• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Hello fellow Codexians :)

I am happy to announce a new feature that will be taking place on codex. Competitions / Lucky Member Draws that will allow the users of the site to win real prizes. Rather than making a large body post I am just going to create a Q & A style layout and let you find the questions you might have about the system. :)

Q: How often will the contests run?
A: The contests will run once every 2 or 3 months.

Q: How do I enter these contests?
A: An advanced membership or higher (including subscribed advanced) will be a requirement.

These contests are also designed to encourage activity from both new accounts and older members so continued activity on the boards will ensure your eligibility.

The entry method itself will vary from contest to contest. It may be as simple as posting in the thread, or as complex as digging up something in a members past and messaging it to one of the contest runners. All requirements (activity, entry etc) will be noted in each competition announcement.

Q: What are the prizes?
A: There will be 3 different prizes chosen. The grand prize will be an item worth somewhere between 75$ and 100$ (USD). Then 2 lower grade prizes which will usually be NeoCash cards valued at 25$ and 10$. For the grand prize, we will need you to supply us with your real name and address so we can have the prize delivered to you!

Q: What if I dont want a NeoCash prize?
A: In the event that you do not wish to have the NeoCash card you can trade in the 25$ card for 3 entries in the next contest and the 10$ card for 1 entry.

Q: Where is the money for these items coming from?
A: Neocodex receives a little more money from advanced subscription then what is needed to physically run the site. Part of this funding goes into hosting, part goes into paying for the forum software and modifications and other various costs associated with running the site. Some is also put away for a rainy day (not every months subscriptions are the same). Because we do receive a little more then we use, we've decided to give some of what we receive back to you, the members!

Q: Can we suggest possible prizes for the next contest?
A: Sure you can, send either soul__stealer or myself your proposal and we will consider it. If possible, add both of us to the PM and we will discuss discuss it form there.

Q: How long will the contests run for after they are announced?
A: Depending on the contest, they may run from one (1) to three (3) weeks after they are announced. The competition notice will announce the time-frame for each one. After this time the contest thread will be closed and the winner picked.

Q: How will the winners be chosen?
A: We wanted to keep the community involved when it came to the "randomness" of picking the winners (also to prevent any claims of cheating or favouritism from the staff). So what we will do is shuffle all of the entrants and then assign them each a number. After this we will ask one of the members from the site to pick a number from 1 to n (where n = total number of entrants). Only soul__stealer and myself will know which numbers correspond with which users.

Q: Are we allowed to have multiple accounts in-order to gain multiple entries?
A: What do you think the answer to this is? Of course not. This is actually against the Neocodex rules and offenders may be banned from the site. For the initial competition, only 1 entry per person will be allowed, however future competions may have methods of earning bonus entries.

Q: How will cheating be dealt with?
A: If we catch anyone cheating with this contest (by sharing the answers to questions via pm for example), all involved parties will have their entries removed from the contest and will be unable to participate for a minimum of 4 months.

Q: I have more questions D:
A: Ask them here and they will be added to this list.

With all of this said I would like to direct you to the very first contest

Good luck to you all
~Cody Woolaver, Neocodex.us Administrator

#2 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:49 AM

Sounds wonderful guys! This is a really great way to get more community members both active and involved. Hopefully this will draw out many of the older community who have become less active as well as many of the community members who lurk yet rarely participate.

#3 SlaughterHouse

SlaughterHouse
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

This sounds very interesting and a very nice addition to attract new comers to the site as well as keeping the old ones around. I look forward to seeing what the first competition is like and future ones that will follow.

#4 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

This is pretty awesome. I've heard this being talked about for a long time but its nice to see it being implemented!

#5 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

Yaaaay contests and prizes and all that other cool stuff, this is gonna be so much fun!!! But seriously, that's super nice of you!~

Speaking of prizes, whoa those are some awesome prizes!!! I'll have to buy me an advanced membership thing at some point when I actually have some spare money~ :D

#6 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

Awesome. Hopefully it has something to do with being Asian so I can win shit mwehehe

#7 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

or german.

#8 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Sounds great guys! Cant wait!

#9 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

This is awesome. Great way to get people involved.

I'm so looking forward to this :)

#10 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

This sounds interesting! Great idea guys!! One day i wont be a poor college kid and be able to buy myself some advance membership :p (or save enough nps to have someone buy it for me)

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'd prefer you saved the money for a time when it might be useful, rather than giving it away to random people.

Not that any of it was ever my money, so I don't care that much.

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'd prefer you saved the money for a time when it might be useful, rather than giving it away to random people.

Not that any of it was ever my money, so I don't care that much.

A few competitions won't break the bank. If one of those competitions is a referral competition it could actually pay for itself eventually. ;)

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

A few competitions won't break the bank. If one of those competitions is a referral competition it could actually pay for itself eventually. ;)

Only if the winner wasn't randomly chosen =P
If the winner is random, no one would put any effort in at all.

#14 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Yeah I hope it's not random. I never win draws and the like >:(

#15 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Only if the winner wasn't randomly chosen =P
If the winner is random, no one would put any effort in at all.

I don't think it would be a good idea to randomly choose the winner of a referral competition, that would make no sense at all. :p

#16 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hey guys
guys
maybe some of the contests will have randomly chosen winners but some won't?? :p

We'll just have to wait and seeee~

#17 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hey guys
guys
maybe some of the contests will have randomly chosen winners but some won't?? :p

We'll just have to wait and seeee~

We should have a contest with 12 regular users, 11 members get advanced, 1 gets banned.

#18 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

We should have a contest with 12 regular users, 11 members get advanced, 1 gets banned.

Survival Roulette? Sounds fun. :p

#19 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

That sounds like it'd be a lot of fun~ ;)

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

As long as there are people willing to take bribes...

#21 Badger

Badger
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

This is a pretty cool idea, it'll be sure to attract a whole lot of new members.
Can't wait. :)

#22 coeurdelion

coeurdelion
  • 38 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

that is a nice one.
make it other way arround, that would bring some movement to the site for sure.

#23 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

This sounds awesome! Im usually horrible at contests but I'll give it a go.

#24 jonahfinn

jonahfinn
  • 1006 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

I do like the sounds of this,
I don't usually participate in contests, but I'm mighty tempted to give this one a go

#25 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Sounds fun! I'm looking forward to see how this turns out. As Sweeney said, as long as you're sure you have enough money to fund this, I'm fine with it. ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users