• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

I've just finished reading this book, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. You might have heard of it; it has gotten some great reviews. The book outlines genetic evidence of introversion or extroversion, citing many studies performed on the subject. It offers a history of a great cultural shift in western society from revering the calm, reserved individual possessing hidden strength to revering the outgoing, energetic personality that is the life of the party. The book speaks to the hidden talents that many introverts have and gives examples of how some of these talents have been used in real life to solve very hairy situations. Furhter, the book offers advice to couples, managers, etc regarding introverts and calls many introverts out for being introverted only in secret.

Many of you are probably introverts. I know I am :p. Reading this book felt a little bit like a circlejerk, but I thought it was a good read nonetheless. It can get a bit dry through the middle, but it presents some interesting ideas.

Have you read this book? What books do you recommend reading? I'm currently reading The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain.

Discuss

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0739341243

#2 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

My honeypie is severely introverted. He's always seemed strange to me, because I grew up in a household of people constantly yelling, laughing, and talking non-stop. Perhaps I should read it to get a glimpse into the mindframes of people aren't loud mouthed jackasses.

I'm currently reading "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" which isn't amazing. I have a list of the top 100 classic fiction books and made it through "The Three Musketeers", "The Call of the Wild", "The Jungle Book", and "Bartleby the Scrivener" before I got distracted by the new Anne Rice and got in the mood for vampires and stupid shit like that. :(

Do you typically read on an e-reader? I always swore against them... until I got one and realized how neat it is to carry all your books with you wherever you go.

#3 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

I think I'm severely introverted, or maybe just really socially awkward. Either way, I talk less and share less when I'm among a crowd of people that I don't really know that well, and even among close friends, I am very closed when it comes to sharing ideas and experiences.
Some really good books I've read before:
The Count of Monte Cristo
Les Miserables - I read the English unabridged edition, this is probably the most amazing novel I have ever read :o
The Man in the Iron Mask - I can't remember what goes on in it because I read such a long time ago, but I remember it was really good
Needless to say: Harry Potter, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy

I usually read on my iPod, eReaders seem too large to carry around compared to the iPod. I've never used a eReader before though, is there anything that is an advantage over reading from a iPod when reading from a eReader?

Edited by Nonexistent, 18 May 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#4 Sasha

Sasha
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

and calls many introverts out for being introverted only in secret.

I've heard about it, sounds like a good read. I know lots of people who keep trying to hide their introversion, including myself. In my case, it had to be done because I worked as a teacher for 1 year (will never happen again, but at the time I had no choice).

Right now I'm reading The Book of Dave by Will Self. I love it. It's a mixture between the tragicomic story of a modern-day London taxi driver and a dystopia about a future generation that lives by a "scripture" written by the same taxi driver.

#5 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Do you typically read on an e-reader? I always swore against them... until I got one and realized how neat it is to carry all your books with you wherever you go.

They're just so convenient, you can carry an entire library with you and it never gains any weight. To me this is the best appeal to an e-reader, otherwise you'd see me lugging books everywhere I went. Another good thing about e-readers is that you don't end up with multiple copies of the same book. I have 3 copies of Brisingr not because I need three but because I said I wanted it and then went and bought it, came home and found two copies on my steps.

#6 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Yes, I only started reading regularly after I bought a kindle. I don't like to hold a book in my hands. There's something about the paper against my fingertips that just makes me have a chill run down my spine. It's weird, I know :p. But I'm really particular about what I touch and I am very hesitant to touch things which have a weird texture :p.

With a real book, you can tell how far you are through the story based on how many pages there are left. I start to guess when the climax should be approaching and stuff. That ruins the story, but I can't help it :(. I like being able to turn off the progress meter in e-readers.

Well now, I've just let out way too much about myself :p.

The Count of Monte Cristo

That's next for me :p. I've recently been on a Mark Twain stint. Before the introvert book, I re-read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I had read them in high school, but found them to be incredibly boring back then. Now, I'm wondering whether I had read the same books :p.

I've heard about it, sounds like a good read. I know lots of people who keep trying to hide their introversion, including myself. In my case, it had to be done because I worked as a teacher for 1 year (will never happen again, but at the time I had no choice).

Almost every introvert has to at some point in their lives. After a while, you start noticing that there are certain qualities and traits that get people noticed and if you want to get somewhere in life, you have to adapt to those traits. A good portion of the book is spent covering this point and why society doing so may have it miss a very powerful force sitting on the sidelines. But again, possible circlejerk.

#7 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:55 AM

"Possible circlejerk"

Hehe that made me laugh. I definitely will give this book a look (after the game of thrones series ha, they've claimed all my free time) because I am actually quite introverted, but only when I want to be. For example in the school common room I'll either be hanging around, messing about with my mates or I'll be sat in a corner reading my book sending 'go away' vibes to everyone else.

I find for the most part my friends are either one or the other pretty consistently (:

#8 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

They're just so convenient, you can carry an entire library with you and it never gains any weight. To me this is the best appeal to an e-reader, otherwise you'd see me lugging books everywhere I went. Another good thing about e-readers is that you don't end up with multiple copies of the same book. I have 3 copies of Brisingr not because I need three but because I said I wanted it and then went and bought it, came home and found two copies on my steps.

Oh goodness, this is such a problem for me. I have hundreds of books, and I have moved houses so many times that they are always out of order. I have at least three copies of book 6 of the Wheel of Time series, two complete LOTR sets and duplicates of many of the Sword of Truth novels (and I am sure many more duplicates that I'm just not aware of). What's funny is that when I got my iPad and decided to try out using it an an eBook reader, the only books I bought were ones that I already had hard copies of. Needless to say I have read a few more actual books than I have eBooks since I decided to try out digital book reading.

Right now I am taking a break before the last Sookie Stackhouse book to read Smart Soapmaking.

Do any of you use Goodreads?

#9 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

Do any of you use Goodreads?

I do :D I really like it although it pisses me off that some books get waaay undeservedly high ratings :/ Like twilight, it's fine and dandy if you like it but you can't claim it has much (or any) substance or quality writing. Well I guess you could but I'd have to disagree with you.

Also Nymh are the Sookie Stackhouse books good? I watched like the first season of True Blood and really enjoyed it and contemplated getting the books.

#10 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

Yes, I only started reading regularly after I bought a kindle. I don't like to hold a book in my hands. There's something about the paper against my fingertips that just makes me have a chill run down my spine. It's weird, I know :p. But I'm really particular about what I touch and I am very hesitant to touch things which have a weird texture :p.

With a real book, you can tell how far you are through the story based on how many pages there are left. I start to guess when the climax should be approaching and stuff. That ruins the story, but I can't help it :(. I like being able to turn off the progress meter in e-readers.

Well now, I've just let out way too much about myself :p..

You have danced around two of the many reasons that I love reading paper books.
  • I love to smell things, books especially. I love to inhale the scent of books and paper. I try do this discreetly but people have caught me doing it and it's a little embarrassing to tell them that I love to smell things. You can't smell an eBook.
  • One of the exciting things about reading a book is looking to the side and finding out that I only have like 50 pages left. Then 40... then 30... then I read faster and faster to get to the end, and I can't put the book down until I am done. The cold ticker bar at the bottom telling me "Page 127 of 659" is just not as exciting.

I do :D I really like it although it pisses me off that some books get waaay undeservedly high ratings :/ Like twilight, it's fine and dandy if you like it but you can't claim it has much (or any) substance or quality writing. Well I guess you could but I'd have to disagree with you.

Also Nymh are the Sookie Stackhouse books good? I watched like the first season of True Blood and really enjoyed it and contemplated getting the books.

I agree, I try to rate things realistically, most of my ratings are 3's because while I like most of the books that I read, I don't always loooooooove them :p

The Sookie books are refreshing for me, because I usually read epic fantasy series. There is no thinking required in this series, you just read. There's plenty of sex and violence, and they are very easy and quick reads. But they are interesting, and if you have watched the series it's fun to see how the books are different I think. I actually delayed getting them for a couple years because I thought the writing style would make them unbearable for me (they're in first-person) but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I am also a little afraid to admit that I have learned some lessons from Sookie about how to cook, pamper myself, swallow my silly fears, and be a more socially aware person (she is constantly telling you the manners and ethics behind her actions and those of other people). And I probably just went into way too much detail about these books, oh well :blush:

#11 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

I agree, I try to rate things realistically, most of my ratings are 3's because while I like most of the books that I read, I don't always loooooooove them :p

The Sookie books are refreshing for me, because I usually read epic fantasy series. There is no thinking required in this series, you just read. There's plenty of sex and violence, and they are very easy and quick reads. But they are interesting, and if you have watched the series it's fun to see how the books are different I think. I actually delayed getting them for a couple years because I thought the writing style would make them unbearable for me (they're in first-person) but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I am also a little afraid to admit that I have learned some lessons from Sookie about how to cook, pamper myself, swallow my silly fears, and be a more socially aware person (she is constantly telling you the manners and ethics behind her actions and those of other people). And I probably just went into way too much detail about these books, oh well :blush:

Yep, I think only about three or four of my books get a 4 star and even fewer the elusive five star :D

You shouldn't be afraid to admit that! I love Sookie's character from the series (well, what I've seen so far) and think it's cute that you said you learned from her. I could probably do with some lessons like that ^_^

Edit: Wow looking back on my ratings quite a lot are higher than three hehe. Guess I liked those books more than I thought I did.

I will probably ask for these for my birthday in a few months because I'll need something nice and readable for the summer :)

Edited by trizzle, 19 May 2012 - 06:34 AM.

#12 gooser

gooser
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

I`ve been looking for a new book to read. Seems like my kind of topic :p. I just hope my library has it....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users