Homeschool vs Public School vs Private School

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#51 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Well it seems likely to me because I am one such person that needs different schools at different times of my life. Public school for me until high school, where I switched to private school. When I went to a public high school with really crappy teachers that didn't teach which left me with no time to do other stuff, I knew I had to switch. Ain't nobody got time for dat! But seriously, there are a lot of people I know from my old school that wished they switched.

Uh, the fact that you had "crappy" teachers is not necessarily symptomatic of the school system - merely your school.

#52 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Catholic and then private secular school.  Had one particularly crazy teacher in in private.  It took awhile to get over her.  Private school here gives so much more homework than public school.  Most of it is boring and uninteresting.  My parents spent considerable time checking my homework and sometimes doing the work of this project or that project.   They often threatened to just homeschool.  Both of my parents have advanced degrees in what they call "hard science" so elementary chemistry isn't that hard for them.

People think that a lot of homework is good.  However even kids have lives we had city choir, 4H and sometimes we even have family obligations.  You don't always have four hours to do homework each night.

#53 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

I have to disagree. Most people from public schools that switch to homeschool or a private school do so to prove their education.

Yes, and many people switch from meat to tofu to improve their health. That does not mean that you can't have a healthy lifestyle that includes meat.

You're making a correlation fallacy.

#54 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Yeah you can do good at public school but for some people, private school/homeschool is much better. I did ok at public school, but now I switched, I am doing even better and have more time not self teaching.

Yes, for some people private or home schooling may have been better. For others, a better public school would have been even better.

You can't base your opinions/interpretations of the public school system on your own limited experience of "going to a public school".

#55 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

I went to a private elementary, and a public high school. I do not have any experience with homeschooling, nor know anyone who does, but the idea of it sounds crippling for the child's development in many ways.

#56 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:04 AM

Well that was one of my points. Different schools fit different people better. Sometimes the best type school for an individual changes. That's why it isn't necessarily bad to change schools relatively often.

I said that your poor experience in the public school system was not representative of public schools in general. You disagreed with that.

That disagreement was wrong.

#57 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

http://www.stanford....hild/public.htm
http://secondaryscho...statistics.html
http://www.stanford....hild/public.htm
Well now my poor experience is backed up by studies. Private schools do give a better education. And when I referred to what school is better for an individual, it has to be noted that better education does not always mean its better for the individual especially if the said person is not learned in how the world works.

So what you're essentially arguing is that private education is better, except for the people for whom it is not better?

(Also, you posted one of your three links twice.)

#58 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Thanks, I edited so now I have 3 different links. And I gave you an example of what kind of person it would be better for. It depends on the person. When you guys have kids you'll probably know what's best for your kids.

No children are "learned in how the world works", no matter what they think they know, save for some all-to-common cases of abuse and/or neglect.

Your links are spurious. How can you be simultaneously arguing that private schools are "better", whilst also arguing that some people are better suited to different forms of education. Your links do not support the latter, so do you dispute them?

I have two children currently in preschool.

#59 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

My second argument has nothing to do with education, which is what the links provided data on. And yes no child really knows the world, but kids that go to a private school or homeschool are more shielded to what happens. Would you like to dispute this generally widely accepted theory?

Oh. My mistake. I think it's probably because your links do not provide evidence against the claim that your limited experience of the public school system is not representative of the public school system. In fact, your very first link provides examples of public schools that provide education of a quality comparable to private schools.

Edit: No, I do not wish to dispute that "widely accepted theory", because it is self-evident. However, that formulation is different to what you originally proposed. The "sheltered"-ness of students is a result of those education systems, not an innate property of a student prior to beginning their education.

#60 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

As Lily gets older and I start looking into preschools and such,
I've become increasingly interested in homeschooling her.

What are your experiences with it?
Did you do it? Did you enjoy it? Did you hate it? Why wouldnt you?

If I ever have kids I have the intention of sending them to private schools. I went to a private Christian school, followed by a state school which was understaffed, underfunded, and underachieving. I'm not going to have my kids leaving school unable to attend a decent college because the state system is shit. I'll happily pay to give them every advantage. 

#61 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Elaborate on how my links don't prove my experience to be true. As for the original first link, the public schools in question had many characteristics similar to private schools (smaller classes, better teachers, etc.) There will always be good public schools. But private schools give a better education overall. That's why people pay tuition. 

I proposed the sheltered-ness of students is correlated with their experiences in school. I didn't mention anything about an innate property of a student.

Oh, for goodness' sake. I never said your experience wasn't true - I said that it wasn't representative of public schooling in general. Please pay attention to what is going on, since you apparently agree with that after all. Despite saying the exact opposite several posts ago.

Given your complete failure to follow the conversation, I'll bow out.

#62 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'm almost certain that you regurgitate bullshit tidbits fed to you by unintelligent people. Watching your interactions with Sweeney is like watching a puppy chase his tail. 

#63 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

I dont think there's anything inherently wrong with homeschooling but I've noticed that kids who have been homeschooled for an extended amount of time tend to fall behind socially. Like I hear they have picnics and get togethers for homeschooled kids but I don't think that's enough. I'd rather just make sure my kid goes to a really nice public/private school.

#64 best

best
  • 260 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

I would say private school is the best if you can afford the high price. 

#65 wildwolfspirit

wildwolfspirit
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

This is a fairly old topic, but meh..sharing my thoughts anyways

I was home schooled up until the 9th grade. Went to a private school my freshman year, and then went to a public school the rest of the time. 

I loved being home schooled.. I did 2-3 hours of school a day then went and hung out with my other home schooled friends for the rest of the day (I lived in a decent size suburb so there were plenty of home schooled kids to hang out with. I also made plenty of friends in little league, boy scouts, and whatever else I did...Also my SAT scores were always in the top 10%....

Moving on to private school (Christian)...there were about 15 of us in each grade...it got really boring going to the same class with the same people 180 days a year...it was nothing special, the content was as vigorous as home schooling but dragged out to 7 hours a day..

Public school was a joke as far as academics go...I never once studied for  tests or quizzes..you could do all of the homework in your 15 minute homeroom or study hall if you had one....half the time the entire class would have the same answers for homework and the teachers never cared...Now many schools allow as many optional retakes for graded assignments as the student wants...So why would you ever work hard to study? You take the test, fail it, look up the answers and take it again(Not much learning going on there).

When I was taking Spanish we sat at a table of 8 and copied off of a student who grew up speaking Spanish...Every once in a while she would get something abstract wrong (just like all of us English speaking students don't get 100% in english). The teacher never cared and we never learned anything in that class because we didn't have to....You may think that is just one teacher, but when they have to teach 25-30 students at one time and 150+ students a day, they can't give attention to all the students they need to...

As an educator (I know I don't type like one on the forums :p ), I still think public school is the worst option. I know there are plenty of fantastic public schools out there which is great! However, I still believe the smaller setting is way better for student learning...Some people argue that if you home school you aren't a certified/trained teacher... That is an irrelevant statement...did your parents have to be trained to teach you how to drive a car? No. Did your grandfather have to be trained to teach you how to fish? No. I saw another statement asking if you would you rather have your sick child treated by a trained doctor or yourself. Many would choose the doctor...However, in a school setting that doctor isn't "treating" just your child he/she has 25-30 "sick" students every day that he has to try to treat in a 40 minute class... So even if he is an absolutely fantastic doctor and gets to every student during that 40 minutes he is only spending 1 to 2 minutes 1 on 1 with your child...

Not much can be accomplished in 1 to 2 minutes of one on one time when it comes to education. If you have the freedom (whether it be time,money or anything else) I definitely think that home schooling is the best option. However, all of the responsibility falls on you. Home schooling really allows you to work with your child as long as they need. That 1 on 1 education is invaluable. Saying all of this there are many instances where the parent/person doing the home schooling is not doing a good job. However, home schooled parents (at least in my state) have to have a record of which lessons were taught everyday, and the students are required to maintain certain scores on state required tests/SATs...I think this is a great way that the states can see if the child is receiving the education they should be.

***My comments were based solely on an educational stand point (nothing about making friends, bullying, etc. etc.). However, there are plenty of ways for home schooled students to make friends, and they are even allowed to participate in sports at your local public school (whichever school district you reside within)...This is were it falls upon the parents again to ensure that they are involved with other students their age...

#66 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

It's amazing how countries are so different. In my country, public schools are way better than private schools.

#67 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

It's amazing how countries are so different. In my country, public schools are way better than private schools.

Out of curiosity, where are you from and why do people see public schools as better than private? That's very interesting to me because, growing up in the US, private schools were always seen as superior for providing education. Public schools are highly variable in that some schools are amazing while others are a joke. I was lucky enough to grow up in an area where our public schools were pretty good and I got enough individual attention to get a good level of education.

#68 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

Out of curiosity, where are you from and why do people see public schools as better than private? That's very interesting to me because, growing up in the US, private schools were always seen as superior for providing education. Public schools are highly variable in that some schools are amazing while others are a joke. I was lucky enough to grow up in an area where our public schools were pretty good and I got enough individual attention to get a good level of education.

I'm from Argentina. 
I went to a private school, and believe me, it sucks. Also, we have the UBA (Buenos Aires University) , it's completely free and it was one of the best from south america.
Things changed this last 10 years, our goverment don't care about education now; but most of public school are pretty good yet.

But I think that nowadays private colleges are better.
I'm studying in a music college which is in the Berklee (Boston, MA) network and I couldn't be more happier.

Edited by WillDearborn, 03 April 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#69 rapmasterme

rapmasterme
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:48 AM

I did the whole public school thing. It is good for socialization, and education really depends on where you live. I felt i got something out of it.

#70 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

I went to a private school, my husband was home schooled, and i taught at a public school. I love the kids across the board, but my babies will probably be home schooled and private schooled.

#71 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

I was unwillingly homeschooled for most of my schooling but I did go to public for a little while, my opinion on it is biased, I think that should be taken into consideration before you read my stance on these things.

All three options are based on what that child's needs are. If your child has severe special needs, homeschool is your best option. Although I honestly hate admitting that, other schools have other children they need to attend to, your child may not get the one on one attention they need, and education in general may be at stake. Though they won't be properly socialized, which will be a major problem into adulthood.

Private school, again this depends on what your child needs, it may not be a suitable option. But when I have kids someday, if it can be afforded this will be my option, I feel my child would do best there, unless they asked to go to public school. 

Public school, I don't see it as a desired option, given the violence, lack of care by some important members of school staff, even non violent bullying is a problem, I don't feel like going into the rest but, It's more likely that your child will have troubles here. It's not ideal, but it's not imperfect either. Some children do well in this setting, I

all in all, it's all about your child's needs, how they're wired to work, and what does the best for them.

#72 Doe

Doe
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

I was HSd for a while since public schools are their "zero tolerance" bullshit is retarded.

All in all I think I turned out 100x better than I would of, sure I hacked/cheated my way through 90% of the work, but I also didn't wind up in a gang or become a hardcore drug dealer like I may of.

#73 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

I think public school is still a better choice. It's better to expose the child to negative influence in early stage than at later teenage stage. In early stage, no matter how much negative influence, it's still quite trivial and parents can still guide and the child will still listen. But if the child is at teenage stage when she is exposed to negative influence, then the parents may no longer be able to influence the child. The child may even be so rebellious that she will do everything opposite to what the parents said. Of course, there are also benefits of social interactions and friendships in public school. Soft skills in social interactions are increasingly important in today's world, sometimes may be more important than the knowledge one has. Some friendships in early stage can be lifetime friendships which is very valuable.

#74 soggytoast

soggytoast
  • 47 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Sure you do, but only because no one with any any ability with children has apparently been anywhere near her.
Are you trained in phonic knowledge like a teacher? Are you trained in spotting and correcting misconceptions in numeracy and science? Are you capable of educating your daughter in the practises of cultures you're not familiar with? Do you, even, know the standard that she should be at before entering middle school?
A program of learning shouldn't focus entirely on a child's existing skills and interests. How then would you expect them to develop the ability to succeed in things that don't interest them, like she will have to do in regular schooling? Going to come up with a "fun and interesting" way to teach her letter sounds every single day?
The likelihood is that you'll bring up a spoiled, priveleged child who will find it harder to cope in middle school, and therefore choose to stay at home with Mommy, where you will be sorely ill-equipped to deal with her learning needs.

I'm not gonna go into the values part of what Sweeney says, but he is on point regarding teaching. Lots of people think they can do it but have NO idea what pedagogy is actually the most effective. I'm studying sociology and since education is one of the biggest influences on stratification in American society, I've looked at it a good bit.

School teaches so much more than formal knowledge. Schooling provides your child more adult role models besides parents and relatives and allows them to learn how to interact with other kids. That being said, what else your kid gets out of school is HIGHLY dependent on the school. This is an extreme simplification of Bowles & Gintis's correspondence theory of education, but a bad public school is basically gonna teach your kids to be drones obedient to authority, while a really great one will expand their critical thinking skills and will teach them to operate with a sense of their own power within society.

Also, most educational research (citation needed, I know) shows that if your kid is white, middle-class (and I'm assuming you're doing okay since you've mentioned a partner and the fact that you'll be able to stay home), and the parents are involved, then it's not really gonna matter what you do because your kid's achievement is gonna be pretty good. All else being equal, private schools are no better than public schools for non-minorities EXCEPT for religious schools because of the strong functional communities usually present in these schools, and you mentioned being skeptical of religion.

If I were to give broad advice, I would say to get your kid into a good public school system that allows for plenty of parent involvement, is well-funded (preferably in a wealthy suburban neighborhood), and make sure she isn't ever tracked/grouped with the low-achieving students, because odds are if the label her as low-achieving, she will be unless you really fight it, because they make the crappy teachers teach the "crappy" students (vicious cycle much). If good schools aren't available... that sucks, but as long as you're there for her, things could end up okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users