Feedback on my new PC build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Freidmont

Freidmont
  • 448 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

http://secure.newegg...Number=24239587

I've spent some time doing my research and I've finally found a part list I'm happy with. Ready to pull the trigger as soon as the gfx card is back in stock. I had a friend who's built a few boxes look over it, and recommended getting an 850W PSU. However, that would almost double the price and I've already gone a few hundred over budget. Anyways, I would appreciate input on this and any other comments you might have.

#2 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Your PSU you have chosen is enough, and will handle everything fine even with an overclock on the CPU.
The DVD drive you've picked though is one for a laptop.

#3 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Whoa man, whoa! Friedmont! Where thehell have you been?! How are you doing? :p

#4 Freidmont

Freidmont
  • 448 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Skrillex, will select another drive. Enjoyed your show at the Orange Peel btw! Hey Hydro, got a new apartment and been without internet for a few months. I've been doing well otherwise, how about yourself?

#5 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Anti-Static wrist strap is a waste. Touch the inside of the case and you are fine.

Why bother with an i5 if you can get an i7?

I would advise against the Vertex 3. Its not as stable as it should be (Purchased 1 two weeks ago). Maybe you'll have better luck though (Mine installed windows and then disappeared from bios. Nothing I could do would get it to return. It returned randomly a week later. Worries me)

Consider these for your RAM instead

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231308

Slightly more expensive, but the CAS latency is faster (The important part). CAS latency determines how fast the memory can refresh data, which in DDR3 transfer speeds, this becomes a factor.

Your video card is out of stock

#6 Freidmont

Freidmont
  • 448 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

I am going to be using my pc mainly for gaming, and to my understanding a quad core doesn't offer much performance over a dual core, rather the clock rate is the more important factor. For this reason I had planned on the more affordable i5.

Is there another SSD you would recommend over the Vortex 3? I had just picked that one because it was on sale and had pretty good reviews.

The ram you linked to is actually a few dollars cheaper than the one I had selected. The newegg score is actually lower on that one, though of course I'm not going to make my final decision based on that. There were some bad reviews from people who said they got bad ram though I suppose that could happen with any brand. Will the CAS latency make that big of a difference?

I had a high recommendation of the MSI card from someone who's built a few pcs for himself and friends. I am hoping it will be back in stock soon, though I may get impatient and order it elsewhere. I will also take your advice and ditch the static wristband.

#7 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

I am going to be using my pc mainly for gaming, and to my understanding a quad core doesn't offer much performance over a dual core, rather the clock rate is the more important factor. For this reason I had planned on the more affordable i5.

Is there another SSD you would recommend over the Vortex 3? I had just picked that one because it was on sale and had pretty good reviews.

The ram you linked to is actually a few dollars cheaper than the one I had selected. The newegg score is actually lower on that one, though of course I'm not going to make my final decision based on that. There were some bad reviews from people who said they got bad ram though I suppose that could happen with any brand. Will the CAS latency make that big of a difference?

I had a high recommendation of the MSI card from someone who's built a few pcs for himself and friends. I am hoping it will be back in stock soon, though I may get impatient and order it elsewhere. I will also take your advice and ditch the static wristband.

Cores make a huge difference is everything you do, and will have an impact even in gaming, especially with games becoming more advanced.

The main thing is that you WILL NOT see lag when you are outside of a game. You'll game with it, and you'll browse online and shit, maybe both at the same time (How the fuck do I do that mission?). An I7 garuntees that the only thing you ever wait on is your stupid HDD. I've been using an i7 since its release, and using any other computer (Even the i5 that friends have/work has) just feels slower and lamer. Its my professional and unprofessional opinion that the i7 is the sexiest cpu in existence right now.

Of course, its a few years old. Intel might release their next cpu soon with twice the power or something. I don't know about that. But for now, it does make a difference. In a benchmark, they had the same exact setup for an i7 and i7. Same hd, same memory, same motherboard, same video card. Only had a difference between i5 and i7. I7 gave 3 more fps in the Crysis. No other cpu has ever affected cpu performance.

You can also get an i7 for around 20 dollars more.

Pickup this

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157306
And
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115071

You lose a few ports, but still have the critical sata 3 and usb 3 slots. You don't really need any more then 1-2 of those anyways. (No HDD will get a performance boost from sata 3, and only usb drives get a boost from USB 3)
As well as PCI 3 for your graphics card.

If anything, don't go with the i5. Go with this processor instead.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115087

Better then the i5. Almost as good as the i7.

Whatever processor you get. Overclock it to 4ghz and turn off turbo boost and you are good to go.

For video cards, I vote for the EVGA cards over anything else. They are by far the best I've ever seen or used as far as power goes.

And for your memory question. The CAS Latency doesn't make much difference in games, outside of it it is a slight difference. In DDR3, CAS latency means more the higher your MHZ is. The faster your speed, the more you need a faster CAS latency (Because at a certain point, you'll have no data to transfer since it hasn't refreshed any data yet).

#8 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Save yourself a hundred bucks and don't buy Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users