Photo

Homosexuality

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#26 smeyed

smeyed
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Lemme just say it like this... If it's not all that controversial anymore, why is it necessary to say 'gay' as well as 'leader'? If it wasn't a controversial issue on the whole, that would mean the detail was no longer significant enough to mention either because there are a whole bunch of 'em everywhere, or because the vast majority doesn't care anymore. Rather like referring to a black governor or a female senator.

Also let's not begin the 'America sucks' nattering, shall we? The assumption that the OP's country of origin (or at least the one they're talking about specifically) is America isn't unreasonable, given where the overwhelming majority of this forum's members come from. And if you want to mention how behind "the rest of the world" America is, I will cough delicately and glance sidelong at Australia, among others.

In what way is Australia behind? I don't think anyone really said America was behind, but you just blatantly said Australia was.

Edited by smeyed, 03 April 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#27 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

Controversy in and of itself isn't a bad thing. It has negative connotations because it generally means people argue about it, and we don't like to get into confrontations when we can possibly avoid them because they have the potential to harm us in some fashion. Where controversy itself becomes bad is when people can't behave like adults and fight, instead of debating.

In the case of homosexuality, I think controversy is bad. The fact that people disagree, that their fellow human beings aren't being treated with the same rights and respect as them, is not a good thing.

#28 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

One of my close friends is getting married to her partner this summer and I couldn't be happier for them. Em and Gem are two of the most wonderful, kind, loving women I have ever met and their relationship is far more stable and healthy than many heterosexual couples I've met.

In my opinion you can't help who you're attracted to and you can't help who you fall in love with. And no one should judge you for that.

#29 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

In my opinion you can't help who you're attracted to and you can't help who you fall in love with. And no one should judge you for that.

I couldn't agree more. But when you consider pedophiles, that's a whole other can of worms.

#30 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

I couldn't agree more. But when you consider pedophiles, that's a whole other can of worms.

Ah yes well, maybe I should have added a 'within reason' to that sentence. That's just creepy and wrong, and a topic for another discussion board maybe another time.

#31 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

I belive that everyone should be able to love whoever they want, but what I don't believe in is that homosexual couples should be able to get married. I believe in civil unions and that they should be able to reap the same benefits as married couples do. This is something that took me a while to come to terms with, I no longer think being gay is wrong as long as I don't get grabbed or gay dudes dont try and make a move on me. I say that the term marriage should be reserved for heterosexual couples because I am an old school chrisitan boy. The sanctity of marriage is kept between one man and one woman. In america we have bigger fish to fry like the topic of murder..I mean abortion. Inb4 rage based on last statement.

#32 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:49 AM

Inb4 rage based on last statement.

No one is going to rage at you, because it's clear that you're just an ill-educated, misinformed, immature child.

#33 Mishatu

Mishatu
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

I belive that everyone should be able to love whoever they want, but what I don't believe in is that homosexual couples should be able to get married. I believe in civil unions and that they should be able to reap the same benefits as married couples do. This is something that took me a while to come to terms with, I no longer think being gay is wrong as long as I don't get grabbed or gay dudes dont try and make a move on me. I say that the term marriage should be reserved for heterosexual couples because I am an old school chrisitan boy. The sanctity of marriage is kept between one man and one woman. In america we have bigger fish to fry like the topic of murder..I mean abortion. Inb4 rage based on last statement.

I agree wholeheartedly. I believe that homosexuals have the right to be married in a civil sense, but if people start forcing the religious people to perform the ceremonies, then that is crossing the line.

While I have no problems with homosexuals being who they are (one of my close friends recently came out), I will disagree about where that comes from and some specific aspects of it.

#34 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

I just wanted to post to say that I love how people are 'ok with gays' as long a homosexual person does not approach them.

#35 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

I think gay people should be allowed to get married. Why not? I don't understand. Marriage is a long term commitment to the person you love sanctified by the power you believe in, God.

I don't think marriage should be a privilege I think it should be available to all Christians, regardless of their sexuality. There are scientist Christians who believe in evolution, which goes against some of what the Bible says and they are not shunned and they are allow to marry even though they go against some teachings. So why shouldn't there be marriages for homosexual Christians?

Edited by trizzle, 04 April 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#36 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Homosexuals? That's pretty gay

I personally don't give two shits whether I'm able to get married or not to a guy as long as I'm able to get the same rights as everyone else. To me, marriage is not pure and beautiful and holy, it's become so twisted that the original idea of marriage is but a fairy tale for most people. That being said, gay marriage is legal in most parts of Canada so maybe that's why I don't care since the option is available to me.

Every single person I've told has reacted positively. The only people that won't are most likely my parents (more specifically my mom) not because they find the idea appalling, but because they wanted grand children with my DNA. OH WELL.

I agree that homosexuals really should limit their PDA. Why? Because I fuckin' hate it when STRAIGHT people show a lot of PDA. Keep that to private; stop flaunting your relationship.

As for gay pride, fuck that. It's one thing to have pride about your lifestyle, it's another to go to parades and literally talk about gay rights (or lackthereof) to every fuckin' person you meet. There's one friend who will talk about homosexuals and their inability to donate blood EVERY FUCKIN' CHANCE HE GETS. Makes me hate the idea of donating blood 'cause I've associated it with being annoying. The same goes, I'm sure, for people who keeps hearing "GAY RIGHTS GAY RIGHTS GAY RIGHTS STRAIGHT PEOPLE OPPRESS US". So stop it. stfu.

#37 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

Legally speaking, there's no legitimate reason to deny gay people the right to have a marriage. A civil union that has all the exact same rights as marriage (which isn't what happened when they actually tried it, by the by) is marriage, and the only reason it's objectionable is if it happens in a church? Fine. Don't get married in the church. Have a judge marry you. Go to Vegas. Straight folk do that too, you know, and as far as the law is concerned, their marriage is just as valid as one held in the house of god.

I'm not at all a fan of religion as a reason for anything, but I do respect the right of a religion to refuse anyone anything for any (asinine) reason they want to... if they're refusing that right to just the people who are members.

#38 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Ah yes well, maybe I should have added a 'within reason' to that sentence. That's just creepy and wrong, and a topic for another discussion board maybe another time.

That's the same viewpoint people have against homosexuality. "It's creepy and wrong" etc...their situation makes everything different because under no circumstances should they be allowed to carry on sexual relationships with minors. But at the same time you have to concede that having those desires isn't wrong; it's just the way they are. That's off topic but I just wanted to put it out there.

#39 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Uggh I don't like it either, making me feel bad for not being in a relationship. Why don't they just have sex on my face!

Wait, so you want me to sit on your face? ;]

I just wanted to post to say that I love how people are 'ok with gays' as long a homosexual person does not approach them.

Yeah I find that kind of twisted. It's like a gay guy saying he's okay with straight people as long as a straight woman doesn't hit on him. Or even a straight man hitting on a gay woman, which also happens quite frequently. But that's supposedly more acceptable apparently. So what if you're straight and a gay person hits on you? It's not suggesting you yourself are gay as well, just take it as a compliment that someone, anyone, would take time out of their day to make it apparent to you that they find something they like. Not to mention, people don't exactly walk around with signs saying "I'm gay" or "I'm straight" so sometimes it's hard to tell. Granted there are some people of any sexuality that fit their stereotype, but not all do. I still get hit on by guys all the time and I don't give them shit for it. It should be natural to approach someone you are attracted to, I think. But I don't know, that's just my own opinion.

Edited by EveMazing, 04 April 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#40 JorJor

JorJor
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

As for gay pride, fuck that. It's one thing to have pride about your lifestyle, it's another to go to parades and literally talk about gay rights (or lackthereof) to every fuckin' person you meet. There's one friend who will talk about homosexuals and their inability to donate blood EVERY FUCKIN' CHANCE HE GETS. Makes me hate the idea of donating blood 'cause I've associated it with being annoying. The same goes, I'm sure, for people who keeps hearing "GAY RIGHTS GAY RIGHTS GAY RIGHTS STRAIGHT PEOPLE OPPRESS US". So stop it. stfu.

I actually agree with you on this. Sometimes I think all those gay pride events and parades do more harm than good because it seems way too in-your-face about the issue. And the extremists like your friend aren't exactly helping out either. Though I suppose extremists from any group or organization tend to have that effect. Sometimes I think the whole gay-pride thing needs to be toned down just a bit.

#41 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

No one is going to rage at you, because it's clear that you're just an ill-educated, misinformed, immature child.

Please educate me sir. I mean, the only time you ever post is when you want to leave some sly remark.

#42 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

After going back and rereading Adam's post, I can't believe I'm about to say this but I actually agree with Sweeney.
And the way you threw abortion in there, it was like you wanted to start a controversy.

Edited by EveMazing, 04 April 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#43 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

I also don't understand the big deal with people saying "I'm fine with gay people as long as I never see them do anything in public and NEVER hit on me".

If they hit on you, just tell them you're not gay... it's not that hard of a concept. If they're an insistent person and say "doesn't matter I can turn you" or whatever, the reason they're like that isn't because they're gay. It's because they're assholes. Straight people can be assholes too ya know

A few of my friends are like "I'm fine with you being gay, I just never want to hear or talk about it ever ever ever". xD My friends are rather conservative; I should be happy that they like me enough to not just stab me. But still. Tina Fey had a really good line in her book about how she was fine with people being gay, until them being gay interfered with her life.

However, she was 15 when she realized that...

#44 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Anyone advocating for 'equal' civil unions:

http://en.wikipedia....equal#Rejection

#45 Aarpm

Aarpm
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Nurture is nature. How a person is raised depends on the predispositions of their guardians, which are in turn derived from those of their guardians, and so on, essentially back to the very first cell. It's probably too early to derail the thread into a discussion of free will, though, so I'll stop there.

/thread

/forum

/time

/space

#46 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

/thread

/forum

/time

/space

"Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

#47 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Please educate me sir. I mean, the only time you ever post is when you want to leave some sly remark.

If you were interested enough to listen, you'd have educated yourself already.

As it stands, you seem content with being a bigoted fool.

To each their own.

#48 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Did I read correctly that someone stated there are no openly gay politicians in America? If so, you are vastly mis-informed (although I don't really expect heterosexuals to care to be educated on this matter unless it's something covered by mainstream media)

Now, if we are referring to simply the large governmental bodies (House of Reps, Senate, etc) there are obviously fewer than if we cover local / state governmental bodies as well.

Barney Frank (Probably the most notable)
Gerry Studes
Steve Gunderson (First openly gay Republican elected to the US House of Representatives. Outed by a fellow Republican because of his opposition to DOMA in the 90s)
Tammy Baldwin (First lesbian elected to US House of Reps 1998)
Jared Polis (First openly gay man elected to the US Congress 2008)
There are many others, but these are simply the "firsts"

Currently Serving openly gay members of the US House of Reps;
Barney Frank, David Cicilline, Jared Polis and Tammy Baldwin

There are no openly gay members of the US Senate and approximately 20 states have no openly gay members of their state legislature.
Kentucky had it's first openly gay member of state legislature, if I remember correctly, about 8-10 years ago. Ernesto Scorsone, who is now a Judge.

I also have to disagree that in Western culture, Homosexuality isn't as controversial as it used to be. Maybe not in Canada or certain parts of the "United" States but I wouldn't go so far to say it's not controversial.
There are still politicians, talking heads, religious leaders who vastly and proudly spread lies and false information about homosexuality, to the point of attempting to dehumanize us and characterize the LGBT Community as animals.
There was even a youtube video a few years ago of a General in the US Army (maybe higher rank than that, I don't remember) stating how he believed all homosexual males eat feces and drink urine as a sexual high.

Maybe I just am more prone to realize the ignorance of the world because I live in a very conservative, southern, redneck state. (Kentucky) But with organizations like NOM (National Organization for Marriage) who have strong supporters like Mitt Romney, the Mormon Church, etc. and with goals to pit black and latinos against gays and lesbians, I think Homosexuality is as controversial as ever. It may be more supported that previous decades, but I believe we are far more "oppressed" than people realize.

#49 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

If you were interested enough to listen, you'd have educated yourself already.

As it stands, you seem content with being a bigoted fool.

To each their own.

Fairly hard to 'listen' to something when I can't 'hear' what you or others are saying. If in fact I were to read what was said, where oh mighty master of the interwebz and all that is knowledgeable, would I find the information in the previous posts to educate myself?
The saying "Twat? I cunt hear you." comes to mind right now.

Edited by Adam, 04 April 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#50 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

I think you should have equal rights no matter your sexual orientation. Why shouldn't two men or two women be allowed to get married? Because your religion says its wrong? It's a piece of paper, what does it affect you if that's how they want to express their love for each other?

It is my own personal opinion that I do not want to get married until all types of people have equal rights. This is America where we have freedom of just about everything but nothing is fucking free here. You're discriminated against and looked down upon because of your race/gender/orientation/etc. It really disgusts me, well most human beings do in general.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users