Quantcast

Photo

Is the world better with or without religion?

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the world better with or without religion?

Is the world better with or without religion?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#276 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

Religion divides more often than it unites, therefore I believe that a world without it would be better

Alternatively, everyone believing the same religion would accomplish the same thing, but then that would essentially be a world without religion as the "religion" in this case would more be a "fact"

#277 GumCuzzler

GumCuzzler
  • Creature of the Night

• 921 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

Probably posted in this thread already, and if that is the case I am replacing my previous reply with:

The world isn't better or worse because of religion. I feel that religion is a way of interacting with the world around us- a lens which we look through. It is when people confuse religion with morals that things start to get messy. As far as I know, no religions preach violence or discrimination as their fundamental principles- religion is only coloured that way by humans who misunderstand the teachings because they are looking it at the wrong way.

It is people who fuck up things- not religion.

#278 wpsiatwin

wpsiatwin
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

It is people who fuck up things- not religion.

Agreed. Its just like science, economics, gaming etc. 

And we see people from different gaming communities bashing each other. Communists bashing capitalists and vice versa. We, as a species, are mighty good at finding things to argue about, in essence our differences.

If we could learn to not give a shit about how other people are different from us, it wouldn't matter that they subscribe to a different brand of god. But because we can't, every difference between us creates a divide filled with resentment and conflict. 

So, to me, the question being asked is irrelevant. With or without religion, man will still fight amongst man. In the absence of a reason, man will invent one.

#279 jonis

jonis
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:25 AM

As long as religion is an individual belief I can definitely appreciate it. When it tries to tell non-believers what to do, well, then we could do without it.

But really, it's Impossible to answer. I can't say that North Korea has done much better without religion that we have with religion. And if people weren't fighting over religion we'd probably fight over something as trivial such as colour of clothes or something.

The world would probably be a much better place without man. But then we wouldn't be having this conversation. That, or we would all be some cool-looking animal instead like below.

Spoiler

Edited by jonis, 25 June 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#280 Halcyon

Halcyon
  • 59 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'd really like to say without, but either way, the world will always try to find a way to screw itself. 

#281 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4,356 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

Revived --

Michigan House Passes Religious 'License To Discriminate' Bill

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act, akin to one that made nationwide headlines in Arizona but was vetoed, appears to merely force the government to step aside if a person's "deeply-held religious beliefs" mandate they act, or not act, in a certain manner.

Supporters of these bills claim they allow people of faith to exercise their religion without government interference, but in reality, they are trojan horses, allowing rampant discrimination under the guise of religious observance.

For example, under the Religious Freedom law, a pharmacist could refuse to fill a doctor's prescription for birth control, or HIV medication. An emergency room physician or EMT could refuse service to a gay person in need of immediate treatment. A school teacher could refuse to mentor the children of a same-sex couple, and a DMV clerk could refuse to give a driver's license to a person who is divorced. 

Sawce: http://www.thenewciv...scriminate_bill

Kind of stupid don'tcha think?

#282 Lucy

Lucy
  • 519 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:32 AM

The basic idea of religion as a guide line how to treat your fellow humans is neat-o. What religious institutions made of those basic rules isn't very neat-o.

If you can practice your religion without harming others, if you can practice your lack of religion without harming others, it's all cool.

#283 vay

vay
  • 105 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

Inconsequential. How easy it is to blame a belief system for the consequences of actions. Religion itself does not make the world better/worse, it is the actions that speak for themselves. I do believe religion is of certain importance, due to the fact that freedom in believing what you want is important and the positive values that many religions incorporate into the people that believe. Religion does not define world peace, wars, great events, bad events, etc. because it is the take that every individual has on his or her beliefs that changes the impact that is made on the world. Sure, religion is an influence on people's actions, but still, we humans have judgement too, a mind and values which dictate our actions, not religion. The world is at the mercy of the human free will more than religion. Religion itself is a concept detached from the person we really are, but again, it depends on the person to apply the values and beliefs of a religion into a positive/negative lifestyle. People can make anything of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users