• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

I am currently reading this article about how society is regressing intellectually.

I have intentionally said a minimal amount, because it encourages those capable of reading to do so- and thus potentially contribute opinions which are valid and of worth.

Discuss.

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

There aren't fewer "big ideas".

They're just harder to understand.

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

There aren't fewer "big ideas".

They're just harder to understand.

I also think that the abundance of information makes "big ideas" commonplace to the extent that they are overlooked. And I think the writer mistakes this ignorance and incomprehension to mean that there is a lack of such ideas and thinkers. Perhaps it is true to say that the wealth of information results in divergence within soicety intellectually- those who utilise information and produce great ideas, and those who fail to grapple with the premises of 'facts' they may find and thus find no deeper understanding.

#4 The Awesome Max

The Awesome Max
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

7 billion people in the world and less than half get the education needed to really excel in the big idea department, the rest are squashed by religious or ethical fanatics.

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

7 billion people in the world and less than half get the education needed to really excel in the big idea department, the rest are squashed by religious or ethical fanatics.

Don't be silly. The real "big ideas" don't come from education, they come from ignoring it.

#6 darkwizard

darkwizard
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Don't be silly. The real "big ideas" don't come from education, they come from ignoring it.

They come from ignoring high school education and early undergrad maybe. Initial education in reading (& comprehension) is necessary, though that can be done at home.
Graduate studies are where some really cool shit happens, and where awesome research gets funded. It's very, very difficult to get to that point without having paid attention to some of your education, though. Especially in specialized topics. :)

Pretty sure Max is talking about how most people don't even know how to read, and how schooling is necessary for some children to learn at all.

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

You don't need to be able to read to have a great idea.

#8 Zirae

Zirae
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Society is regressing intellectually.

I don't even find that hard to believe. I swear to God my experiences with the education system in my country are only limiting my abilities. There is no development of creativity or actual independent thought, resulting in everyone being frickin' spoon-fed answers. I swear I'm stupider than I used to be. -.-

This.

#9 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

You also have to take into account what time we live in...
It's getting really hard to have "big ideas" they've almost all been done. None of you noticed the lack of originality in the world nowadays? Everythings a copy of something.
All we can do now is make "big improvements".

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

I don't think people are running out of big ideas or ideas at all. Part of the creative and intellectual process is taking what we know and building on it. That's where ideas come from.

Part of the issue is that there is just SO MUCH INFORMATION out there that some big ideas are being overlooked in favor of other tiny, insignificant ideas. The other part to this is that I'm sure the really huge ideas are being tested by people who have money. For example, this 17 year old girl created a nano particle last year that cures cancer. I'm sure this is being tested or patented (or repressed) somewhere.

Another issue I see with this article is discrimination. It's easy to just see what you want to see.

I don't even find that hard to believe. I swear to God my experiences with the education system in my country are only limiting my abilities. There is no development of creativity or actual independent thought, resulting in everyone being frickin' spoon-fed answers. I swear I'm stupider than I used to be. -.-

I believe this mindset is part of the problem. If you feel limited, why don't you do something about it? You obviously have the internet. You can teach yourself the world. You're limiting yourself with that mindset. How many people had limited formal education who went on to do amazing things?

Even if this is a time of intellectual regression, then it'll work out. Look at history. People were dumb for a while, then brilliant for a while, then dumb again. We could just be cycling through.

EDIT: OH, GOD. Never mind. People are idiots. We're all screwed.

Today, the Obama administration realized Romney is a Conservative and some of the secret service agents didn't realize they were picking up prostitutes at a strip club.

Edited by Napiform, 18 April 2012 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users