Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Ooh, ooh ooh, can I be customer support? I actually won't ignore people :D

#27 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

I have zero experience in game design, I'm not an artist, and I have hardly written applications like this before. I need to find people who are good and have this kind of experience and who are willing to work with me on it :p.

Making it a codex project would be pretty cool. I hadn't thought of that. I'll think about the idea some more and see if there is some way I can get codex to help me make it awesome :).

Yesss a site-wide project would be really awesome! Plus, we wouldn't have to worry about the whole 'look for people who can possibly help with x then they don't show up the next day', since a lot of the members here already come here daily and stuff x3

Not to mention there are already a lot of people on here who could help out with content things (programmers and artists*cough me *cough* are the two that first come to my head that a lot of other projects tend to lack, especially programmers) :D

Ooh, ooh ooh, can I be customer support? I actually won't ignore people :D

Same!! x3 ♥

Edited by Turnip, 07 April 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#28 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

I would definitely join :D Shotgun being some sort of super admin/moderator though ;)

I could write things like plots and character stories - I love writing and inventing back-stories. Oh I am real excited about this, let's actually make it happen Posted Image

#29 fimend

fimend
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Making it a codex project would be pretty cool. I hadn't thought of that. I'll think about the idea some more and see if there is some way I can get codex to help me make it awesome :).

I think it would be a fun way to tie the community together since a lot of us have something to offer to a project like that. I'm definitely open to the idea.

#30 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Nevermind. Anyway, I would be more than happy to throw down 50% costs if it ever comes to be.

Edited by St3v3, 07 April 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#31 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

I love how everyone basically shoots my idea the fuck down till hydrogen says something then all of sudden everyone supports it.
>.> nice.

I think what they were saying is that it's not a bad idea but you have to make it interesting and different from what Neopets has already done instead of reinventing the wheel. Generating users for a website like this and asking them to spend time on it is very difficult. You have to make it engaging and different if they are to spend any time on it.

#32 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I think what they were saying is that it's not a bad idea but you have to make it interesting and different from what Neopets has already done instead of reinventing the wheel. Generating users for a website like this and asking them to spend time on it is very difficult. You have to make it engaging and different if they are to spend any time on it.

Yeah I understand that. Though nowadays, it's hard to not keep reinventing the wheel.

One of my huge ideas is a completely different battle system. Not an html one.

Perhaps I should have started this topic saying "What does Neopets not have that you would like to see in a pet game".

#33 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

There's probably a gap in the market for a site like that with a decent mobile element.

#34 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

One of my huge ideas is a completely different battle system. Not an html one.

You severely underestimate the power of modern HTML.

#35 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

You severely underestimate the power of modern HTML.

Oh sh-, my bad, totally forgot about the new HTML.
I just meant neopets html

#36 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Oh sh-, my bad, totally forgot about the new HTML.
I just meant neopets html

HTML is actually the best thing to use as long as it's done properly. You have to remember that most of Neopets' stuff was written years ago on now outdated standards.

#37 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

How about special animals that Rolling wrote about (in separate books), or animals from wonderland...? I don't mind supporting in every subject a little... Art, programming and more stuff... I've planned on building a virtual site anyway...

Encrypted* system is also important o: (You can't really do that with just HTML here)...

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#38 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

There's probably a gap in the market for a site like that with a decent mobile element.

This, right here, could be a HUGE thing.

#39 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Look fact of the matter is... we do have the resources/people to accomplish a massive project such as this. Implementing the different elements that have already been mentioned are a start to designing an overall plan for it.

• Mobile Access
  • Better Battledome System

That's really just not a lot of ideas and we need to evaluate what we can do that is going to set us apart from other sites... building up hype and getting people interested isn't a huge problem...

"Join Skyler on her expedition to explore the land of Codexia, can you unravel the mysteries of this island? Find out May 15th, 2012!"

Post something like that all over facebook, build pages and support.... it's not hard doing that part.

Everyone seems all on board for being "staff" yet no one is really adding any new ideas here. So start coming up with some actual ideas that we can begin working from and let's see what happens. Mobile Access and a Better Battledome System is a start but surely we are a creative enough bunch to come up with more ideas.

#40 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Look fact of the matter is... we do have the resources/people to accomplish a massive project such as this. Implementing the different elements that have already been mentioned are a start to designing an overall plan for it.

• Mobile Access
  • Better Battledome System

That's really just not a lot of ideas and we need to evaluate what we can do that is going to set us apart from other sites... building up hype and getting people interested isn't a huge problem...

"Join Skyler on her expedition to explore the land of Codexia, can you unravel the mysteries of this island? Find out May 15th, 2012!"

Post something like that all over facebook, build pages and support.... it's not hard doing that part.

Everyone seems all on board for being "staff" yet no one is really adding any new ideas here. So start coming up with some actual ideas that we can begin working from and let's see what happens. Mobile Access and a Better Battledome System is a start but surely we are a creative enough bunch to come up with more ideas.

Agreed. So come on guys, let's get some solid ideas together here. Honestly, what has neopets ALWAYS been missing that YOU'VE always wanted? Spit it out, it may become a reality.
As for me, I'm gonna sit and brainstorm a bit, because this could be a super fun project that could pay off in the end.

#41 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Something like NQ but without the constant refreshing and other people being able to play (of course there would have to be some sort of limit to how many people could be on a server but still) would be pretty neat! :D

It would also be nice if there was a way for the community to really get involved with content-related things, you know like adding items or having a bi-monthly (or not as frequent as that) pet colour/avatar/overall site content contests~ Like in Neopets, it would be really nice if we could draw up a background then actually be able to use it... To get around people using ~*nsfw things omg a dick!!!!! hide your christian children!!!!*~, they could just get a mod or two and manually accept the bgs >w>

#42 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

How about special animals that Rolling wrote about (in separate books), or animals from wonderland...? I don't mind supporting in every subject a little... Art, programming and more stuff... I've planned on building a virtual site anyway...

Encrypted* system is also important o: (You can't really do that with just HTML here)...

Wonderland? Fairy tale animals? regular pets? dragons?
What should we begin with? I think we need a background story to begin with... leave the technical things aside for now...

#43 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

To bounce on Yung's suggestion on a battledome idea, the new pet site would be amazing if there was a new way for the pets to level up and get stronger other than pure fighting/grinding/farming/paying&waiting. Maybe in the lines of completing interactive quests/odd jobs or at the very least, a balanced combination of fighting/grinding/farming/paying&waiting.

#44 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

To bounce on Yung's suggestion on a battledome idea, the new pet site would be amazing if there was a new way for the pets to level up and get stronger other than pure fighting/grinding/farming/paying&waiting. Maybe in the lines of completing interactive quests/odd jobs or at the very least, a balanced combination of fighting/grinding/farming/paying&waiting.

Fighting who? You need to build a whole battle system and statistics, abilities and much more... Just where do you want to start?
Maybe you want something like a huge neoquest? But then it'll be like another grinding game to level up... you need something else. For example, winning specific opponent you'll gain x ability... And a training area and stuff.

#45 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Fighting who? You need to build a whole battle system and statistics, abilities and much more... Just where do you want to start?
Maybe you want something like a huge neoquest? But then it'll be like another grinding game to level up... you need something else. For example, winning specific opponent you'll gain x ability... And a training area and stuff.

That would work, but in all honesty I almost like the neo way better, seeing as you can't just go level up as much as you want, there's wait times.
The specific opponents & gaining an extra ability is a fantastic idea.

#46 fimend

fimend
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

A stockmarket that actually requires some amount of skill would be nice. The Neo stockmarket is completely random and is not affected by the Neopets economy. It would be cool to have a stockmarket that is actually influenced by the buying and selling of goods that happens on the site.

#47 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

That would work, but in all honesty I almost like the neo way better, seeing as you can't just go level up as much as you want, there's wait times.
The specific opponents & gaining an extra ability is a fantastic idea.

If someone wants anything from this project he should bring ideas AND explaining what exactly he wants... We can't just guess what people thinking about.
Now all we need is a few things better than neopets and so it won't be TOO similar. We all want better arena then we should create a nice storyline, special and non-special opponents and so much more :D

^ Building a trading system... Based on what... Explain PLEASE =)

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#48 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

I have zero experience in game design, I'm not an artist, and I have hardly written applications like this before. I need to find people who are good and have this kind of experience and who are willing to work with me on it :p.

We would have to play legit though... Unless we cheated ourselves or our own system... But then what would be the point of that? Its like when you own a game and as soon as you start using cheat codes... Ya the game is still fun for a little while... But then it gets boring really fast because you can pretty much do anything. The thing about neopets that keeps me hooked despite being 23 years old, is the fact that I'm cheating on someone elses game. Its always a cat and mouse game, where I'm always trying to see how much I can get away with before i get caught. That is what makes neopets fun for me. And that is why a neocodex pet game would not be fun for me.

Edited by Leaf, 07 April 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#49 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

What I would like to see is a site where you can only use 1 pet at a time, but you can own up to 6 (we're running a pokemon style system). As you battle your pets gain small amounts of stats, like if you win then you gain 0.025 of LIF or 0.5 of Speed. Speed has an actual purpose.

Your level does more than just limit the amount you can train a particular stat; your pet 'evolves' as it levels higher into something similar but different (Not necessarily limited to 3 evolutions) we can have special evolutions made available through site plots which warrant special pet abilities, Pet abilities are actually effective and grow more powerful as they are leveled.

There are thousands of different battle systems we can mold off of. Something that is simple yet variable supportive would be ideal in my honest opinion.

#50 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

We would have to play legit though... Unless we cheated ourselves or our own system... But then what would be the point of that? Its like when you own a game and as soon as you start using cheat codes... Ya the game is still fun for a little while... But then it gets boring really fast because you can pretty much do anything. The thing about neopets that keeps me hooked despite being 23 years old, is the fact that I'm cheating on someone elses game. Its always a cat and mouse game, where I'm always trying to see how much I can get away with before i get caught. That is what makes neopets fun for me. And that is why a neocodex pet game would not be fun for me.

Why not using our own abilities and try to build a defense system that is pretty hard to cheat/crack?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users