87 replies to this topic

#51 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Please let me explain...

I dont see how that is grasping at straws...

you spend eight years to get your Masters, during which you are taking tests our your ass. Then you go off and create a thesis to gain your PHD. This means for 8 of 10ish years, you are taking tests that prove that you know your subject matter.

You don't spend eight years to get a master's ... etc

You do in the US.

In the US its FOUR years for BS and TWO years for a masters.

No

4 + 2 = 6, which is what it takes to get your MS

Then a Php, which is a level higher then an ms, takes two more years. Or maybe four, depending on your field and your thesis.

I can't believe you are this retarded... seriously...

Damn it Waser, badger ninja

#52 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

if only one of you would go ahead and butt fuck the other, thus concretely defining the hierarchy of this forum - then there would never be a question of who is right

Spoiler

#53 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

And good luck finding a PhD which takes 2 years...

I typed wrong then, my apologizes. I was always talking about phd (Since that is what that guy has)

There are a few categories that only take 2 years. But most of them are 4 years. Regardless, your spending multiple years to reach a phd, during which you take exams while your doing it.

#54 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

iargue never ceases to amaze me... Perhaps you should read your own posts BEFORE making your next post as you seem to always contradict the post you just made... and then your third post is to argue that your second post was valid as your first post didn't happen... Except it is still there.. in big bold letters highlighted by anyone else that can actually read.

It's apparent that you do not understand higher education nor do you understand that someone with a Ph.D. in any subject can then dedicate their life to another subject and be an expert in that field. There are two paths to expertise in this argument. One is through direct education, the other being experience. I believe 10 years of research qualifies you as an expert on the matter.

Moreover, as Joe has mentioned several times, the work (as I understand it) is a literary review of sorts. It is a compilation of countless scientific studies that have all had validity tested and the work serves to compile these studies into one definitive book.

I'd also like clarification on Joe's earlier question to you that you completely ignored.

Are you arguing;

a) that animals do not display non-heterosexual mating/companionship behaviours?
b) that this book specifically is inaccurate regarding non-heterosexual mating/companionship behaviours?
c) that you can't trust any books because the authors might be lying or confused?

#55 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

I typed wrong then, my apologizes. I was always talking about phd (Since that is what that guy has)

There are a few categories that only take 2 years. But most of them are 4 years. Regardless, your spending multiple years to reach a phd, during which you take exams while your doing it.

A Ph.D takes as long as it takes. There's no real limit on it, unless you have time-limited funding, and even that can be extended if you can prove to a funding committee that you deserve more time and money.

I suggest, if you want to whinge about "people going off topic", you whizz back and address my last "relevant post" tout suite.
I've even reproduced it for you here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A series of five fraudulent papers by Jan Hendrik Schön were published in Nature in the 2000–2001 period. The papers, about superconductivity, were revealed to contain falsified data and other scientific fraud. In 2003 the papers were retracted by Nature."
Even the best make mistakes?

So then why bother insisting for a peer review process anyway, since it's clearly unfit for purpose?
You're making steadily less sense.

You'll also note the retraction within 2-3 years. Biological Exuberance has been published for thirteen years, and no such denouncement is forthcoming.

No. Everything he CLAIMS he used is peer reviewed. Is his actual findings peer reviewed?

What findings? The book is a collation and review of relevant research. It doesn't have "findings".

If I had ten years to waste on you, I could type out the list of references for every chapter, and we could work through those.
Of course, since you wouldn't know a sound methodology if it slapped you in the face, it'd be somewhat pointless.

(Again, I note that you failed to address another salient point: What do you think the book's pages are filled with, if not the scientific evidence that backs up the claims of each paper?)

#56 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

You have no idea how to get a Ph.D, do you? There are no "Ph.D tests".

Also, it's cute that you've decided to ignore my posts now. What do you think that says about you?

You are such a condescending dick, but since it's towards iargue, I'll allow.

#57 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

I've grown bored of this debate, as its not actually progression forward. All you can do is reiterate what I've said isn't good enough for me to consider it a fact, and you refuse to provide anything else as a basis for this book being valid (Maybe because there isn't any?)

From now on though, I get to be an expert in Computer Security, and Computer Hardward. Ty for that :)

#58 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

I've grown bored of this debate, as its not actually progression forward. All you can do is reiterate what I've said isn't good enough for me to consider it a fact, and you refuse to provide anything else as a basis for this book being valid (Maybe because there isn't any?)

From now on though, I get to be an expert in Computer Security, and Computer Hardward. Ty for that :)

You haven't grown bored of the debate. You never made a substantive reply to anything anyone has posted, and have continually made a fool of yourself.
Everyone can see that.

And I think, at the very least, you have to be able to spell the subject in which you're claiming to be an expert before anyone will take you seriously.

#59 ch33psh33p

ch33psh33p
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Oh god, this thread has been wonderfully enjoyable to follow for the past 24 hours. Thank you Sweeney for being so ... eloquent with your words.

Edited by ch33psh33p, 19 April 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#60 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Sweeney's harmonious mastery of grammar and intellectual whoop-ass give me the most explicable boners.

#61 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Sweeney's harmonious mastery of grammar and intellectual whoop-ass give me the most explicable boners.

Explicate sed boners.

#62 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

summary: We can't believe anyone's opinion on things unless they have a degree in it.

Noted.

I distrust everything i learned pre-high school. Fuck the multiplication table.

#63 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

summary: We can't believe anyone's opinion on things unless they have a degree in it.

Noted.

I distrust everything i learned pre-high school. Fuck the multiplication table.

For that matter I don't even trust most of what I learned in high school. The majority of my teachers didn't have degrees in what they were teaching.

Come to think of it, they didn't go out of their way to prove to us the validity or accuracy of the texts that we were learning out of, either. Though most educational textbooks are usually collections of prior findings and research by other people, there is nothing to say that the writer didn't get lazy or bored and start writing whatever bullshit came to their head.

Could you imagine if some prick student actually said to you, "I don't trust what you're teaching me in this class, because you don't have a degree in it so obviously you're not an expert," or, "I refuse to use this textbook because there is nothing proving that it is accurate?"

#64 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

For that matter I don't even trust most of what I learned in high school. The majority of my teachers didn't have degrees in what they were teaching.

Come to think of it, they didn't go out of their way to prove to us the validity or accuracy of the texts that we were learning out of, either. Though most educational textbooks are usually collections of prior findings and research by other people, there is nothing to say that the writer didn't get lazy or bored and start writing whatever bullshit came to their head.

Could you imagine if some prick student actually said to you, "I don't trust what you're teaching me in this class, because you don't have a degree in it so obviously you're not an expert," or, "I refuse to use this textbook because there is nothing proving that it is accurate?"

<3 Let me love you.

(I shouldn't have been so rep-happy earlier then I'd have some left)

Also, this makes me think that iargue must have been an absolute pleasure to teach :p

#65 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

there is nothing to say that the writer didn't get lazy or bored and start writing whatever bullshit came to their head.

Oh, so that's why partial differential equations exist! :p

Edited by Russell, 19 April 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#66 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Exactly my point. I learned English from my sister when I was 2. She didn't have a fuckin' English degree at 4. Clearly I don't know proper English. I basically speak 0 languages instead of 3.

My English teacher in high school had a math degree. Not even a Ph.D like I'd need to know he knew his shit. So what if I learned more about literature in that one year than I did the rest of my life? He had no fucking degree in it.

All the people at my work that are "experts" at their job because they've been there for 20 years? Pssh. Where's your fuckin' cashier degree?!

#67 Averssion

Averssion
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Eh my reply was rendered redundant XD

Nicely done Sweeney :3 Pro arguing skillz.

Edited by Averssion, 19 April 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#68 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

<3 Let me love you.

(I shouldn't have been so rep-happy earlier then I'd have some left)

Also, this makes me think that iargue must have been an absolute pleasure to teach :p

I have 8 written references from my teachers. :)

#69 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Oh, so that's why partial differential equations exist! :p

I knew it!!!

#70 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

I have 8 written references from my teachers. :)

So? They could have gotten bored halfway through and written any old bullshit.

Are your references peer reviewed? I think not.

In fact, we have no evidence that you were even educated at all. Are these reference writers even teachers? Are they even human?!

#71 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

I keep clicking on this thread thinking it'll be full of smart stuff, but then I'm like oh, yeah. iargue doesn't believe in animal buttsex sources because he isn't personally educated in it.

Can we rename it?

Edited by Napiform, 19 April 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#72 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

I keep clicking on this thread thinking it'll be full of smart stuff, but then I'm like oh, yeah. iargue doesn't believe in animal buttsex sources because he isn't personally educated in it.

Can we rename it?

To what? Sweeney and iargue arguing? :p

#73 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

You could rename it "iargue gets his arse handed to him for arguing on a topic he knows less than nothing about. Again." if you like.

#74 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

You could rename it "iargue gets his arse handed to him for arguing on a topic he knows less than nothing about. Again." if you like.

But why this specific one? Do i have to go back and do that with ALL the topics? :(

There are so many!

#75 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

In fact, we have no evidence that you were even educated at all. Are these reference writers even teachers? Are they even human?!

I'd be more inclined to believe those references came from gay, buttfucking monkeys. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users