Photo

VPN question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jun

Jun
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ok, i have to say i don't have much knowledge about VPN, and such things. I have recently learnt about proxies to stay safe, but had some issues already about 100% safety. Checking some guides and so, i saw VPN is a better way to hide your ip. (Correct me if im wrong) Yeah, i dont have much idea about what VPN does so i wanted to askget answers/ discuss here with the experienced ppl.

I started to work as a Junior (Intern) SAP Consultant last summer, and just realised i may have something useful in hand for hiding my ip if VPN really does it. My company gave me a laptop, and that laptop includes a VPN program (if i guess right) named "Check Point Endpoint Connect". This is the screen you see when you start it.

Posted Image

I also have a working username and a password that company provided me when i started to work. So, since i don't know what VPN actually does, im asking you, is this an advantage for me to have those? Can i hide my ip better with those i have? Suggestion/tips? Everything you can tell me is welcomed.

EDIT: At the main screen of the program, the part that wants "Site" is filled auto. on my laptop, writing vpn.(company name).com.tr

Edited by Junjun, 31 January 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#2 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

I just use the Windows Remote Desktop to access my VM~

What this is doing is connecting you to a VIRTUAL computer that is situated on a server somewhere in a datacenter (usually). The window that you get is essentially your looking glass that you can see and interact with that computer through, but everything you do on it is actually done on THAT computer, not yours. So any interactions with anything online would be through the virtual machine's IP, not your home IP.

I love love LOVE my VM because you pull it up anywhere from any computer and always have the same IP. I can even use it on my phone while I am out and about (yes I have AB'ed from my phone).

#3 Jun

Jun
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

so you say, if i use my id and pass on this program and run my connection, i can 100% safely cheat on my laptop? Will it apply to all browser eventhough whatever ip i use on them? Do i have to do anything else than using this program? (the one i sent its image)

#4 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

There is no such thing as 100% safe cheating. But if you're asking if they [TNT] will be able to see your home IP if you are browsing through your VPN, the answer is no. Everything you do on that machine is done on THAT machine. You're just controlling it remotely. Whether you log in from your house or in China it won't matter. I am not familiar with that particular program but if it's what signs you into the VPN then you shouldn't have to do anything else.

#5 Jun

Jun
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Now that was a very useful info for me, and i count myself very lucky to own a free VPN. After connecting to VPN, where can i check if it works properly or not? A common proxy checker site will keep doing that job, or do i have to do it in another way?

And by saying 100% safe cheating, i was meaning to protect my main, as long as my main is protected i dont care if the shell is frozen or not, i cheat for fun :p I can also call VPN is 100% better than using a proxy, even better than a paid one, right?

Once i am connected to VPN, do i have to leave proxy part of the program manager blank? And probably same with my browsers?

Edited by Junjun, 31 January 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#6 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

I just wrote out a reply and fucking lost it -.-

Anyway, what Nymh is talking about is a virtual pc or remote desktop connection. If you have one of these you're just controlling another computer as she's already explained. This is ideal if you have access to one.

A VPN however is a Virtual Private Network. It allows you to create a network connection on your computer that acts as though you're located in the office, plugged directly into to network there. This is not another computer, this is still your computer, it just acts as though it's in another location. In businesses this allows you to use their printers, internal servers etc. In your case, it allows you to cheat as though you were in your office. Be aware though that if your office logs internet traffic they'll be able to see what you're doing.

To check it's working:

• Visit www.whatismyip.com without VPN enabled
  • Note your IP
  • Enable your VPN
  • Visit www.whatismyip.com again
They should be different.

Programs, for example the program manager, would be able to tell you're on the same computer because they can check the hardware on your computer. Neopets however cannot :)

#7 Jun

Jun
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

I just wrote out a reply and fucking lost it -.-

Anyway, what Nymh is talking about is a virtual pc or remote desktop connection. If you have one of these you're just controlling another computer as she's already explained. This is ideal if you have access to one.

A VPN however is a Virtual Private Network. It allows you to create a network connection on your computer that acts as though you're located in the office, plugged directly into to network there. This is not another computer, this is still your computer, it just acts as though it's in another location. In businesses this allows you to use their printers, internal servers etc. In your case, it allows you to cheat as though you were in your office. Be aware though that if your office logs internet traffic they'll be able to see what you're doing.

To check it's working:

• Visit www.whatismyip.com without VPN enabled
  • Note your IP
  • Enable your VPN
  • Visit www.whatismyip.com again
They should be different.

Programs, for example the program manager, would be able to tell you're on the same computer because they can check the hardware on your computer. Neopets however cannot :)

Nicely explained. Thank you both for your effort +rep. Also, at program manager's web settings, will i leave the proxy ip/port part blank, (also should i set browsers' proxies to default to browse neopets?) after using VPN? Ill just log to SAP and act like im working, and also play neopets. Probably they wont care about what im doing as they will see im also working :p

Edited by Junjun, 01 February 2012 - 01:32 AM.

#8 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

Nicely explained. Thank you both for your effort +rep. Also, at program manager's web settings, will i leave the proxy ip/port part blank, (also should i set browsers' proxies to default to browse neopets?) after using VPN? Ill just log to SAP and act like im working, and also play neopets. Probably they wont care about what im doing as they will see im also working :p

Some companies use a proxy. If yours does, you'll need to use that otherwise you won't be able to connect to the internet. If not, leave them blank.
You cheeky bastard, making it look like you're doing overtime? xD

#9 Jun

Jun
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

Some companies use a proxy. If yours does, you'll need to use that otherwise you won't be able to connect to the internet. If not, leave them blank.
You cheeky bastard, making it look like you're doing overtime? xD

So after started to use VPN, ill compare my ips and see if it changes or not on whatismyip.com. If it changes, ill use the changed ip as my proxy in the program manager? Should i also add that proxy to my browsers?

I always have permission to practice my SAP skills eventhough im not at work, and for logging to SAP, i must use VPN, to get access to the company's test server. I don't think they will reward/think better about me just because of this. I'll have to lie to the company, like i do to TNT. So many lies, oh well.. Gimme more NP and i dont care about the rest. :p

Edited by Junjun, 01 February 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#10 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

So after started to use VPN, ill compare my ips and see if it changes or not on whatismyip.com. If it changes, ill use the changed ip as my proxy in the program manager? Should i also add that proxy to my browsers?

I always have permission to practice my SAP skills eventhough im not at work, and for logging to SAP, i must use VPN, to get access to the company's test server. I don't think they will reward/think better about me just because of this. I'll have to lie to the company, like i do to TNT. So many lies, oh well.. Gimme more NP and i dont care about the rest. :p

No, if the IP has changed and you can connect to the internet, then the program manager should use the same connection. I don't know if there's any way to check which connection the manager is using for sure though, as that would be a guarantee.

For example, in my last company, we had to use a proxy while at work if we wanted internet. Without the proxy, we had no internet, even when at the office. Because you are simulating being at the office, if your company do this thing, you'll have to do it at home too. If you don't have to use a proxy when you go into work physically, then you shouldn't need to now. Just leave everything blank.

#11 Jun

Jun
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

No, if the IP has changed and you can connect to the internet, then the program manager should use the same connection. I don't know if there's any way to check which connection the manager is using for sure though, as that would be a guarantee.

For example, in my last company, we had to use a proxy while at work if we wanted internet. Without the proxy, we had no internet, even when at the office. Because you are simulating being at the office, if your company do this thing, you'll have to do it at home too. If you don't have to use a proxy when you go into work physically, then you shouldn't need to now. Just leave everything blank.

I don't think we have to use a proxy, i have never been told such thing. Ok then, ill check if my ip changes after VPN to be sure it works, and if it works, ill use everything (browsers and program manager) at default web settings, like i dont use a proxy or VPN. Hopefully i got everything right, thanks for your time and care, if anything i dont expect happens, for sure ill spam your PM box *evil laugh*

#12 Xexist

Xexist
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Some really good information here by Sida.

#13 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

I just use the Windows Remote Desktop to access my VM~

What this is doing is connecting you to a VIRTUAL computer that is situated on a server somewhere in a datacenter (usually). The window that you get is essentially your looking glass that you can see and interact with that computer through, but everything you do on it is actually done on THAT computer, not yours. So any interactions with anything online would be through the virtual machine's IP, not your home IP.

I love love LOVE my VM because you pull it up anywhere from any computer and always have the same IP. I can even use it on my phone while I am out and about (yes I have AB'ed from my phone).

Just curious. . . how exactly do you go about doing THAT?

#14 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Just curious. . . how exactly do you go about doing THAT?

Doing what?

#15 Xexist

Xexist
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Doing what?

Could be wrong, but he is asking where you manage to get a VM in the first place, to remote into. If he isnt asking it, I am :)

#16 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Could be wrong, but he is asking where you manage to get a VM in the first place, to remote into. If he isnt asking it, I am :)

There are a lot websites that offer hosted desktops. Check google :)

You could of course always set up your own if you're able to get a computer in another location. You can then just enable remote desktop on it and use it as your cheating box, checking up on it every now and again.
Hell, because you'll remote desktop into it, you don't even need a monitor, keyboard and mouse for it (except when you first set it up). Just turn it on, leave it in the corner somewhere else and let it run your progs.

You could even go as far as putting VMs on that machine, so it's actually like 3-4 computers running on one box in the corner causing no trouble. Each VM runs Abrosia, each with different proxies etc...you get the idea :p

#17 grapefruit

grapefruit
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

There are a lot websites that offer hosted desktops. Check google :)

You could of course always set up your own if you're able to get a computer in another location. You can then just enable remote desktop on it and use it as your cheating box, checking up on it every now and again.
Hell, because you'll remote desktop into it, you don't even need a monitor, keyboard and mouse for it (except when you first set it up). Just turn it on, leave it in the corner somewhere else and let it run your progs.

You could even go as far as putting VMs on that machine, so it's actually like 3-4 computers running on one box in the corner causing no trouble. Each VM runs Abrosia, each with different proxies etc...you get the idea :p

THAT sounds like fun. I have an extra tower that I use mostly as a foot stool now. How would one set that up? Would I just be able to google it?

#18 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

This is what my VM is, it is on a server like 130 miles away with dozens of other VM's. I looooooooooove it.

#19 Claws

Claws
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

The mos expensive alternative is a DPS (Dedicated Private Server). These will be expensive (try $200+/month) however the systems have their own dedicated memory, hard drives, network speeds etc. they don't share processing power like the VPS do.

So a DPS would be the fastest?
I have a VPN but it's really slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users