Photo

Help formatting NTFS to FAT32

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chopped

Chopped
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

I am trying to reformat a NTFS drive to FAT32. I have tried EASEUS and a few others. The drive is a 500gb WD, and I am trying to use it on a Mac. I can only get a file system on it with NTFS, once I try FAT32 it deletes the file system, wont format, and I am stuck using NTFS. I am also trying to format it on a windows computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I formatted a 1TB hard drive to FAT32 with no problem, but this 500gb is being a pain.

#2 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

I don't know much about formatting but I tried formatting on mac using disk utility and it doesn't really work. When I formatted my HD for exFat it worked perfectly by formatting it on windows 7 by going to properties.

#3 Chopped

Chopped
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

Could you read and write on the mac?

#4 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:48 AM

Yeah, I think fat32 lets you read and write on mac but not files over 4gb. exFat allows you to deal with files over 4gb on both mac and pc but I think it's just the newer more recent versions of operating systems. I formatted exfat on disk utility but it claims to have done it but didn't. Use the formatting option on windows 7, although I don't know if you have to untick quick format. I did and it took a whole day to format my 1tb HD. Maybe you could do it without ticking that, not sure.

#5 Chopped

Chopped
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Just formated to exFAT going to try to see if I can write to it once my friend gets back. Thanks. I am still not sure why I couldn't format it to FAT32.

#6 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

Yeah that's weird, Did you use disk utility on mac?

#7 Chopped

Chopped
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

No I am not familiar with the mac OS, and don't really plan on learning it. I'll just have to wait a couple hours until he gets back, and see what happens. I will post the results in case somebody else has the same problems. Not really sure why they would though.

#8 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

Ah I see, if it doesn't work for you, try unticking quick format. Worked for me but yeah good luck!

#9 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Download gparted, burn a live-cd, boot into the cd and then format the drive into fat.

#10 Chopped

Chopped
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Cyo, cant really download my net where I am is slow as shit. I got it though, I just fooled around in the Mac and figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users