Photo

Can I get the raw files for a program?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wesmaster

wesmaster
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

Hello, I am wanting to start building programs for for neopets. I current do a lot of programming in HTML, CSS, PHP, etc. I have also built a couple E-commerce stores in Python before. I am a pretty good programmer & would like to start helping out with providing programs for everyone...

So I wanted to know if I could get the raw files of any program at all just so I can see first hand how everything is built. It would give me a huge head start in being able to understand everything.

My ultimate goal is to become a part of the programming team here and start developing programs for everyones enjoyment :). I do know that there are some tutorials here and have ready them. But It would just be so much easier for me to understand everything if I could actually see the contents of a program.

Please let me know if I could get this done for me :)

Thank you!!

#2 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

Hello, I am wanting to start building programs for for neopets. I current do a lot of programming in HTML, CSS, PHP, etc. I have also built a couple E-commerce stores in Python before. I am a pretty good programmer & would like to start helping out with providing programs for everyone...

So I wanted to know if I could get the raw files of any program at all just so I can see first hand how everything is built. It would give me a huge head start in being able to understand everything.

My ultimate goal is to become a part of the programming team here and start developing programs for everyones enjoyment :). I do know that there are some tutorials here and have ready them. But It would just be so much easier for me to understand everything if I could actually see the contents of a program.

Please let me know if I could get this done for me :)

Thank you!!

Asking for source code to programs is kind of a tall order, especially considering you only have 5 posts. Although, if I was a programmer here I wouldn't mind giving you a break down of how the program is designed and leave it up to you fill in the details and blanks. It really just comes down to an issue of trust. In the past(many years ago) the programming team wasn't so secretive and small, so it wasn't uncommon for some programmers to openly share their source code, but only for public programs. Anyway, someone who's built online store in python shouldn't have a problem figuring out how to make some neopets programs.

#3 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

Like Melchoire said, I doubt you'll be given access to the repository or any of the source files on it. The main down side to programming without access to the source is you cannot integrate it with the program manager and fit the same coding/program standards. You could probably go and look back at some of the older Java/Visual Basic source files available here to get an idea of how neopets programming works and go from there.

#4 wesmaster

wesmaster
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

Understandable, but even if could just get something as simple as the basic login. It just helps so much to be able to actually see how the basic frame work is designed.

However, even If I can not get anything I am sure I will figure it out as I am quite a strong programmer :). I have a couple ideas I want to develop including (but not limited to):
1) A full NQII auto player. Will take a LONG time, but is possible, this would be one that I work on for months lol.
2) Shop wizard autobuyer that searches for select items and buys them if under a certain price.
3) One that you can leave on that auto plays time restricted things such as wheel of excitement.
4) One you can run that plays all daily things such as: Wise old king, fishing, tombola, etc.
5) Magma pool program that refreshes ever 15 minutes until it finds out when the guard is asleep so you can paint your pet.
6) One that goes and gets all the easy to get avatars.
7) One to go and get all BD challangers. It would sit and refresh where needed to in order to get certain ones such as snow beast.

I have a couple more written down as well. So as you can see i am quite determined to start on this, I am well able to as I have been program since I was 15 (8 years ago). But I fully understand me being so new here and not well known at all that some may be sceptical. But even if I could just get a basic set up with just the login to Neopets it would be sooo helpful. All I need is the basic building blocks to help me get on the way :).

#5 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

I would think that doing a neo login for someone programming for 8 years would be incredibly simple, but here's one posted on Pyro669s Python tutorial:

Spoiler

#6 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

Understandable, but even if could just get something as simple as the basic login. It just helps so much to be able to actually see how the basic frame work is designed.

However, even If I can not get anything I am sure I will figure it out as I am quite a strong programmer :). I have a couple ideas I want to develop including (but not limited to):
1) A full NQII auto player. Will take a LONG time, but is possible, this would be one that I work on for months lol.
2) Shop wizard autobuyer that searches for select items and buys them if under a certain price.
3) One that you can leave on that auto plays time restricted things such as wheel of excitement.
4) One you can run that plays all daily things such as: Wise old king, fishing, tombola, etc.
5) Magma pool program that refreshes ever 15 minutes until it finds out when the guard is asleep so you can paint your pet.
6) One that goes and gets all the easy to get avatars.
7) One to go and get all BD challangers. It would sit and refresh where needed to in order to get certain ones such as snow beast.

I have a couple more written down as well. So as you can see i am quite determined to start on this, I am well able to as I have been program since I was 15 (8 years ago). But I fully understand me being so new here and not well known at all that some may be sceptical. But even if I could just get a basic set up with just the login to Neopets it would be sooo helpful. All I need is the basic building blocks to help me get on the way :).

The neopets login is really simple:
1) Get user's username and password
2) Using some sort of HTTP library send a POST request to the login page with that username and password.
3) Once you receive a response, check the content for keywords that may indicate if it was successful or not. Ie, if the page has the phrase "wrong password" then the password was wrong, if the new page's location is neopia central then the login was successful

The programs here are written by a group who integrate everything with the program manager. You can't do that integration without having the source code. You can't get that source code unless you're on the team.

In the past one of our programmers made an ActiveX control(for neocodex authentication) that anyone could attach to their programs without having the source. But they transitioned away from that once they started writing everything in python.

#7 wesmaster

wesmaster
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Thanks! :) Much appreciated.

#8 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Thanks! :) Much appreciated.

Use the forums to your advantage. If you're having trouble just ask and someone will answer =]

On a side note to mods, there was another post in this thread. Why was it erased? It didn't seem very offensive to me...

#9 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Use the forums to your advantage. If you're having trouble just ask and someone will answer =]

On a side note to mods, there was another post in this thread. Why was it erased? It didn't seem very offensive to me...

It's a conspiracy.

#10 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Pretty much what soul said...

I originally joined this place with the sole purpose of getting on the programming team. After proving that i knew exactly what it was that i was doing (by showing them videos of my programs in action... like this one). (Side note: Thats how the neggsweeper program works behind the scenes)

Show us that you might actually be of use to us and the team will discuss it. We need to know that you are dedicated and willing to work; we dont like having people join, work for a week, then not do anything for several months... Not going to name names there :p

#11 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Pretty much what soul said...

I originally joined this place with the sole purpose of getting on the programming team. After proving that i knew exactly what it was that i was doing (by showing them videos of my programs in action... like this one). (Side note: Thats how the neggsweeper program works behind the scenes)

Show us that you might actually be of use to us and the team will discuss it. We need to know that you are dedicated and willing to work; we dont like having people join, work for a week, then not do anything for several months... Not going to name names there :p

Not to hard to figure it out who you are talking there :p. One of them came back though?

#12 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

There are a few who showed interest in joining only to have contributed little to nothing :p

#13 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

There are a few who showed interest in joining only to have contributed little to nothing :p

I was pretty up-front about not being able to guarantee long participation :p

#14 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

I was pretty up-front about not being able to guarantee long participation :p

I wasnt talking about you xD There is a reason i didnt name names :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users