Photo

Pen Tool Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 esotericaKoalan

esotericaKoalan
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Here's a tutorial on how to use the pen tool that I wrote a while ago (and kind of forgot about when Megaupload got shut down).

It's not a very word-heavy tutorial. Instead, it shows you how I click and drag while using the pen tool.

Here's the finished product:
Posted Image

It does NOT walk you through the entire lineart - only the first few parts (hat, face, etc).
But by the time you get to the later portions, I assume that you can figure it out (if not, you can turn off the guide and retry the first few portions).

Download

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Edited by Synecdoche, 24 April 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#2 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Ooooh. Cool!
I'll check it out!

#3 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

i hATE the pen tool.

it took me so long to learn how to use it omf.
what was it called..bezier lines ? those confused me so mcuh
do you have any tips for the pen tool in illustrator?

#4 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

+rep. Going to download this. :)

#5 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

This is cool +rep

Have you ever tried inking without the simulate pressure?

Correct me if i'm wrong but the Illustrator pen tool seems much easier to use because you can cancel the restriction thing lol I don't know what it's called.

But yeah, pen tool does my head in but it's amazingly useful. Need to get practicing...

#6 esotericaKoalan

esotericaKoalan
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

Yeah, I use Illustrator too. But if you learn the Photoshop pen tool, a lot of the shortcuts and key presses are different in Illustrator, and it's pretty frustrating to get used to. And switching back and forth between the two is hard.

But drawing the actual curve is the same in Photoshop and Illustrator (Illustrator has a lot more stroke options and stuff though).

I don't really use the technique in this tutorial though (it's quite old). Instead, I do something like this:
Posted Image

The shape in the tutorial can be found here (along with a few others):
Spoiler

Some people (like me) find the second technique easier, and others like the first one more.

#7 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

Yeah, i've found it easy to switch between the two.

Yeah, but there is something different I think in Illustrator. I just tested it now, you see the bar with two points on each end in the second pic of the tutorial, you can click the mid point and it will cancel it so you can draw a straight edge. Last time I checked you couldn't do that in PS.

Edit: okay, ignore that lol I just figured out how to do it in PS, what I was talking about was when you alt + click the point. It does the same thing but in Illustrator you just have to click it.

Edited by IcedEarth, 27 April 2012 - 06:17 AM.

#8 esotericaKoalan

esotericaKoalan
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Like I said, switching between the two is annoying.

#9 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Yeah but once you put some time into finding your way around it's easy. It took me a minute to find what I was looking for. Just never really played around much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users