Quantcast

Photo

Display names

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Are display names and login names confusing?

Are display names and login names confusing?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would it be better if we had just one username, the login name?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would you be okay with asking a staff member for a change of name everytime you needed it?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

Display names allow you to change your username that is displayed on the forums to whatever you wish. However, when you do so, your login name remains unchanged. The next time you login, you still have to use the original username that you signed up with. This means you have one name that you login with and another that you see on the forums when you post. I think this is really confusing.

I'm trying to get a feel on whether other people feel the same way. Do you find the display name vs login name issue to be confusing? Would it be better if we had just one username that you logged in with and that you posted with? Would you be okay if there was no automated way to change your login name (I'm looking)?

Answer my poll :p.

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

I think a change to having one name serving as a user and login name would be ideal. I can't really see sense in having two different names serving two different functions. I also can't see anyone opposing this idea either. :)

#3 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

This would certainly help with any issues that some people have of forgetting their login names when trying to use their display names. It would save us having to look up their details and changing them from the back end.

Honestly, I have no issues with it as i use the same display name as my login ;) So I think this idea makes sense.

#4 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

I think that one name would definitely be better than two - less confusing, simpler, etc.
However, if you couldn't change your login name, I would say the current system is better. While confusing, it allows a lot more freedom to the end-user. Plus, I don't want to be 'RJAP' - I want to be Russ(ell), at least. :p

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

Yes, it's bad enough when people change their avatars and I can't recognize them anymore, it's worse when I have to look on their profile for their old name.

:p

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

To be honest it only comes up like once per month so I doubt it's much of an issue.

#7 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:50 AM

When I changed my username I was informed that my login would be the same. You just have to remember so that doesn't really bother me, besides I have my login info saved so I just press login. Voted no, it's not confusing.

I don't really mind about having one user name but if it makes it easier for people then yeah that is good, so I voted yes.

I don't mind having to ask staff for a user name change, voted yes.

#8 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

I don't have problems with the current system, my login details are saved. :)

#9 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

I haven't even been able to change my display name, whenever i try it says my password is incorrect, yet i've logged out and logged back in using the same password :/

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

Not that I have any intention of changing my name, but...

I would prefer leaving it the way it is. I have a perpetual fear of changing my user name when I'm drunk and not remembering what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users