Just needed to rant.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Ok, so. To start us off, I want to rant on people making stuff up online, like the <3.

What. The. Fuck. How does that come close to love? It has nothing to do with love! How did it get started, and what dumbass came up with it?
<3 is just [blank] less than three! Is that love?! Sure as fuck, no. I mean, love is infinite, and this is only less than three. How the fuck does LOVE come out of <3!? You can't possibly get that unless you're a dyslexic motherfucking redneck who can't spell, read or write, and who has never been in love. Real love is vast and wonderful, and yet painful at the same time, whereas <3 is just a symbol and a number! Nothing more!
But yet people use this everyday to show their love. Bleh! I don't see how this shit ever got started. It's plain stupid. I mean, 1337 speak has it purposes such as hiding stuff from teachers like I do with my friend Alex... but this is just too damn far.

Shit.

:ninja:
Spoiler

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Spoiler

#3 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Spoiler

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Spoiler

#5 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

I love how Sweeney is dancing in time to my music ^_^

#6 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

Spoiler

Edited by nymh, 07 February 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#7 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

<3 is a heart, not love. Kay?

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Posted Image != <3

#9 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Don't be stupid. "I <3 U" doesn't translate to "I a heart you".

Edit: And also, you really ought to change your signatures.

#10 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Don't be stupid. "I <3 U" doesn't translate to "I a heart you".

Thats because it translates to "I heart you"

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

Thats because it translates to "I heart you"

But everyone can see that that makes no grammatical sense at all.

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Unless it's "Aye, heart, you?". Although that would largely be restricted to asking a Scottish/Northern English person if they think something heart-like looks like a heart so it probably wouldn't be widely used.

#13 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

I never said it was grammatically correct...

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

I never said it was grammatically correct...

Well, then you haven't answered the original query in the post!

#15 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

<3 looks like a cartoon, non-realistic style heart on its side. It's as valid as a symbol for a heart as : ) is valid as a symbol of a smiling face. Both break down images into their most basic and recognisable components (which can be typographically replicated). Should you never show emotions with an emoticon, or a graphic of something that isn't you? Let's say I was feeling excited and I wrote a response to something, but I'm crappy with my words so it wouldn't be obvious to people reading it that I was excited. Or I was just so excited that I wasn't sure twenty exclamation marks would get that point across. Whatever. So I might use this: Posted Image I can't really turn my eyes into one big X in the middle of my face, nor can I do that thing with my mouth. I've never pulled that face, nor have I seen a non-cartoon person pull that face. But I know what its connotations are and so I feel it's a valid way of communicating things.

Which just proves I'm a dirty hypocrite because I hate text speak, even though I can understand it!

tl;dr: I'm fine with silly pictures, but heaven forbid anyone abuses precious words.

#16 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

<3 looks like a cartoon, non-realistic style heart on its side. It's as valid as a symbol for a heart as : ) is valid as a symbol of a smiling face. Both break down images into their most basic and recognisable components (which can be typographically replicated). Should you never show emotions with an emoticon, or a graphic of something that isn't you? Let's say I was feeling excited and I wrote a response to something, but I'm crappy with my words so it wouldn't be obvious to people reading it that I was excited. Or I was just so excited that I wasn't sure twenty exclamation marks would get that point across. Whatever. So I might use this: Posted Image I can't really turn my eyes into one big X in the middle of my face, nor can I do that thing with my mouth. I've never pulled that face, nor have I seen a non-cartoon person pull that face. But I know what its connotations are and so I feel it's a valid way of communicating things.

Which just proves I'm a dirty hypocrite because I hate text speak, even though I can understand it!

tl;dr: I'm fine with silly pictures, but heaven forbid anyone abuses precious words.

*ruffles hair*
Yes, we all know that ^_^

#17 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Well, then you haven't answered the original query in the post!

How can I answer a query that is invalid on its surface? <3 was never meant to be, and still does not mean love. Only stupid teenage girls think it means that, and they also think that when he looks at them in class, it means he loves them.

#18 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'm on my iPhone, which makes following who says what a little difficult. For some reason I thought this was iargue's rant. Then when I saw sweeney's picture before I opened the spoilers I thought he might be drunk >.<

Anyways, it doesn't bother me. Slang isn't limited to the alphabet. I generally use <3 as an emoticon instead of a replacement for the word "love".

Edited by MsRose, 07 February 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

How can I answer a query that is invalid on its surface? <3 was never meant to be, and still does not mean love. Only stupid teenage girls think it means that, and they also think that when he looks at them in class, it means he loves them.

You don't have much in the way of long term memory, do you?

What, then, would you say a heart represents in casual communication, if not love? When someone leaves a "<3" at the end of a post, they're not referencing an actual, physical heart.

#20 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

You don't have much in the way of long term memory, do you?

What, then, would you say a heart represents in casual communication, if not love? When someone leaves a "<3" at the end of a post, they're not referencing an actual, physical heart.

Its just like using sign language to a friend. "I heart you" it means that you care about the person.

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Its just like using sign language to a friend. "I heart you" it means that you care about the person.

Many people would call that caring synonymous with love. Platonic love, perhaps, but still.
Seems to me you're just making a semantic argument in an attempt to make yourself look big and clever for the people who might have clicked on the ninja before reading the thread.

#22 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Many people would call that caring synonymous with love. Platonic love, perhaps, but still.
Seems to me you're just making a semantic argument in an attempt to make yourself look big and clever for the people who might have clicked on the ninja before reading the thread.

Or. That's how its always been seen by myself and all of my friends? Platonic love is easily summarized by a heart. Its not something vast and wonderful like romantic love is. I've never seen anyone sacrifice themselves for someone that they loved platonically.

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Or. That's how its always been seen by myself and all of my friends? Platonic love is easily summarized by a heart. Its not something vast and wonderful like romantic love is. I've never seen anyone sacrifice themselves for someone that they loved platonically.

So it does represent love?
That was a rather ham-fisted backtrack...

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

So it does represent love?
That was a rather ham-fisted backtrack...

When you understand that platonic love and romantic love are completely different things, not even in the same category.... Then you might have a chance of grasping this concept to.

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

When you understand that platonic love and romantic love are completely different things, not even in the same category.... Then you might have a chance of grasping this concept to.

I think it's fairly self-evident that they're both in the category "love".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users