Quantcast

Smoking VS Vaping

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

So recently .. yesterday actually I went from smoking cigarettes to vaping using an e-cigarette.
If you don't know what an e-cigarette is, it's supposed to be a healthier alternative to smoking, using an electronic cigarette. It may or may not be safe for you, but it is safer than average cigarettes.

Here is a video of a woman explaining vaping:

Check it out, and then respond telling me if you would rather smoke an e-cigarette or a regular cigarette. If you like the idea of the e-cigarette would you use it in public? Around children? Why or why not?

#2 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

I'd rather smoke cigarettes. I mean, if you're going to smoke, then SMOKE. I wouldn't use it in public or around children. Not in public for mainly aesthetic reasons. I'd feel weird pulling out an e-cigarette around other people. It's not natural. I wouldn't do it around children because it's still a nasty habit and I don't want them to look at me and think it's the thing to do.

#3 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

It's not natural.

And inhaling burning carcinogens from a flaming tube of paper is?

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

And inhaling burning carcinogens from a flaming tube of paper is?

More so than sucking chemical air from a tube of plastic.

Unless, of course, your smokes have filters.

#5 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • šŸ± šŸ’– šŸ„

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

I was so excited, and then it turned out this thread was about cigarettes. :(

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

More so than sucking chemical air from a tube of plastic.

Unless, of course, your smokes have filters.

"Chemical air" is a bit of a daft thing to say, considering that all air is is chemicals.

And flitered cigarettes don't really achieve all that much. They're still cancer-filled tubes of tobacco-flavoured death.

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

"Chemical air" is a bit of a daft thing to say, considering that all air is is chemicals.

And flitered cigarettes don't really achieve all that much. They're still cancer-filled tubes of tobacco-flavoured death.

Yeah, you're right.

(your cigarettes flitter? How fun.)

I'm not saying they aren't. The filter makes it so they aren't as biodegradable, because they're made from cellulose acetate. Cellulose acetate is what makes it 'less natural'

#8 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Definitely looks... interesting.
As a non (tobacco) smoker, I wouldn't be using it, but it looks like a good concept.
However, I can see, as Napiform stated, that people wouldn't like to adopt it, simply because they'd be out of their comfort zone, it's not 'hardcore' enough, etc.
Assuming, that is, I fully understand it which I think I do.

As for you Sweeney, do you really think that cigarettes are that bad, in the bigger picture of things?

I was so excited, and then it turned out this thread was about cigarettes. :(

I know; I share your disappointment.

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

I have to agree with Sweeney.
I mean you can't really claim it's not natural after saying you prefer regular cigarettes which contain 4000+ deadly chemicals.
Although e-cigs are not necessarily safe because they contain nicotine, they are at least 4000+ times safer than regular cigarettes.
I do however agree that vaping around children may not be the best idea, simply because it LOOKS the same as a regular cigarette and they may think it's okay. I wouldn't recommend vaping to a non-smoker. Only to someone who is looking for a healthier alternative to smoking.

#10 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

I'm not saying they aren't. The filter makes it so they aren't as biodegradable, because they're made from cellulose acetate. Cellulose acetate is what makes it 'less natural'

Oh, sorry. I misread your point.

As for you Sweeney, do you really think that cigarettes are that bad, in the bigger picture of things?

As compared to what? Genocide? Child rape? Alchohol? Marijuana?

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Yeah, I'll agree that there are less chemicals.

I originally meant 'less natural' like people are used to smoking a certain way, not the ingredient content.
I used to smoke. I almost went with e-cigarettes, but I couldn't do it. They tasted different, smell different, had a different weight in my hand... it wasn't natural. I just straight quit.

#12 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

As compared to what? Genocide? Child rape? Alchohol? Marijuana?

As compared to that, but that's not really what I had in mind. Lay me down what you think of that anyway; I'm interested now. :)
What I had intended to go for was the positive boons that cigarettes have on life, if you step back from the anti-smoking propaganda (a bit strong of a word, but I can't think of what else to use). Do you know what I mean now?

Then again, I do have rather a warped view on smoking, so that could differ from most people's opinions. If you really want to know (it's a lot to digest), I'll say, but otherwise, I'll leave it.

#13 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Yeah, I'll agree that there are less chemicals.

I originally meant 'less natural' like people are used to smoking a certain way, not the ingredient content.
I used to smoke. I almost went with e-cigarettes, but I couldn't do it. They tasted different, smell different, had a different weight in my hand... it wasn't natural. I just straight quit.

Ohh yes you are definitely right about that. It does feel, and taste very different.. the different smell doesn't bother me, I've smoked cigarettes for 6 years and never liked the smell. The feeling is bothering me the most.. It's much heavier, and the cigarettes I smoke have filters.. and the e-cig is hard as a rock as opposed to a soft filter between your lips.. it's a major adjustment. But so far I've been able to use it anyway.

#14 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

My parents and grandparents and elder brother all smoke and it's kind of put me off it actually. I've only smoked two times and they were both while drunk and suggestible.

But personally I think if you're going to do it, you might as well go for the real deal. From what I've seen this e-cig doesn't seem like a much better alternative. Also I've found that with real fags it seems to be a social thing too. Like at the pub in the summer all the smokers will go and chat and laugh together in the smoking area, and at school all the smokers will go down the alley together.

#15 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

As compared to that, but that's not really what I had in mind. Lay me down what you think of that anyway; I'm interested now. :)
What I had intended to go for was the positive boons that cigarettes have on life, if you step back from the anti-smoking propaganda (a bit strong of a word, but I can't think of what else to use). Do you know what I mean now?

Then again, I do have rather a warped view on smoking, so that could differ from most people's opinions. If you really want to know (it's a lot to digest), I'll say, but otherwise, I'll leave it.

Name one socially positive effect of smoking cigarettes.

#16 Information

Information
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

It is funny seeing people justify themselves smoking tobacco and all things related.

#17 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Name one socially positive effect of smoking cigarettes.

They make you look cool, I thought everyone knew that.

#18 Information

Information
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

They make you look cool, I thought everyone knew that.

When I see people smoking, I think they should be cut from all health benefits that are provided to them and they should wear a dunce hat. In short they don't have my respect.

#19 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

It is funny seeing people justify themselves smoking tobacco and all things related.

There is absolutely no tobacco in e-cigarettes.

#20 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

I personally don't like E-Cigs due to taste and the fact that they make me cough harshly, might be because I smoke menthol cigarettes so I've tried the menthol E-Cigs. The flavor tastes awful with the menthol E-Cigs and I don't feel as though I've smoked (despite the nicotine), the coughing that ensues after not even taking half of a drag is crippling to me.

So personally, despite the added health risks, I prefer the actual menthol cigarettes. I smoke primarily Kool's and Newport's.

#21 Information

Information
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

There is absolutely no tobacco in e-cigarettes.

Ah I'm sorry I was regarding a post of Bone's. Asking to name a socially positive effect of smoking cigarettes.

#22 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

When I see people smoking, I think they should be cut from all health benefits that are provided to them and they should wear a dunce hat. In short they don't have my respect.

I recommend you stay out of the Bad Habits thread. Seems we have quite a few smokers, in fact... on quick tally, that is the number one bad habit Codexians (that have posted) state they have.

#23 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

I recommend you stay out of the Bad Habits thread. Seems we have quite a few smokers, in fact... on quick tally, that is the number one bad habit Codexians (that have posted) state they have.

The fact that a lot of people do it doesn't at all make it okay. And it shouldn't change their opinion.

#24 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

The fact that a lot of people do it doesn't at all make it okay. And it shouldn't change their opinion.

Did I ever say that it makes smoking okay? Did I say for them to change their opinion?
No.

#25 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Did I ever say that it makes smoking okay? Did I say for them to change their opinion?
No.

It was clearly implicit. Or your post was unsubstantial, which is another problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users