Photo

The Future of Neopets

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I honestly have to disagree about the NC Mall. I don't think it really impacts the game at all, at least not in my opinion.
Even when events incorporate NC, all it is is a glorified game to earn NC prizes. Something I don't involve myself in because every single effing thing in the NC Mall is girly, sparkly and fluffy. Hardly any non-female oriented items, which is really what pushes me away from purchasing NC. (And the fact that you only get boxes from cards, which is idiotic)

I do agree that account security is an issue, which ties back to customer service. For example, a friend of mine about a month ago was doing the whole clothing trade thing with his Draik. He has screenshots, neomails, etc. where they agreed on trading for clothing or w/e and the guy stole his Draik, traded it to like 2 other people and TNT claims they can't return the pet when we all know they can and they have done so in the past. They need to stop doing things for some people and not others. Either apply it to everyone and return EVERY scammed pet or don't return any at all. That's probably my BIGGEST pet peeve, not treating everyone the same.

I honestly supported Neopets going pay-to-play (which contrary to what TNT claims, it WAS under consideration for a few years) I think their biggest mistake was pushing previous Nickelodeon heads to the top of Neopets, of course all they care and know about is targeting things to children. I don't think they realized just how many older players there are on the site and that most of the 'serious' players are over the age of 18 and probably have been playing for YEARS.

I do agree that I would have liked to see Adam and Donna stay, or I wish they could have released TwinSkies when they originally announced they would. I probably would have left Neopets for it. xD But they left for good reason, they didn't agree with what Viacom was doing to Neopets and it's sad. I do miss the old days (and when I say old days I don't mean like 2005 lol) but I think Neopets can be saved if they make some realizations about their user base and where WE want the site to go. I hate to admit it but my dream job, for years, was to work at Neopets. Dead serious. Either as their receptionist or as their support staff. I've played Neopets since the VERY beginning, joined 16 days after it launched and I've played ever since. It's been a huge part of my life, I have thousands of dollars in their old merchandise and a lot of merchandise regular people can't buy (or you couldn't buy in stores) all sealed in display boxes (mint condition) and what not. I'm a huge Neopets nerd and it saddens me what the site has come to. :(

Be jealous. ;D Only 250 were made and only given to TNT Staff and guess who has one?!

Spoiler

Your plushie is absolutely adorable. Don't think Adam and Donna would be much better. Since they earned all that money they changed a lot, see what their ex workers in Meteor Games have to say: http://www.glassdoor...ews-E218571.htm I just started playing MG games because they owned the company, but they are horrible! They laid off 90% of their staff in Christmas, on Treasure Keepers, we saw some weird things going on, after a month without news from them (updates were almost daily and they suddenly stopped), a worker came and said there'd be an update, and said the rumours of TK closure were false. The update consisted in only one item, cash item, that was a bloody recolour of an already existing item that was non-cash and was VERY expensive. WTF. That was two weeks before they closed Neopets Treasure Keepers. On Island Paradise they did exactly the same, stopped updates, posts from workers, contests etc. Then they came with a last update of some recoloured cash items that are super duper and nothing was heard again. Adam resigned and left (divorced?), the CEO resigned, Donna was left alone and posted 3 months later of no news or explanations or apologies, she says something about hush-hush stuff going on and that updates are coming again soon (probably she was trying again what they did on NTK calming people down so they keep buying cash stuff). No updates came of course and I got pissed off and uninstalled all their bloody games, so I dont know if they closed Island Paradise in the end or not.

You say they dont agree with what viacom was doing to Neopets, but they did exactly the same and worse, because what they did was not trying to earn money with their games, they were trying to scam people making them buy recoloured items when they knew they were gonna close (but they said they weren't), sure they already laid off the artist when that happened. .Seriously, I got very disappointed with them. I hope if I win 100m pounds once I dont become so horrible.

Edited by Hydrange, 10 April 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#27 RedRaz0r

RedRaz0r
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Well, nothing lasts forever. They might do a big advertising campaign and get a small increase here and there, but I'm sure they're on the way out

#28 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Has ANYTHING gone down to the pits and "bounced back" to its former glory?

#29 RedRaz0r

RedRaz0r
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

You know, I actually had a long thought about this when I read your post...came up with nothing =[

#30 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

What I also think took lots of players from Neopets are Facebook games. That Cityville has like 44m monthly users, and it's simple as hell! Everything has experienced loss of users towards facebooks, I was moderator in a forum that was very active but now all the old people is gone and new people only come to ask stuff and never join the community. Facebook killed the radio star.

#31 RedRaz0r

RedRaz0r
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

What I also think took lots of players from Neopets are Facebook games. That Cityville has like 44m monthly users, and it's simple as hell! Everything has experienced loss of users towards facebooks, I was moderator in a forum that was very active but now all the old people is gone and new people only come to ask stuff and never join the community. Facebook killed the radio star.

And that's why neopets developed Habitarium, I believe. But you're right, facebook is a bully

#32 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

And that's why neopets developed Habitarium, I believe. But you're right, facebook is a bully

It's way too easy to make money off of the Facebook community, just throw in some micro transaction bullshit after the game becomes popular and you can retire.

#33 Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

If they brought back UC pets I would be inclined to play on the site more...or at least have the option to change pets from UC to converted. I've lost all motivation to make NPs since..

#34 foxworth

foxworth
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

I honestly supported Neopets going pay-to-play (which contrary to what TNT claims, it WAS under consideration for a few years) I think their biggest mistake was pushing previous Nickelodeon heads to the top of Neopets, of course all they care and know about is targeting things to children. I don't think they realized just how many older players there are on the site and that most of the 'serious' players are over the age of 18 and probably have been playing for YEARS.

I totally agree with this. I feel like a lot of things get dumbed down because of the target audience. I've been playing neopets since I was 8, and I am now 18. I think this is the case for a lot of people. I don't think this is taken into consideration, and I really wish they'd make more accommodations for more mature and advanced players, but since it technically is a ~children's site, I don't see that happening.

#35 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I read the title of this thread and immediately thought, "What future?" :\

Don't think Adam and Donna would be much better. Since they earned all that money they changed a lot, see what their ex workers in Meteor Games have to say: http://www.glassdoor...ews-E218571.htm

That's... wow. I had no idea things were that bad at Meteor. I know they crashed and burned earlier this year, but to have that much internal dissatisfaction is nearly inconceivable. I can't say that them leaving Neopets did the game any good, but they clearly wouldn't have been able to handle it as it grew to the size it was a year or two ago -- that much is obvious.

#36 ROHLY20

ROHLY20
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Everything comes to an end sometime.

Edited by ROHLY20, 27 June 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#37 GothicxToy

GothicxToy
  • 442 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

well I've noticed the numbers with "players online" most I've ever seen it recently is 17k, I remember when it used to be like 42k =/

I think the main killer points are...
1) UC.....a LOT of people hate the new art design and those that do have UC pets aren't willing to part with them (for obvious reasons, don't blame them)
2) A lot of people on the boards have their own 'cliques' so its kinda hard for newbies to join the game
3) It's just business with a lot of people now, not a lot of people truly play it for fun anymore (just look at the pound neoboards section)
4) People are playing to get rich fast, and than hog up all the 'rich and famous' items like the super attack pea and really rare pets/colors (the alien aisha) =/
5) It's so stupidly easy to get 1000 NP now. I remember when it cost an arm and a leg to get that much through playing games. Hell, I remember when they only gave you 150 NP! to start with. The soup kitchen considered you were 'poor' if you had under 500 np!

#38 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

5) It's so stupidly easy to get 1000 NP now. I remember when it cost an arm and a leg to get that much through playing games. Hell, I remember when they only gave you 150 NP! to start with. The soup kitchen considered you were 'poor' if you had under 500 np!

Yes, but back then, the most expensive paint brush on the entire site was, what -- 40k? Inflation has really cost this site a lot of its integrity.

Otherwise, I agree with all your points. I miss the old game.

#39 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Pokémon. Look at the sales numbers decrease and then increase again over time if you don't believe me. Not to mention the slew of new merch, games, and events that are happening recently. Third gen was considered a 'dry' time in Pokémon's history, but it is indeed bouncing back.

#40 copley

copley
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

It has lasted so long. Why would you think it would ever end, especially in the near future?

#41 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Pokémon. Look at the sales numbers decrease and then increase again over time if you don't believe me. Not to mention the slew of new merch, games, and events that are happening recently. Third gen was considered a 'dry' time in Pokémon's history, but it is indeed bouncing back.

True. Unfortunately, Pokémon is in a realm all by itself. TV shows, amazing advertising, portable video games on many consoles -- it's playing an entirely different ball game than Viacom is playing with Neopets. I think some smart advertising has the potential to do Neo a lot of good, BUT it will need to be accompanied by a massive site overhaul; it's currently still stuck in 2004.

#42 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Just reading the pokemon thing made me think: What if neopets someone went pokemon? Where you created a character (avatar) and got to walk around neopia with your neopet following you and maybe use neopets you "catch" in a new plot.. (I suppose the BD is kinda like pokemon battling, but it hasn't been updated in forever!)

Honestly, if Viacom doesn't do something neopets will go down. I mean if you could somehow do more with your pets (instead of just training/looking at them) they might bring in more people. (I'd like that, I get bored just looking at my pets and being like "what are they even suposed to do?" I want them to do something)

Edited by Satsuki, 28 June 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#43 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

Just reading the pokemon thing made me think: What if neopets someone went mean if you could somehow do more with your pets (instead of just training/looking at them) they might bring in more people. (I'd like that, I get bored just looking at my pets and being like "what are they even suposed to do?" I want them to do something)

That's a great idea. Neopets has evolved into nothing more than a roleplaying site, and while it can still be fun if that's what you're into, the population of pet roleplayers online is way too small to rack up the numbers Neo probably needs just to stay afloat. Interaction is what it's all about.

Speaking of which, why oh why is the battledome still clickthrough?! They've been sitting on their laurels with that since the site first started -- it hasn't changed a bit! This should be their most fun, most interactive Flash game, and... nothing! It's astounding.

#44 Shwag

Shwag
  • 274 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

That's a great idea. Neopets has evolved into nothing more than a roleplaying site, and while it can still be fun if that's what you're into, the population of pet roleplayers online is way too small to rack up the numbers Neo probably needs just to stay afloat. Interaction is what it's all about.

Speaking of which, why oh why is the battledome still clickthrough?! They've been sitting on their laurels with that since the site first started -- it hasn't changed a bit! This should be their most fun, most interactive Flash game, and... nothing! It's astounding.

Because there is a large community that enjoys it the way it is, and if they updated it and fucked it up, they would lose a ton of people from it. They're too scared to touch it in fear of making it irreparable.

#45 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

It has lasted so long. Why would you think it would ever end, especially in the near future?

Well, everything ends eventually :o And haven't you seen Neo lately? It's not getting anywhere near as many visitors on average as it did a few years ago. And TNT have done pretty much fuck all to try and get more people to join their site~ It'll be cool to see how they handle things when/if it gets down to 5k people daily!

I think gen 3 was just considered 'bad' because by the time they came around, the people who were into gen 1/2 were in the 'wow you still watch/play/do that? but that's for baaabbies' stage x3 Not to mention that they couldn't transfer their Pokes over from the older games, but it changed a bit too much for that to happen anyways
Spoiler

Edited by Turnip, 28 June 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#46 GothicxToy

GothicxToy
  • 442 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

I lost interest/bothered trying to learn all the poke names after gen 3, because honestly, they too lost some originality and it got to the point where "what the hell, there's over 500 pokemon?!' a lot of the poke look similiar to each other too (delcaty and persian, both cats; beautifly and butterfree, just a few examples) I only play the games now ^^;

I think it'd be fun if they made pet-interaction a lot more....well, interactive. If you feed your pet manually you just get a picture and words saying "that was yummy" or something like that. Actually have the pet be more animated, maybe is what I'm asking for? Or randomly change faces in your active pet status box xD The occasional quote that pops up under the picture is rarely noticable =/

#47 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Because there is a large community that enjoys it the way it is, and if they updated it and fucked it up, they would lose a ton of people from it. They're too scared to touch it in fear of making it irreparable.

The simple solution to that would be to simultaneously offer both an upgraded and non-upgraded version. People who liked playing the old way still could, and people who would rather play a Flash game would have that option as well. They have the world maps in both HTML and Flash; the same concept would apply to the battledome.

I think it'd be fun if they made pet-interaction a lot more....well, interactive. If you feed your pet manually you just get a picture and words saying "that was yummy" or something like that. Actually have the pet be more animated, maybe is what I'm asking for? Or randomly change faces in your active pet status box xD The occasional quote that pops up under the picture is rarely noticable =/

Those are really great ideas. With the writers and animators they have on staff, it shouldn't be difficult at all to animate a pet eating a food item, and it would greatly increase the "modern" feel of the game. Wouldn't it be neat to watch your pet come down with an illness -- to watch their eyes disappear for "Blurred Vision," or to watch spots appear? :p

#48 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

I lost interest/bothered trying to learn all the poke names after gen 3, because honestly, they too lost some originality and it got to the point where "what the hell, there's over 500 pokemon?!' a lot of the poke look similiar to each other too (delcaty and persian, both cats; beautifly and butterfree, just a few examples) I only play the games now ^^;

Honestly, they ran out of pokemon ideas with Black and White: Vanillish looks like an ice cream cone, litwick is a candle that evolves into lapert which looks like a lamp and then some kind of chandelier thing.

I think it'd be fun if they made pet-interaction a lot more....well, interactive. If you feed your pet manually you just get a picture and words saying "that was yummy" or something like that. Actually have the pet be more animated, maybe is what I'm asking for? Or randomly change faces in your active pet status box xD The occasional quote that pops up under the picture is rarely noticeable =/

That's what I meant when I was talking about making the pets do something. Love the idea! And it wouldn't be that hard to implement either.

Wouldn't it be neat to watch your pet come down with an illness -- to watch their eyes disappear for "Blurred Vision," or to watch spots appear?

I like this idea as well, for the battle dome perhaps an animation of your pet doing an attack/blocking/using a weapon/ability? Like how the pokemon battles show things like "thunder blot" and you see a giant lighting bolt come down onto the opponent.

#49 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

I like this idea as well, for the battle dome perhaps an animation of your pet doing an attack/blocking/using a weapon/ability? Like how the pokemon battles show things like "thunder blot" and you see a giant lighting bolt come down onto the opponent.

Yes, exactly! Frankly, I think every pet event should have a Flash animation. When your pet finishes training, it should appear to bulk up or move faster. When your pet plays with a toy, you should get to watch it actually play with the toy.

Also, they could monetize pet expressions! Not that I'm all for spending more money, but it would be an idea they couldn't reject. You could buy a series of movements and facial expressions at the NC Mall for your pet, and set them up in a unique sequence, so that everyone who visited your pet could see it performing actions you "designed" for it.

#50 kidbit

kidbit
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Honestly, if Viacom doesn't do something neopets will go down. I mean if you could somehow do more with your pets (instead of just training/looking at them) they might bring in more people. (I'd like that, I get bored just looking at my pets and being like "what are they even suposed to do?" I want them to do something)

I totally agree with you. They were supposed to be the main attraction of the game, but instead they're only some kind of way of showing off how much money you have to others. Other than that they're useless - I mean, if you don't feed them for 5 years or leave them sick forever they will still be there. What's the point of taking care then? I remember when I first got to the site (8 years ago) I thought they were similar to tamagochis, that I had to feed, give medicines and everything else so it would grow up (or at least wouldn't die).

I really miss the old neopets, back when everything wasn't about real money. I remember my first goal was to have a baby Pteri, so I used to try to make 10k a day by playing games in order to buy the PB - it was so hard!

But what I miss the most are the old poses. Today I think some PB's aren't worth paying the price anymore. Faerie and Royal PB used to give a totally different appearance to your pet, today they're just normal pets with attached wings or clothes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users