• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

So, for most people (online) gaming takes a back seat on life, if not even being kicked out of the car altogether.
However, for those more inclined to regularly immerse themselves in this sub-culture, I have rather a simple request for you:

'How do you connect to Xbox Live?'

As you may have guessed, I plan to join the online community soon, and am wondering in what way would be the best to do so.

In regards to the question, as much information concerning hardware, IP, etc would be nice. :)

#2 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Ethernet. Just the thought of playing with wireless latency makes me cringe.

#3 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "sub-culture". That's kind of a grandiose term for a group foul mouthed teenagers frequently getting angry at each other. =P

If you've got high speed internet, plug your xbox into an ethernet port and you're good to go. Also set you NAT setting to OPEN through your router's config page.

#4 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "sub-culture". That's kind of a grandiose term for a group foul mouthed teenagers frequently getting angry at each other. =P

Hahahahaa so true.

Its the 12 year olds that have the worst tongues.

I just use my WiFI :L
Then again, the only comps tat use the Wifi are my sister and I.

#5 Progoo3

Progoo3
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

Have you bought an Xbox yet? I recommend the ps3 though. You get to play with less kids, free connections to online games (albeit a tad slower than Xbox live)..

#6 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Ethernet. Just the thought of playing with wireless latency makes me cringe.

For me, I just prefer being able to SEE my connection, not just hope that it's working.

If you've got high speed internet, plug your xbox into an ethernet port and you're good to go. Also set you NAT setting to OPEN through your router's config page.

This includes local gaming - which is actually quite peaceful and relaxing, assuming you're on the right difficulty. Cheers for the advice.

Hahahahaa so true.

Its the 12 year olds that have the worst tongues.

Have you spoken to cronus recently? <_<

If you're a hardcore gamer, use an Ethernet cable from your Xbox to your router. If you're an everyday gamer, if WiFi is easier for you, then do this instead.

If you are using WiFi and have a good signal strength, your NAT setting should be moderate. You can change this to open by entering your network settings and configuring the connection to use a static IP. Use your normal IP set (ie start range at 10.1.1.1) to manually assign an IP that likely won't get taken by another device acessing the router (I used 10.1.1.255)

Open your router admin panel, find DMZ settings and enter the IP address you assigned manually. Click Save / OK

Run a connection test on your Xbox and you should have an open NAT type.

Latency issues, I don't really experience any and have a 3-4 green bar connection on 1.5mb ADSL on an 18 player COD:MW3 server

Cheers soul. Too much to digest right now, but thank you very much for the incredible detail. :)

Have you bought an Xbox yet? I recommend the ps3 though. You get to play with less kids, free connections to online games (albeit a tad slower than Xbox live)..

Yes I have. Praise MS!

Another note, I have no router. Will that affect things by much, or not?
I had planned to connect to the wall socket, then run any connections through a Windows 7 Home Prem. laptop (only one ethernet port, so I have a USB 2.0 to ethernet 'converter'), then put that into the back of the Xbox.
Of course, the software and configuration will be easy, I'm just concerned that the packets from the Xbox Live servers may not go through correctly. :/

#7 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Another note, I have no router. Will that affect things by much, or not?
I had planned to connect to the wall socket, then run any connections through a Windows 7 Home Prem. laptop (only one ethernet port, so I have a USB 2.0 to ethernet 'converter'), then put that into the back of the Xbox.
Of course, the software and configuration will be easy, I'm just concerned that the packets from the Xbox Live servers may not go through correctly. :/

Oi russ, that will not work at all. XBL is very particular about its connection.

I'm assuming you're planning on Coax wall to modem, ethernet modem to laptop, USB>ethernet from laptop to Xbox? Won't work. You're better off modem > Xbox. Or get a router. I picked up a DLink N-G band for $45.

#8 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Actually Travis, it will work provided the USB device shows up as a network connection in his Network Adaptors, he'll need to enable internet sharing on his ethernet port, then select both connections, right click and bridge them. If it doesn't show up as an additional network adaptor, then no... it wont work at all.

Russel, as suggested, splurge and extra $50-$100 (depending where you live) and buy a router modem (minimum 4 port ethernet + wireless n). Then you simply run the connection from the wall socket -> router modem and can then have your choice of an ethernet or wireless connection to your additional devices (XBox etc)

I've done it once before, then, at the final fucking stage, worked out that Windows 2000 restricts the XBL packets in some way (I'd assume just a case of an out-of-date OS). Completely forgot that I'd have to bridge them. :p
As I explained above, I'll only do wireless if I have to. Having 21m of ethernet and 2/3 couplers will probably help. ;) Otherwise, I'll buy a separate router.

Right, I know I'm trying your patience by now, and I'm sorry for my ignorance, but two (hopefully) final queries:

• What manufacturer should I buy the router from - I'd assume NetGear, unless anyone else has different suggestions?
  • What will the whole connection look like at the end of it?
P.S. Cheers guys. :)

#9 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I've done it once before, then, at the final fucking stage, worked out that Windows 2000 restricts the XBL packets in some way (I'd assume just a case of an out-of-date OS). Completely forgot that I'd have to bridge them. :p
As I explained above, I'll only do wireless if I have to. Having 21m of ethernet and 2/3 couplers will probably help. ;) Otherwise, I'll buy a separate router.

Right, I know I'm trying your patience by now, and I'm sorry for my ignorance, but two (hopefully) final queries:

• What manufacturer should I buy the router from - I'd assume NetGear, unless anyone else has different suggestions?

Linksys. Linksys Linksys Linksys.
A little pricier, but the quality is unmatched.
My WRT45G worked without a single problem for 8 years until I liquid damaged it.

#10 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

What do you have now?

#11 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Cheers you two! (Trav and soul) I'll do a bit of research on both. :)

What do you have now?

What do you mean by that?

#12 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

Linksys. Linksys Linksys Linksys.
A little pricier, but the quality is unmatched.
My WRT45G worked without a single problem for 8 years until I liquid damaged it.

I second this, I have a Linksys WRT120N works a treat. I don't mind the monitoring software that comes with it either.

#13 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I second this, I have a Linksys WRT120N works a treat. I don't mind the monitoring software that comes with it either.

Thanks strat. I eventually bought the same variant as Travis (I did my research), and for £25, I think I got a bargain. :D

That's it for now, but I'll probably revive this later when I actually receive all of the components & I have a new socket put in. *wink wink, nudge nudge moderators*

#14 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

The WRT series is super cheap 'cause they're so old. I have a N/G DLink right now and its a piece of shit. Cuts out all the time, reboots itself, wifi stops broadcasting, or chokes out when trying to stream any content over my network.

#15 Epidote

Epidote
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:59 AM

I use the WRT for my xbox connection and works more than fine. I never think that my connection is too slow, any lag is usually from others with bad connections somehow being hosts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users