Suspicious trading?

suspicious trading avatar lending usuki lawyerbot new user

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Aard

Aard
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

So, I have this set of the 50 Usuki items for the Lawyerbot avvie, and I'm offering to lend them for 75,000 collat. minus a 2,500 lender's fee.

I get an offer from a user here, we chat for a few days, and I agree to do the lend. He sends me his account info - woops, there is nothing by that name in neopia - then a new account info that is only 2 days old, no pets, no avvies, nothing. This makes me nervous, so I check his neocodex account, look for trader scores, which I hadn't before, because I had a good system set up for collat - I put the items on the trading post, he bids 15000 for each lot of 10, ect. ect. So I check, and he joined the day I offered the trade, and made one one word post.

I shut that one down real fast. I felt concerned that he might be a Neopets employee looking for users here. Any input? Should I have gone for it?

#2 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Yes because TNT totally has the time to come catch people who have lender fees.

And this 2.5k will obviously influence the whole Neopets economy so drastically.

Edited by Junsu, 08 May 2012 - 05:50 AM.

#3 lackofaith

lackofaith
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

Better safe than sorry, mate.

#4 Hush

Hush
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

Better safe than sorry, mate.

#5 Aard

Aard
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

I meant catch because I'm on a cheating sight, not because I have a lender fee. Is that even against the rules? Its payment for services rendered, and there is an item exchange...

#6 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

I highly doubt it has anything to do with TNT. Just go by the users reputation on here if its a brand new neopets account. Have they been here a while, any trade feedback, rep etc etc.
Just use your gut instinct :)

#7 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

1. If they cared they'd catch all of us by now, its not that hard :<
2. You'd be frozen by now if it really was to catch you.
3. TNT has a lot better things to do
4. Yes lender fees are against the rules LOL

Though you should stop trading with new users :<

Edited by Junsu, 08 May 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#8 Hush

Hush
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

I meant catch because I'm on a cheating sight, not because I have a lender fee. Is that even against the rules? Its payment for services rendered, and there is an item exchange...

I am quite sure it is against the rules, but I don't think TNT has time to catch you this way.

#9 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

Charging for lends is against Neo rules, but I don't think they care enough to go through the trouble to do what this person has done to catch people. If you want staff to look into it just use the report feature on their profile or the PM between you and describe the situation in your report.

#10 Aard

Aard
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

Yeah, I'm probably just paranoid. Oh well~

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

Keep in mind there is a difference between charging lender fees, and using collateral.

#12 Cythose

Cythose
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user!

• 79 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Why would you risk getting banned for 2.5k? You can play a game 3 times and make that money in less time than it takes you to convice a person to pay you... :kirby:

There's no way that person would be a TnT employee, they are far too lazy for something like that ;C

Edited by Winkey, 08 May 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#13 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

I post my account all the time on status updates. You can have it right now, instabanforname. TnT would catch most of us pretty quickly if they tried.

#14 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

I post my account all the time on status updates. You can have it right now, instabanforname. TnT would catch most of us pretty quickly if they tried.

You know, if this was the AC, you would've been reported instantly. Kind of annoying how much of the bastard teenagers there kiss ass. :(

(Then again, I'm a teenager and I can be a bastard sometimes. :p )

#15 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

(Then again, I'm a teenager and I can be a bastard sometimes. :p )

You also kiss ass

#16 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

You also kiss ass

Zing!

Also yep I think you're being a little paranoid O_o Although it might seem otherwise I'm sure TNT do sometimes do constructive things with their time :p

#17 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

Oh I thought you were talking about the massive amount of noob accounts offering crap on your lots. I have had them during all day yesterday and all of them have a green xweetok with a random name, like 4n394mzx. I put on my wishlist 200k and they offer 200np at first I thought it was a noob user that doesn't get what k mean. But then they started spamming and I have blocked 3 of them so far... I was wondering if someone else has this.

Regarding your question, I think they already answered it, but for me it's kinda weird that this dude wants to get lent on an account he created after talking to you about the usukis. But well...

#18 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

It most likely was a scam attempt, but it's a pretty wild leap to think it's TNT running a sting. Occam's razor, man; the simplest answer is often the right one.

#19 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

You also kiss ass

Well, it would depend on the physical aspects of the ass involved, as opposed to the position it held for me.

For example, on one side, you have the smooth, luscious, easily-kissed ass of someone that I will not reveal (I got you covered Noit :) ), whereas on the other you have the rough, hairy, dingleberry-infested ass of TNT.
No prizes for guessing which one I would rather do. ;)

#20 Iterative

Iterative
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Those sorts of split lends are always risky IMO, especially if the items are of unequal worth. I don't think TNT has the time to go through that much effort trying to entrap you, but it's more likely someone who was planning to scam you. Maybe by only offering on the more expensive lots (>15k) and then leaving you with lots that are not worth the 15k. I have no idea what the Usukis are actually worth though, since I got my lend for free.

#21 Nicotine

Nicotine
  • 33 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

Eh, maybe. I haven't ever given out any identifying ANYTHING on this site for that reason and I find it kind of amusing that everyone is saying "oh TNT doesn't have time to be on this website" right now when on half of the other threads, it's the exact opposite.

#22 Aard

Aard
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, that's kinda what got me worried in the first place. You always hear about how tnt tries to take down NC users, but then when something really suspicious happens... No worries, mate. S'cool.

#23 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

So, I have this set of the 50 Usuki items for the Lawyerbot avvie, and I'm offering to lend them for 75,000 collat. minus a 2,500 lender's fee.

minus a 2,500 lender's fee.

2,500 lender's fee.

saving up for a new beamer with that 2.5k ?

#24 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

saving up for a new beamer with that 2.5k ?

It's a start.

#25 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

It's a start.

omfg that was hilarious

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspicious, trading, avatar, lending, usuki, lawyerbot, new user

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users