Tor Project

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Polyphony

Polyphony
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Does anyone use this? https://www.torproje...g/index.html.en

The proxies seem to be anonymous as far as your true IP being shown, but the IP that's given is listed as being part of their database so it isn't completely safe.. maybe just to do a suicide run on a shell or something short term like that. Anyone have any experience with this?

Edit: It's not a proxy, persay, just hides your IP behind one of theirs. You can't use the program manager with this but you can use it to access shells you're unsure of.

Edited by Polyphony, 18 April 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#2 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Yeah. Too bad it's easy to detect if you're using Tor.

I thought you could use the Program Manager with Tor. You just need to make sure Vidalia is set up as an HTTP proxy or something, and then use localhost as your proxy location. I could be wrong though and I don't recommend it because of the detectability.

#3 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

You are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better off buying a VPN :l

#4 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Yeah. Too bad it's easy to detect if you're using Tor.

I thought you could use the Program Manager with Tor. You just need to make sure Vidalia is set up as an HTTP proxy or something, and then use localhost as your proxy location. I could be wrong though and I don't recommend it because of the detectability.

This, and

You are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better off buying a VPN :l

This.

Besides, Tor is as slow as plate tectonics. It's like going back to dialup. No thanks. Besides, there are very limited exit nodes, so you're still using a single IP, and other users could be doing the same thing you are. In fact, if ANY users are doing so, then you'll all look like the same person. Tor nodes work on the basis on onion routing, but they also route you to an exit node that is "closest" geographically to the destination. Neopets probably has more than one front end server by now, but still... they're all probably in the US. Not good odds in my book.

Don't get me wrong, I do have Tor installed on my mac, but I don't really use it. If I were looking to buy something illegal, or if I were in a position to go whistleblower on a MNC or government, then I would fire it up. But I haven't used it in the 9 months it's been sitting on my desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users