Top 5 movies

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

I sorta need some movies to watch. I watched a whole bunch of them over the break but I've run out of ideas.

So this is like an impromptu way of getting new ideas. Just give me a list of your top 5 favorite movies. Or more than 5, whatever.

I'll go with movies I've seen recently-ish. If I went with all-time favorites it would be a pretty predictable list.

1. Un Prophete - French prison movies. Absolutely no hollywood cliches present.
2. Primer - I've seen this 4 times and still only understand about 70% of the plot
3. In Bruges - unique kind of story line but a really enjoyed watching it
4. Porco Rosso - from Studio Ghibli
5. Nausicaa - this is from studio ghibli before they officially became studio ghibli but also a fantastic movie(released in 1986 I believe)

#2 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:33 AM

Please don't judge my tastes

Movies are not in any specific order

Boondocks Saints
Mulan
Tangled
Up
Finding Nemo
Lion King

One is not like the others. It's late and I can't find the energy to really think.

#3 chipmunk

chipmunk
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

A few of my favorites

Contact

Long Kiss Goodnight

Pan's Labyrinth

How to train your dragon

The golden compass

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:29 AM

I can't really do a definitive favourite films list but some of them would include:

• Papillon
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • The Deer Hunter
  • Once upon a time in America
  • All the Monty Python films

#5 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:45 AM

Please don't judge my tastes

Movies are not in any specific order

Boondocks Saints
Mulan
Tangled
Up
Finding Nemo
Lion King

One is not like the others. It's late and I can't find the energy to really think.

Seen all of them except Boondock Saints. It's on my list but I haven't heard good things about it. Mulan was great!

I can't really do a definitive favourite films list but some of them would include:

• Papillon
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • The Deer Hunter
  • Once upon a time in America
  • All the Monty Python films

The Deer Hunter was tremendously boring. Monty Python....I can't even crack a smile while watching it. As a result I'm weary of the rest of your list. :p

#6 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:11 AM

Not in any order:

• Redline
  • Lilo and Stitch
  • Tangled
  • Pretty much any Studio Ghibli film, especially My Neigbour Totoro and Spirited Away :3
  • The Lion King
Oops I only really watch animated films :p
Can't help that I appreciate great animation~

#7 Spirited

Spirited
  • 677 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:19 AM

You would have probably watched my favourites but here are some I really like too.

1. Wild Child
2. You're the Apple of My Eye (chinese movie, but with eng subs) *pokes sig*
3. Kungfu Panda 2
4. The Social Network
5. Secret (chinese movie by Jay Chou)

Edited by Fireworks, 04 January 2012 - 04:21 AM.

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

The Deer Hunter was tremendously boring. Monty Python....I can't even crack a smile while watching it. As a result I'm weary of the rest of your list. :p

There's something wrong with you. :p

#9 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:09 AM

I loved un prophete! If you're into foreign films you should check out The Lives of Others. You've more than likely seen all the films on my list.

1 - Schindler's List
2 - LOTR Trilogy
3 - Shawshank Redemption
4 - Silence of the Lambs
5 - Watchmen
6 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
7 - Black Swan
8 - Pulp Fiction

EDIT:
Other notable movies:

300 (Sin City isn't bad either, but is a bit too gritty for my taste), Braveheart, Forrest Gump, Requiem for a Dream, Taxi Driver, The Usual Suspects, V for Vendetta

Edited by MsRose, 04 January 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#10 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

I know, right? I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail with my bf, and the only thing he laughed at was the part where the bridge keeper didn't know if it was an African or a European swallow and got thrown off the bridge. That was the only part that made him crack a smile. I was like... what the hell is wrong with this guy? However, he seemed to enjoy Dr. Strangelove.
Some of my favs...

Mad Max
Sweeney Todd
Shaolin Soccer
Kill Bill
Amelie

Man, I was thinking of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind the other day. I think it is the best love story I've ever seen. I always cry when I think of it. Same with Edward Scissorhands. I just think of Vincent Price and... Niagra Falls, Frankie angel. 

#11 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

Boondock Saints #1 (2 isn't as good in my opinion)
Inception
Departed
Rat Race (Most I have ever laughed at a movie I believe, only watch it once though because it's not funny the second time around)
Butterfly Effect

List in no particular order, I am sure there are a few I cannot recall. Also Watchmen was mentioned above, pretty good as well.

#12 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Pan's Labyrinth
The golden compass

How on Earth can you possibly have these on the same list?!

Pan's Labyrinth is a masterclass in gritty fantasy, and The Golden Compass is a step-by-step guide on how not to adapt a bestselling book to film.

#13 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

More than 5, in no particular order...
  • Pan's Labyrinth
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • Sweeney Todd
  • 12 Angry Men
  • The Lion King
  • LOTR trilogy
  • Mulholland Drive
  • Spirited Away
  • North by Northwest
If I had to pick a #1, it would be Dr. Strangelove for sure.
Posted Image

Oh, looking through some other posts [Punk's] I see I forgot to mention Edward Scissorhands (Tim Burton fanboi right here) and Monty Python. Unforgivable!

#14 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

In no order:
American History X
American Beauty
12 Angry Men
Fight Club
Lion King

#15 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Inglourious Basterds
Bench Warmers
...I have more swarming in my mind though I cannot decide on what is a favourite.

#16 chipmunk

chipmunk
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

How on Earth can you possibly have these on the same list?!

Pan's Labyrinth is a masterclass in gritty fantasy, and The Golden Compass is a step-by-step guide on how not to adapt a bestselling book to film.

I watched The Golden Compass before I read the series, so I enjoyed it for what it was, not what it could have been :p

Edited by chipmunk, 04 January 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#17 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Finding Nemo
Shrek 2
The life of Brian
Breakfast on jupiter
Fear and loathing in las vegas

Posted Image

#18 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Don't get me wrong though, those are very popular movies. I just can't bring myself to enjoy them. =P

#19 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

I still haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth....its been on my list FOREVER! Next chance I get, that's what I'm watching :p

#20 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

I loved un prophete! If you're into foreign films you should check out The Lives of Others. You've more than likely seen all the films on my list.

1 - Schindler's List
2 - LOTR Trilogy
3 - Shawshank Redemption
4 - Silence of the Lambs
5 - Watchmen
6 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
7 - Black Swan
8 - Pulp Fiction

Seen #3 and up. I gotta watch LOTR one of these days because I'm sure it's good but I can never go through it.

"The Lives of Others" looks nice. I think I'll see it tonight =D

I know, right? I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail with my bf, and the only thing he laughed at was the part where the bridge keeper didn't know if it was an African or a European swallow and got thrown off the bridge. That was the only part that made him crack a smile. I was like... what the hell is wrong with this guy? However, he seemed to enjoy Dr. Strangelove.
Some of my favs...

Mad Max
Sweeney Todd
Shaolin Soccer
Kill Bill
Amelie

Man, I was thinking of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind the other day. I think it is the best love story I've ever seen. I always cry when I think of it. Same with Edward Scissorhands. I just think of Vincent Price and... Niagra Falls, Frankie angel.

Eternal Sunshine almost made me cry. I mean I was really close but it didn't carry on with the sadness long enough for me to go over the threshold. That said, it was a great love story. Btw, Mad Max 2 I think is better than the first. Have you seen it?

#21 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'm surprised at the general level of quality of movies that people have chosen on this thread, kudos.

Some of my favorites are:

Gladiator
Up in the Air
Crazy Stupid Love

I love watching movies, as well as blowing off school work, so I've seen a good amount of the movies that you guys have said, I like a bunch of them, but these I immediately knew after watching that I would watch them again soon.

To the OP: I've had Primer and In Bruges downloaded for some time now and still haven't found the time for them, but I'm looking forward to them, Primer in particular.

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

I watched The Golden Compass before I read the series, so I enjoyed it for what it was, not what it could have been :p

But as a standalone film it was poorly plotted, and made no sense, leaping from a disconnected nonsense script to ill-concieved, half-realised, meaningless special effects, and back again.

#23 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

Speaking of The Golden Compass, those books are one of my favorite series. And speaking of the movie, my little brother had it on, I watched 1 minute and left the room because I didn't want the movie to ruin the books for me lol. Same with Eragon and Hitchhiker's Guide

#24 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Showgirls

#25 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Eternal Sunshine almost made me cry. I mean I was really close but it didn't carry on with the sadness long enough for me to go over the threshold. That said, it was a great love story. Btw, Mad Max 2 I think is better than the first. Have you seen it?

I might have sat through the Road Warrior once. I liked the villians and the transformation of Max as this nice family man to vengeful killer in the first movie. The villians in the second movie were over the top ridiculous, and were a horrible misrepresentation of homosexuality. Also, the clothing of the people in the colony and that retarded feral child were too 80's feeling to me, whereas the first Mad Max, made rather cheaply, had a timeless quality about it. The Mad Max trilogy takes place in the future. It's hard for me to look at this and think, "Headbands like these will make a comeback"
Posted Image

The dog was okay, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users