• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

I didn't see a thread about this anywhere on site (unless my search-fu is just being silly today), but the Raspberry Pi has finally been released! And can be purchased by the public as well :3

Pasting info from here and here, and the R Pi's site is here!

A credit-card sized computer designed to help teach children to code has gone on sale for the first time.

The Raspberry Pi is a bare-bones, low-cost computer created by volunteers mostly drawn from academia and the UK tech industry.

Sold uncased without keyboard or monitor, the Pi has drawn interest from educators and enthusiasts.

The device's launch comes as the Department for Education considers changes to the teaching of computing in schools, with the aim of placing greater emphasis on skills like programming.
In a speech outlining those changes, Michael Gove mentioned the Pi, suggesting devices like it could play an important role in the kind of computer class the government envisages.
"Initiatives like the Raspberry Pi scheme will give children the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of programming," he said.

Initially the £22 ($35) model (B) of the Pi will be offered for sale. A cheaper £16 ($25) version (A) will go on sale later in the year.
The machine, which runs on open-source operating system Linux (Debian and soon Fedora), can be hooked up to a typical computer monitor (HDMI/Composite RCA) - with additional ports used to attach a keyboard, mouse and other peripherals.
It also features an ethernet port, meaning the device can make use of high-speed internet connectivity.

Posted Image

The design is based around a Broadcom BCM2835 SoC, which includes an ARM1176JZF-S 700 MHz processor, VideoCore IV GPU, and 128 or 256 Megabytes of RAM. The design does not include a built-in hard disk or solid-state drive, instead relying on an SD card for booting and long-term storage. The Raspberry Pi does not come with a real-time clock, (...) however a real time clock (such as the DS1307) with battery backup can be easily added via the I2C interface.

Are any of you going to get one? What are you planning on doing with it? ^^ I mean there's just so much you could do with one of these!! Like a low cost tablet, media center, or a super portable old games emulator, seedbox, maybe even a cluster system!!

I'm planning on getting two eventually, one for file transfers on the go (I've had so many moments when I've wanted to move, say, a song from my external to my MP3 player on the train but couldn't because I didn't have access to something with two USB ports) and another as an emulator! It feels weird playing SNES games on a computer for me, it's best done on an old TV :3
Sure I could just go out and buy a SNES and all those other consoles, but hey, projects are fun! Plus, it's pretty cool saying "ah yeah, I made that, it's neat huh?"~

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

It's a good idea for getting school kids interested in programming, back in the day when I did ICT in school it was only really about how to use software like Access and Excel so something definitely needed to be changed. I won't be getting one though, I already have enough computers without adding one of these to the gang. :p

#3 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

It's a good idea for getting school kids interested in programming, back in the day when I did ICT in school it was only really about how to use software like Access and Excel so something definitely needed to be changed. I won't be getting one though, I already have enough computers without adding one of these to the gang. :p

Pfft, you can never have too many computers~ ;)

But ugh, you too? As much as I love tech things, I really did hate ICT back when I was in school..... Excel? Powerpoint? Ewwww boring we've been forced to use those for years now, where's the fun stuff like building a computer and making sure it's working, or learning a simple language and making a program that functions, or making websites that aren't made with pre-made templates, I'm looking at you Mrs P!!
Let's hope that things will go according to plan and actually work! :3

#4 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

I didn't see a thread about this anywhere on site (unless my search-fu is just being silly today), but the Raspberry Pi has finally been released! And can be purchased by the public as well :3

Pasting info from here and here, and the R Pi's site is here!

Are any of you going to get one? What are you planning on doing with it? ^^ I mean there's just so much you could do with one of these!! Like a low cost tablet, media center, or a super portable old games emulator, seedbox, maybe even a cluster system!!

I'm planning on getting two eventually, one for file transfers on the go (I've had so many moments when I've wanted to move, say, a song from my external to my MP3 player on the train but couldn't because I didn't have access to something with two USB ports) and another as an emulator! It feels weird playing SNES games on a computer for me, it's best done on an old TV :3
Sure I could just go out and buy a SNES and all those other consoles, but hey, projects are fun! Plus, it's pretty cool saying "ah yeah, I made that, it's neat huh?"~

So...this is designed to simplify learning how to program?

i think ill get one then :D

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

I'd probably use for portable anime since it has that HDMI port.

#6 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

Hell yes

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

So...this is designed to simplify learning how to program?

i think ill get one then :D

It's basically just a small, cheap computer just not in a case.

#8 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Uggh! I ran home from the gym the night of the launch to place an order. Both distributors were completely backed up. Once they were sold out people started pre-ordering and latest ship date I've for those is April.

So at this point, I "registered for interest" at Farnell export and RS, which technically isn't a pre-order, so my guess is I'll be able to place an order sometime late April....

Very cool product, great specs for a tiny computer. Would be very fun to play around with...

#9 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

Uggh! I ran home from the gym the night of the launch to place an order. Both distributors were completely backed up. Once they were sold out people started pre-ordering and latest ship date I've for those is April.

Oh nooo ;_; That sucks!!

#10 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

3 months later, it finally showed up today:

Posted Image

I should've read the parts list more carefully. I thought it would at least come with a usb power plug of some sort. But I think I have the parts lying around my room somewhere. Gonna get this thing fired up tomorrow.

#11 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:17 AM

I don't see how this aids in learning how to program.

#12 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

I don't see how this aids in learning how to program.

Because you can buy a classful of Raspberry Pis for less than the cost of one "do everything" computer.

#13 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

Because you can buy a classful of Raspberry Pis for less than the cost of one "do everything" computer.

AH! Genius!
You're being nice to me lately how come? Plus rep for your niceness. :)

#14 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

3 months later, it finally showed up today:

Spoiler

I should've read the parts list more carefully. I thought it would at least come with a usb power plug of some sort. But I think I have the parts lying around my room somewhere. Gonna get this thing fired up tomorrow.

Sweet!! What are you planning on doing with it?~ :3
And wait... It doesn't come with a power supply cable..? That's pretty uh dumb o.o

#15 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

And wait... It doesn't come with a power supply cable..? That's pretty uh dumb o.o

It's probably just a way for them to reduce costs which is the main aim with that kind of system.

#16 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

It's probably just a way for them to reduce costs which is the main aim with that kind of system.

That's true, but power supply cables are pretty important things :unsure: Without one you can't really do much with your computer other than look at it, hehe

#17 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

That's true, but power supply cables are pretty important things :unsure: Without one you can't really do much with your computer other than look at it, hehe

Who doesn't have a usb cable lying around these days though? :p It's also probably a way for them to subsidise the cost of the boards by selling the cables separately to make a bit of extra money.

#18 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

Honestly. This device wont help at all with what we want it to.

Not because it fails to do its job, but because the education system fails to do its job. Schools that have the "do everything" computers, don't even have teachers that know how to use the technology. I was put into ISS for 7 days for "hacking" in 5th grade because I had opened up notepad and was typing 101110101 over and over to impress my friends. Getting a teacher that can actually teach programming, or anything to students before college (or even in college) is beyond hope.

In my Java class, I had to hold my own class session to explain to everyone the basics of programming because the teacher assumed that everyone understood how programming works and just put the assignment on the board. All he cared about was teaching object names and syntax's and not how to actually program. I was forced to get together with people who wanted to pass and explain the mentality behind programming so they could pass the class.

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

You went to college with people taking a class on Java that didn't know programming basics?
Clearly a top-level, selective institution.

#20 EmptySpace

EmptySpace
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

Grave Digging because:

Just wondering if anybody has got any of the python from the Program Manager apps running on a pi?

Seeing as it uses next to no power, i see no harm leaving one running for hours on end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users