Psychological Religious Thriller

psychology religion you

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Maei

Maei
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

There were many points in my life where I went back and forth wondering if God or Jesus existed or not. Yes, religion. It's a touchy subject, I know, but these is merely an opinion in search of others similar, different, or unknown as well. It's still a ponder.

Basically I was baptized, brought up Christian, then Catholic, then Christian again. Christian a couple more times and then Agnostic. Brought up referring to going to church and being taught from the Bible. As life happened and many situations seemed to unravel, as well as my thoughts, sensations and perspective changing- religion no longer became a part of me or my life. It was being an Athiest.

But ever since I found religion to be such a touchy subject, and the various views and perspectives given or taken from it- I rock from my own variations of beliefs. There were points where I completely believed in God and in Jesus, with only my belief put into the whole thing, my feelings. Then where I only believed in facts, methods, matter, such as Science. Then there was this, only recently, putting both belief in a higher being or spiritual matter, but including Sciences into perspective. Then you look at both of these, such as the morals and humanity within stories of the Bible, and the Science of nature and everything alive on this earth and how things work; and there's a whole bunch of things colliding in the middle.

Personally, now, I believe that the Bible has morals in which we as human beings should live by naturally to live a well off life. Even if you haven't read the Bible in your entire life, or never even set eyes on one, but you do live by it, you don't need a religion. Religion is a group that gathers together in mind of the same belief as a whole, with their own interpretations of the Bible. The highest gratitude and satisfaction in a belief is that it is your own, and something only you need to believe in or understand. Even if it means there are things you don't agree to and omit them, as long as you are satisfied with what you believe in then there is no wrong and there is no need for a label under religion. Where as the Sciences are simple, they're the factual ideas and formulas or methods to help us understand the physical matters, the chemical and biological setting our life takes place in. It's our way of understanding the physical aspect of our life. So you have spiritual and you have physical, both things that have the potential of enlightening someone entirely.

There was a point where I believed that Religion is only a psychological coping method for the hardships in life, for creating a family, for something to give you answers and to rely on. Somewhere that says "come here, you belong with us" or "be with us, it could save your after life." But it was like they were brainwashing, enticing, scaring you into joining a Religion. Not a belief, because really the belief should be your own.

Then there was a point where, every night I would pray. Pray to a God whom I didn't even know existed, and I was aware of this, since I also mentioned it to my said God. I prayed to wake up early for days that required me to and were of importance. I did. Only on the days I prayed though. So then I thought that hey, there's something to this, praying, God, and believing. Especially within myself.

Recently did I receive this sort of comic book from someone who I thought was a Jehovah's Witness. I was apparently wrong. It suggested I read the Bible, and live by it. That I didn't need to join a Religion. And it also addressed that, "wouldn't this be a religion as well?" It's not. I found it was simply saying "read this, maybe if you understand the messages, you can be enlightened and life will be just fine."

There's not just the Bible, I know that much. There's the Koran, and plenty other religious scriptures and teachings. Essentially they have the same morals, the same ideas of being. The only reason for any other depreciation would be the masochistic, egotistical, sexist and cultural pride that many regions and countries endured and carried on for centuries in time.

So tell me, what was your religious journey? What are your beliefs? Talk to me.

With all respects because it is your key to your enlightenment.

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

My religious journey was "Yay, angels. Wait, this is obviously bullshit."

#3 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

My religious journey was "Yay, angels. Wait, this is obviously bullshit."

Replace with "No sex before marriage? Fuck that" and you have mine.

#4 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

tl;dr

For me, in short:
God, and everything relating to him, is real. The Bible is completely non-fiction.
*a few years later*
What the fuck - no-one can walk on bloody water! Then I realised: "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

However, if you really care:
Spoiler

Those are/were/will be my beliefs. For now anyway. :p

Edited by Russell, 16 May 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#5 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Catholics aren't Christians?

#6 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

It sounds like you would appreciate Unitarian Universalism (you seem to respect/acknowledge the teachings of various religious texts without necessarily believing in a personal god or specific doctrines).

#7 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Argument in favour of Christianity:

#8 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Catholics aren't Christians?

I think that depends on what branch of Christianity you belong to. Some Christians believe Catholics are Christians, some don't.

#9 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

I think that depends on what branch of Christianity you belong to. Some Christians believe Catholics are Christians, some don't.

I have met a lot of people who don't understand the difference between 'denomination' and 'religion.' I think that the only people who would not consider Catholics as Christian don't understand these classifications. Of course, there are people that believe that theirs is the only true form of Christianity and everyone else is a heretic (funny since the Catholics had a good hold on that line of thought for a while).

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

Of course, there are people that believe that theirs is the only true form of Christianity and everyone else is a heretic (funny since the Catholics had a good hold on that line of thought for a while).

This is more like what I was referring to.

Edited by Napiform, 16 May 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#11 Zaxero

Zaxero
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

I personally believe that life just took on the personality of the universe ever growing and ever expanding.

#12 yeah

yeah
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

My mom is Christian and my dad is Catholic, so you could say I was raised in such-and-such households, but I'd tick the 'undecided' box on a survey.
Personally I don't doubt the existence of some sort of god or higher power, it's just the details I'm wary of. Creationism and all those are big no-nos for me.

#13 Metigue

Metigue
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

No one is going to read this so I don't know why I'm bothering.

I'm a Chaognostic. I call myself this because of the essential "Chaos" of the belief within me,
I would like God to exist and Feel that a deity does exist
I don't think a God exists and am quite anti-religion

The things that annoy me the most about religion are:

1. Its irrelevant connection with morality.
I absolutely despise how people act with morals only because they are religious, or how people associate religion with morality, this is probably because I've experienced first-hand the problems that religion causes. And the very idea is stupid, naturallly people should behave in this way. The word "Athiest" these days has connetations of bad morals and this is entirely wrong. What makes people who take something on faith a better person than anyone else?

2. Its Imposition.
In the UK the house of lords has 26 seats reserved for Bishops, Why does the church have this much sway over the decisions of government purely because a census revealed the majority of the UK were Christians. Religion should remain a personal belief and not be imposed onto others that do not share your belief, no matter how small that number.

3. Its Segregation.
Religion has caused more wars and problems with life than any other entity that I know of, by naming beliefs and giving set doctrines to any faction of people you are opening the door to discrimination and prejudice. In the UK we have state funded schools that are open to Christians only, how is this any more fair than when we had schools open for white people only? Unfortunately these schools are often the best, I went to one of these schools and most of the people there just claimed to be Christian to get in.

I want to finish by saying that if you are religious, I don't hate you, infact I let people's beliefs in no way sway my opinion of them. Unlike most religious people(See what I did there? ;) ) But I do have a problem with the way religion is treated currently.

Edited by Metigue, 04 June 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#14 yeah

yeah
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'm a Chaognostic. I call myself this because of the essential "Chaos" of the belief within me,

Amen.
Posted Image

#15 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

2. Its Imposition.
In the UK the house of lords has 26 seats reserved for Bishops, Why does the church have this much sway over the decisions of government purely because a census revealed the majority of the UK were Christians. Religion should remain a personal belief and not be imposed onto others that do not share your belief, no matter how small that number.

3. Its Segregation.
In the UK we have state funded schools that are open to Christians only, how is this any more fair than when we had schools open for white people only? Unfortunately these schools are often the best, I went to one of these schools and most of the people there just claimed to be Christian to get in.

There are only 25 Lord Spirtuals in the House of Lords which has around 790 members. Their political influence is little, if any, and the main reason for them being part of HOL is due to the Church Of England's role as State religion and it's past influence and power. They also represent their followers within the committee.

Bare in mind the HOL is just another part of the legal system, most legislation and important political matters go through the House of Commons first, then to the HOL. I don't think religion plays a huge part in UK politics and it's wrong to think so.

You also mention "faith" schools but make the assumption that only people of a particular faith can attend, which is wrong. Anyone can apply and be accepted, but these schools do make priorities for those of a particular faith. If it does not fill it's quota of applications, it must use those of non-faith or other religions to adhere to law.

There are also many muslim, jewish, sikh and hindu faith schools around the country as well as other religions. To make the assumption that religion causes segregation because of this, I point you to all girls/boys schools - http://en.wikipedia....e-sex_education

#16 Metigue

Metigue
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

There are only 25 Lord Spirtuals in the House of Lords which has around 790 members. Their political influence is little, if any, and the main reason for them being part of HOL is due to the Church Of England's role as State religion and it's past influence and power. They also represent their followers within the committee.

Bare in mind the HOL is just another part of the legal system, most legislation and important political matters go through the House of Commons first, then to the HOL. I don't think religion plays a huge part in UK politics and it's wrong to think so.

You also mention "faith" schools but make the assumption that only people of a particular faith can attend, which is wrong. Anyone can apply and be accepted, but these schools do make priorities for those of a particular faith. If it does not fill it's quota of applications, it must use those of non-faith or other religions to adhere to law.

There are also many muslim, jewish, sikh and hindu faith schools around the country as well as other religions. To make the assumption that religion causes segregation because of this, I point you to all girls/boys schools - http://en.wikipedia....e-sex_education

Just because all religions have forms of segregation doesn't make it better; It's like saying having all white schools is okay because there are also all black schools. I don't like the idea that people are categorized by denominations that all pretty much are saying the same thing. On top of this, try going to one of these schools as a professed atheist, It is near impossible, My old school had 10 places available for non-regular church goers. A token at best.

The political influence of the Bishops in the HOL is irrelevant, as their positions are still a bias for their religion. And you claim the fact that the reason for these positions is heritage alleviates the fact that the positions are a prejudice, when it in fact only makes it worse. Why should a political infastructure that is supposed to be in line with our current countries views have positions that are based on old fashion?

The point I'm trying to make is that people care about other people's beliefs. And that to me, is fundamentally wrong.

Edited by Metigue, 07 June 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#17 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:09 AM

Just because all religions have forms of segregation doesn't make it better; It's like saying having all white schools is okay because there are also all black schools. I don't like the idea that people are categorized by denominations that all pretty much are saying the same thing. On top of this, try going to one of these schools as a professed atheist, It is near impossible, My old school had 10 places available for non-regular church goers. A token at best.

The political influence of the Bishops in the HOL is irrelevant, as their positions are still a bias for their religion. And you claim the fact that the reason for these positions is heritage alleviates the fact that the positions are a prejudice, when it in fact only makes it worse. Why should a political infastructure that is supposed to be in line with our current countries views have positions that are based on old fashion?

The point I'm trying to make is that people care about other people's beliefs. And that to me, is fundamentally wrong.

Did you actually read the post? What about single sex education then?

Also, the entire HOL is based on a peerage system where old members of the HOC are vetoed in by their colleagues. If you have a problem with the Lord's Spiritual, you have a problem with the entire British Judicial system.

#18 user9021

user9021
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:10 AM

I believe in a form of god, but I do not take everything I read in an old book for fact. Each bible teaches good morale values, don't get me wrong, but as far as believing it word from word...that's not me.
If history teaches us anything, people will do anything for power (corruption, aka.) I believe that the bibles, under any topic, has been distorted several times, one way or the other. "Take this out, it talks about something we're not trying to promote," says the "King." If anything, that is why most of the churches, in many religions, broke into denominations. One small disagreement, and they broke up into different denominations. All religions are technically the same, you will see that when you search for them.

Also, to clarify: Christianity is the belief that Jesus Christ was the prophet, more importantly son, of god. Islam is the belief that Muhammed was the prophet of god, not Jesus Christ. If you're Catholic or Baptist, or any other "denomination of Christianity," you are a Christian (yes some denominations of Christianity believe that they are not "denominations," but they are. They say this to boost the idea that they are spiritually righteous in their belief.) If you believe in Islam, whether Sunni or Shiite, you are Muslim. Jews do not believe that Jesus Christ was the prophet of god...I can stop here. Can you see the resemblence amongst all religions? The only difference between religions is if you believe in: god, reincarnation/karma, or nothing. If you believe in god, all religions you will find will dispute who their prophet was, and what really happened in the bible itself...hence, why I'm a religious man who doesn't believe that going to church on Sunday to repent will save you a spot in the "heaven" we so differently relate. I believe strongly in karma and reincarnation, but also with the belief that there is a god who tests our will everyday.
PS: You can't be a Satanist without believing in god...

Edited by Whopper, 09 June 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

Islam is the belief that Muhammed was the prophet of god, not Jesus Christ.

No, it isn't.

#20 imcominatcha

imcominatcha
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Whatever the case, whether you believe in an afterlife or not, I really do hope God proves to be as merciful as the Christian religion portrays him in the New Testament. If he could change his 'personality' (for lack of a better term) from the Old to the New, what's to say he won't just revert back to the scorched-earth policy and decimate us all for our worldly evils? I used to be a devout church-goer, but church politics and conflicting messages have kept me away for quite some time now. Yes, I do believe a God exists, but I don't think we'll ever understand the big picture, so honestly? Best to just pick a religion that coincides with your lifestyle/moral views and hope it proves to be your ticket to heaven.

And no matter what, NEVER hate on other religions. Well, not unless they worship the devil that is haha.

#21 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

And no matter what, NEVER hate on other religions. Well, not unless they worship the devil that is haha.

And what is wrong with worshiping Lucifer? He's an angel, you know.

#22 imcominatcha

imcominatcha
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:21 AM

Why don't you create a topic on this and see what people say? They'd likely give a more comprehensive cost-benefit analysis than I could ;)

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

Why don't you create a topic on this and see what people say? They'd likely give a more comprehensive cost-benefit analysis than I could ;)

I don't think they would.

#24 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

I'm not sure the Devil is the same as Lucifer...

I am pretty sure there are 3. The "Anti Trinity" I believe its called. Instead of the "Father, Son, and Spirit" you got "Satan, Lucifer, and the Devil"

But there is still confusion as the whole trinity thing is interpreted as being 3 different people but only 1 "being" or "consciousness" and applies to both the holy and unholy trinity.

Edited by Leaf, 06 July 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#25 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'm not sure the Devil is the same as Lucifer...

I am pretty sure there are 3. The "Anti Trinity" I believe its called. Instead of the "Father, Son, and Spirit" you got "Satan, Lucifer, and the Devil"

But there is still confusion as the whole trinity thing is interpreted as being 3 different people but only 1 "being" or "consciousness" and applies to both the holy and unholy trinity.

The Devil is Lucifer the fallen angel, also known as Satan.

The key point to take note of here is that Lucifer is referred to as The Devil and not a devil. That would change it but that still wouldn't make you correct in what you're saying.

SOURCE

Satan (Hebrew: הַשָּׂטָן ha-Satan), "the opposer",[1] is the title of various entities, both human and divine, who challenge the faith of humans in the Hebrew Bible.[2] In Christianity the title became a personal name, and "Satan" changed from an accuser appointed by God to test men's faith to the chief of the rebellious fallen angels ("the devil" in Christianity, "Shaitan" in Arabic, the term used by Arab Christians and Muslims).[3] In Islam, a shayṭān is any evil creature, whether human, animal or spirit. With the definite article, the Shayṭān is Iblis, the Devil.

Edited by Yung, 06 July 2012 - 10:29 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psychology, religion, you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users