Photo

A new pet site?

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

I know I'm a low ranking member, but look past that for a second here.

I'm not the only person to think this, but could this be pulled off if the site came together?
What I'm talking about is a new pet site like the old neopets before Viacom bought it.
Basically take what we loved about the old neopets, what we'd add to the current, and make it into a new website, that won't be run by a money grubbing company.
Make it about the players and not their money.

I bring this idea here, because this website basically holds ALL the people needed to run the site.

So I make this topic for peoples thoughts, inputs, ideas and suggestions.

EDIT: People think I want to make a clone of the old neopets, that's not the case. I want to make (or help make in this case) the next best thing. I used the old neopets as an example, because that's what everyone loves (and what brought this whole thing up).

What we need is ideas to make it stand out from neopets. Make it original.

If this gets enough momentum and shows people want to help bring it somewhere, I will happily invest into this.

Good ideas so far:

1) Better battle system
2) Stocks that actually get priced due to purchases of items at that shop and/or purchases of the stock
2) Mobile Access (Mobile Site and/or Apps)
3) Get starter pets at the beginning. Random events allow you to catch rare pets, potions/items to acquire special pets
4) Starter pet choices based on outcome of personality quiz upon signup.
5) Pets level up through battle experience and training area
6) Pets evolve by choice(what about painting/changing color?) upon completion of quests/plots/leveling up (?)

If I'm missing anything PM me and I'll keep the list going. So far it's looking good people, don't let this die.

Edited by St3v3, 07 April 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#2 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

It's been tried before (marapets was the most recent one I think?) and they all sort of fade away since they mostly don't bring anything new to the table. Unless you've got some ideas on how to make it stand out from Neopets then you might as well just fuck off with that idea.

#3 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

It's been tried before (marapets was the most recent one I think?) and they all sort of fade away since they mostly don't bring anything new to the table. Unless you've got some ideas on how to make it stand out from Neopets then you might as well just fuck off with that idea.

Which is why I made the thread. I'm sure some people here could have some ideas on how to make it stand out.

#4 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

tl;dr: Old Neopets Rip-off sites gets boring
Spoiler

#5 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

I'm not saying make a clone of the old neopets. Just bring the next best thing. Think about it.
Tamogotchi --> Pokemon --> Neopets --> ??????

#6 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

Not gonna happen. Unless you have a completely new idea rolling it'll just be seen as a ripoff of Neopets.

#7 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

Good luck, as much as I'd want to see a better pet site, I don't think even the talented people here could do it. There is a lot of stuff that goes on behind the curtains and I don't think it would last long enough for it to be decent.

Good luck thou. I hope you find a way to reward old players while drawing in new people, neopets has to many old age perks that I think are ruining the site.

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

There are plenty of other pet sites like Subeta, Marapets, Ichumon etc. Most of them are just very small though.

#9 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

I think the problem with other sites is that they branded themselves as the anti-neopets and basically granted everyone's wishes of what they wanted and dreamed for on Neopets but could never get.
Lax filters on the chat boards, easy to make money and achieve your goals, etc etc. and that's why they've practically failed.

Neopets at least took time to roll stuff out, made it challenging in some aspects. All these others sites just give people everything they want fast and easy......then they get bored. Like I did.

#10 Jun

Jun
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

I think the problem with other sites is that they branded themselves as the anti-neopets and basically granted everyone's wishes of what they wanted and dreamed for on Neopets but could never get.
Lax filters on the chat boards, easy to make money and achieve your goals, etc etc. and that's why they've practically failed.

Neopets at least took time to roll stuff out, made it challenging in some aspects. All these others sites just give people everything they want fast and easy......then they get bored. Like I did.

I totally agree. Challange is what makes it addicting. And of course the community.. None of those sites can match Neopets because of these facts.

#11 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

I tried telling that to Keith when Subeta initially launched YEARS ago but he was so against Neopets, that's all he really cared about. Of course, now he has more important things on his plate than just Subeta.

But all these sites were like "LOOK YOU CAN SWEAR ON OUR CHAT BOARDS".....big woop. All it does is open the door for ignorance and bullshit without decent moderation. Half the reason Keith did that was so homosexuality could be discussed without punishment (which I admit I supported because Neopets has a LONG anti-gay history. For years, and even so today, you can talk about your husband or wife / kids but ONE mention of a "partner" and you're lucky to not get frozen)

Then they were all "Omg we have human avatars". Wtf I thought it was supposed to be a virtual pet website? o.0
Then they allowed you do have as many pets as you want, instead of having to unlock more slots or purchase them. So *bam* everyone had 50 pets.
I played once and had the pet I wanted within days. It was far too easy.

You can't give everyone what they want, otherwise they'll get bored......and they did Lol

#12 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Eh Subeta is still huge. :/ Not like Neopets, but getting there.

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

They'd probably be more popular if they didn't make it as difficult to cheat effectively. :p

#14 Averssion

Averssion
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Subeta is awesome.

#15 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Tamogotchi --> Pokemon --> Neopets --> Virtupets

*shudders*

#16 megedyz

megedyz
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

I can't see any pet site really filling in that gap that Neopets would leave, nor at this point do I see enough people quitting Neo or wanting to switch over. I remember when Neolanz started up in an attempt to be a sort of "not neopets but for people that loved super old Neopets", but, honestly, the userbase wasn't there and it just fizzled and died. At this point it's just a tomb.

Subeta is alright, but it seems to me that it just focuses too much on the chat boards and I don't care for that. Nor do I care for everyone's ridiculously overfilled userpages with 100 pets each.

#17 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

The main thing that would attract me to a different site would be a better battledome system. Doesn't have to be overly flashy but if it were at least implemented and maintained better I would be happy.

#18 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Alright let me put it very simply for you.... If there was a new neopets site right now, Would you join it?

#19 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

No.

I would need to see what about it is appealing, if it has a strong user base and doesn't allow you to have 50,000 pets per account, doesn't have a small group dictating the economy, has features I enjoy that I feel Neopets is lacking then yes I would join.

As it stands why fix something that is still functioning? I'm not going so far as to say that Neopets isn't broken because they've expanded to the point they have neglected entirely certain aspects of the site (battledome) but the site itself is still functioning just fine.

#20 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

I've been playing with an idea that would change things up quite a bit. I just have to sit down and actually design it and put all the pieces together. It's on my list of projects to conquer. Perhaps after I finish working on owrglass I'll have enough experience to go big with an idea like this.

#21 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

I've been playing with an idea that would change things up quite a bit. I just have to sit down and actually design it and put all the pieces together. It's on my list of projects to conquer. Perhaps after I finish working on owrglass I'll have enough experience to go big with an idea like this.

If you do this I would totally back and support you.

To better answer Leaf, I would not just join some random Neopets Spin-off site however... if our Codex community were to start a site we could keep it separated enough from Neopets and strengthen the parts that made it enjoyable to the point that you could count me in as one of the first few members to ever join.

#22 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

To better answer Leaf, I would not just join some random Neopets Spin-off site however... if our Codex community were to start a site we could keep it separated enough from Neopets and strengthen the parts that made it enjoyable to the point that you could count me in as one of the first few members to ever join.

A Codex pet site would be really neat, thinking about it! :o

You can count me in for that as well~ (and oops that reminds me, I've been meaning to install Flash and try to make a really shitty basic game or something in it huh!)

#23 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have zero experience in game design, I'm not an artist, and I have hardly written applications like this before. I need to find people who are good and have this kind of experience and who are willing to work with me on it :p.

Making it a codex project would be pretty cool. I hadn't thought of that. I'll think about the idea some more and see if there is some way I can get codex to help me make it awesome :).

#24 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have little experience with java, and flash programming, but never finished a full flash game. I decided I wanted to build a php based site with flash applications. I'm also past C programmer... If that's interesting at all.
I'm into flash because I like drawing a lot. And seeing as my drawing moves on the screen just by pressing the arrow keys is fun.

#25 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

We have enough talented programmers, graphic designers, and those with management/administrative/moderator experience that we can design an actual not shitty game that would actually be successful and pull in a large community without having to sacrifice this one in order to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users