w0000t

w0000t
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

I quite enjoy my black berry bold. Galaxy nexus is a great phone though?

#25 davidh93

davidh93
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

i would go android rather than iphone, i like the open os

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users