Keratosis Pilaris

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

Posted Image

Basically is skin with lots of bumps, usually results with ingrown hairs underneath these bumps.
I finally found the correct name for this, and was wondering if anyone else had this too.
I have it on my upper arms and my upper thigh and less severely on my face.
Has anyone successfully treated this? I really want it to go away :(

#2 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

http://emedicine.med...70651-treatment

#3 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

i have this on my arms too, and so do a lot of my asian girl friends.
my mom said she had them too, but they smoothed out as she got older. i don't think its something to worry about

#4 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

http://emedicine.med...70651-treatment

I was looking more for success stories from people here because I'm worried that some people just lie to promote a product Posted Image
Creams and ointments have not worked for me so far, I have a collection of these now

i have this on my arms too, and so do a lot of my asian girl friends.
my mom said she had them too, but they smoothed out as she got older. i don't think its something to worry about

My mom said the same thing, except hers cleared up by my age :(
It only goes away for some people

#5 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Hey I have this too

#6 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

was expecting Scot to say something epic whoa.
yeah, i don't thnk theres anything wrong with it at all o.O

#7 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

Are you sure it isn't just goosebumps?

#8 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

The bumps are there 24/7 :(

yeah, i don't thnk theres anything wrong with it at all o.O

Lets say if you have white skin and KP give you red bumps...

#9 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

I usually get bumps like that after doing a shitty job shaving my legs. It goes away with LIGHT exfoliation and some moisturizing lotion. (that's assuming it really is ingrown hairs)

#10 DeathKnightX

DeathKnightX
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

I have this too. I'm OCD so I spend lots of time trying to pick the ingrown hairs out.

Edited by DeathKnightX, 01 February 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#11 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

I heard this was a gene mutation. :)

#12 Goose

Goose
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

I have this too. I'm OCD so I spend lots of time trying to pick the ingrown hairs out.

That could result in scarring... :/

I have had this, small patches and they have gone away, but I've had friends with it and noticed it...Personally I don't think it's something you should be worried about! It's not unattractive at all, it's just some bumps, I doubt anyone you know would even spare it a second thought if they even noticed at all.

Edited by Goose, 01 February 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#13 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Cool! I wonder what kind of powers I'll get

#14 ch33psh33p

ch33psh33p
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Grew out of it, had it when I was little, pretty much gone now.

#15 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

Is this not traditionally the job of some sort of medical professional?

Everything is a gene mutation.

#16 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

Is this not traditionally the job of some sort of medical professional?

Those fools couldn't even identify what those bumps were >_____>

#17 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

Are you not sure that you don't positively never know better than everyone?

Lets say if you have white skin and KP give you red bumps...

Then you have herpes.

Those fools couldn't even identify what those bumps were >_____>

Right... so from the picture the bumps aren't discolored. If your skin has raised bumps that also show color, you might not have correctly identified it.

I would see a dermatologist, for real. A second opinion never hurts. So long as it comes from a professional and not an internet forum. I get that you're just soliciting advice, but really, I doubt anyone here can help you professionally.

#18 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

Nope, don't have those kinds of bumps :o But I do have little spot things on my shoulders/shoulder blades/upper arms, which are kiiiinnnda like zits but a lot smaller and they come off really easily if I itch them etc and don't hurt when they come off >w>

I wonder what they could be~

#19 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:39 AM

Everything is a gene mutation.

You're really enjoying that acronym tag, aren't you? :p

#20 holaCarlos

holaCarlos
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:30 AM

Yeah, plenty of people have this though they might not necessarily be aware about it or care. I've read a lot of success stories about Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Plus Intensive Repair Creme (that's a mouthful, ain't it). When I went to a dermatologist many, many, years ago she prescribed an acne peeling cream plus a bunch of other stuff. I went home with a bunch of meds I never used.

I have a few patches, but my biggest concern is the one under my chin. It's more severe on one side than the other, but I still hate the bumpy feeling whenever I touch my face. I've noticed some improvement one one side after moisturizing with lotion (I usually use the Aveeno daily one, but I'm not all that consistent), but the other side remains as bumpy as ever because I fucked around with it when I was younger...

Anyways. I'm convinced that if I drink plenty of water and get plenty of exercise while continuing to exfoliate and moisturize regularly, the bumps will sort themselves out.

What creams have you tried? Have you been consistent?

#21 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

Have you tried sandpaper?

#22 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

You're really enjoying that acronym tag, aren't you? :p

I was going to type the same thing xD

#23 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

I have KP. Unfortunately I also have OCD. Did you know if you squeeze the bumps, little balls of keratin pop out? Fun huh. I can't stand to have a bump on my skin, I must squeeze it. KP is an OCD person's nightmare.

I have tried a multitude of different creams and lotions and exfoliation (which is actually the worst thing to do in my experience, they just come back even worse when you exfoliate). But when it all comes down to it, if I want smooth arms (relatively speaking, smooth for me anyway) for like a night out or something and I don't want to look like a witch barfed on my skin, I just have to force myself to leave them alone for several days. The only thing I have found that makes them any better is doing NOTHING (except perhaps a little moisturizer). No loofahs in the shower, no crazy expensive creams and NO PICKING :x3:

ETA: I don't know where the ingrown hairs thing has come from, KP is not due to or resultant in ingrown hairs. It's from your skin creating an excess of keratin that gets stuck under your skin. I know [what you're about to say] that hair is made of keratin but this is not the same.

Edited by nymh, 02 February 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#24 cibomatto

cibomatto
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

*hugs* i feel your pain. I do have these on my arms, and when summer comes i become very wary about it.

i think it's genetic since my mom has it as well (it was worse than me, she had it on the arms and buttocks.) she went to see a doctor when she was younger, and the they said it would disappear with age /: *she doesn't have them anymore*

i try to scrub it off with a 'aka-suri' (don't know the word in english) it's a rough towel that takes off dead skin. it doesn't make it disappear but my bumps looks less purple/red, and the skin seems a litte smoother.

i try to avoid squeezing them! (even though its pretty fun extracting the thin hair and *cough* white gunk out) scars are worse /:

Edited by cibomatto, 02 February 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#25 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I have it. Went to the doctors about it, they were all 'eh, it won't kill you' and prescribed some acne cream that dried out my skin and made it sore. Needless to say, it failed to get rid of it.

I try not to pick, but it's really hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users