Photo

Neoquest's Auto Book Buyer & Reader

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#26 syaopup

syaopup
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

This sounds like a great idea. Just one suggestion though: is there any way to match the list of cheapest books with a list of books your pet has already read, to make sure you don't buy books you've already read?

Don't know if this is a difficult task or not, but it would be a great addition to this wonderful idea if possible. Thanks again!

That feature isn't in the program, although I hope Neoquest is able to implement it.
There's a workaround for it though.

Tips on how get a list of books that your pet has not read from the cheapest to the most expensive:
http://items.jellyneo.net/books/ for Book list
http://items.jellyne.../booktastic.php for Booktastic Book list
Sort by Price Ascending, do not show book images.
Copy and paste into a txt file, and format it using similar tactics used in creating AB lists.
Using this method, you won't buy books your pet has already read. Not sure if the program takes that into account.

Also, thanks for the program, the release was really timely, I have been manually doing this for the past few days! :)

#27 Aarpm

Aarpm
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

This sounds like a great idea. Just one suggestion though: is there any way to match the list of cheapest books with a list of books your pet has already read, to make sure you don't buy books you've already read?

This can easily be done by going here and making your personal list and then using notepad++ to format it properly, much in the same way as making an AB list.

EDIT: Wow I didn't realize there was a second page here. I feel like an ass.

Edited by Aarpm, 11 April 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#28 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Alright, fixed. Thanks again to Inkheart for the code suggestion.

#29 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Alright, fixed. Thanks again to Inkheart for the code suggestion.

I love you.

That is all.

#30 Aarpm

Aarpm
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Unable to load main program. Press enter to exit.

Any idea why this is happening? It gives me this immediately after I enter a budget. Thanks!

#31 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Any idea why this is happening? It gives me this immediately after I enter a budget. Thanks!

My assumption is that it's failing on "import standard". This is a package that comes with the Program Manager, and it makes sense for Neoquest to assume that it would exist on most users' machines. I imagine it has to do with users having already had Python installed prior to installing any of Neocodex's programs. This makes the interpreter look for packages in the "wrong" place, so to speak, and so it doesn't find the necessary "standard" package. It only seems to be used for methods like getStringBetween(), though, so this is a fine opportunity for you to learn regular expressions, Neoquest. : P

#32 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Okay, now it's fixed. I accidentally left some code in that always made it try to read list.txt XD

<br>My assumption is that it's failing on "import standard". This is a package that comes with the Program Manager, and it makes sense for Neoquest to assume that it would exist on most users' machines. I imagine it has to do with users having already had Python installed prior to installing any of Neocodex's programs. This makes the interpreter look for packages in the "wrong" place, so to speak, and so it doesn't find the necessary "standard" package. It only seems to be used for methods like getStringBetween(), though, so this is a fine opportunity for you to learn regular expressions, Neoquest. : P

Actually I commented that import out and moved the functions to the main program, I'm not a Neocodex programmer so I have no access to their source. standard is packaged with the executable (at least it should be.) I would learn regex, but these functions seem to handle the job fine for such a small program, it doesn't really seem necessary. However I'm always attempting to improve my knowledge, and rest assured that it's on my todo list.

Edited by Neoquest, 11 April 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#33 Aarpm

Aarpm
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

Okay, now it's fixed. I accidentally left some code in that always made it try to read list.txt XD

It's buying books for me now, and that part works quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately it still quits at the reading stage.

#34 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

It's buying books for me now, and that part works quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately it still quits at the reading stage.

Odd, I've tested three times now and my executable works perfectly on a machine without Python. What's your OS?

Edited by Neoquest, 12 April 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#35 cornymikey

cornymikey
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

thank you syaopup, sorry i didnt read your post.

#36 Aarpm

Aarpm
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Odd, I've tested three times now and my executable works perfectly on a machine without Python. What's your OS?

XP Pro. I can't imagine why my machine would run it differently. Hmm.

#37 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

XP Pro. I can't imagine why my machine would run it differently. Hmm.

Do you mind running it again? It might have the been the small change I made about 10 minutes after I posted that I had fixed it the second time.

#38 Aarpm

Aarpm
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Do you mind running it again? It might have the been the small change I made about 10 minutes after I posted that I had fixed it the second time.

Working great! Thank you!

#39 cornymikey

cornymikey
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

Tips on how get a list of books that your pet has not read from the cheapest to the most expensive:
http://items.jellyneo.net/books/ for Book list
http://items.jellyne.../booktastic.php for Booktastic Book list
Sort by Price Ascending, do not show book images.
Copy and paste into a txt file, and format it using similar tactics used in creating AB lists.
Using this method, you won't buy books your pet has already read. Not sure if the program takes that into account.

Also, thanks for the program, the release was really timely, I have been manually doing this for the past few days! :)

Sorry, but now that I've tried it, I do not know how to format it properly in notepad++. I only know how to format it when I copy paste it from the neocodex item db. Can you help please?

#40 Zee

Zee
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for this! Tried it and it works perfectly.

And thanks to syaopup too for the list suggestion. There's a lot of JN tools I've never even used.

#41 syaopup

syaopup
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Sorry, but now that I've tried it, I do not know how to format it properly in notepad++. I only know how to format it when I copy paste it from the neocodex item db. Can you help please?

First, make sure that the list is generated with the checkbox for "Show Book Images?" unchecked.

- cntrl + h
- find " - r\d+" (without the quotes) and replace it with nothing. Select replace all
- find " - approx. [0-9,]+ NP" and replace all.

Make sure that the Search Mode is Regular expression, and you'll end up with all the books on each line without a space (or whitespace) behind it.

#42 cornymikey

cornymikey
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

First, make sure that the list is generated with the checkbox for "Show Book Images?" unchecked.

- cntrl + h
- find " - r\d+" (without the quotes) and replace it with nothing. Select replace all
- find " - approx. [0-9,]+ NP" and replace all.

Make sure that the Search Mode is Regular expression, and you'll end up with all the books on each line without a space (or whitespace) behind it.

thank you. Where do you learn all these notepad++ symbols and all? Seems really useful even outside of neopets

#43 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

notepad++ symbols

I lawled. Those are regular expressions. : )

#44 cornymikey

cornymikey
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

oh wow this looks pro. Thanks I'll check em out, try to do stuff myself for once. : )

#45 syaopup

syaopup
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

thank you. Where do you learn all these notepad++ symbols and all? Seems really useful even outside of neopets

Sorry, I laughed too. xD Like what Inkheart said, those are regular expressions (aka regex).
It'll be a lot more fun if you can try it out and see for yourself what gets filtered out from what you type by using online regex testers.
The one I'm using is this, but it's more .NET-centric, so you might want to find a different tester online.
Regex cheat sheets are useful too, most of the info you need all in one place. There's one at the end of this post.

#46 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

The program will now automatically ignore and not purchase books that have already been read :)

#47 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

The program will now automatically ignore and not purchase books that have already been read :)

You are a star. Thank you so much Neoquest :)

#48 cornymikey

cornymikey
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

oh wow, so I don't even have to make the list anymore?

#49 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

oh wow, so I don't even have to make the list anymore?

Pretty much, just use the one packaged with the program, past that you don't have to do anything.

#50 cornymikey

cornymikey
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

ok, thanks for the addition, but there's one more thing. (Yes, I know, I have lots of problems).

The book list included is not very up-to-date because I just ran the program, and it bought a bunch of the recently retired books (like A Tale of Two Lupes) which are now pretty expensive (in the 10,000s). This is just a warning that it would be better if the list were updated again before you lose too many of your nps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users