• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Ok so I went from ddr2 single channel ram at 535 mhz or somethin on an old am3 motherboard, the cpu was an Athlon II x2 215, i had an 8400 gs 512 mb gpu from MSI in it, 270 watt psu and it was all housed in an old crappy compaq case...

I changed the psu to a 500 watt, got a Gt 520 for awhile and eventually my hDD's died and that gpu passed.

So a few months ago i fully rebuilt a new pc basically.

Running an ASRock 880 GM LE FX Motherboard, 2x4gb sticks of 1600 mhz G.Skill Sniper Ram, a 512 mb MSI Radeon HD 4870 gpu which I was given by a mate, an AMD FX 6100 Black Edition Cpu, a wifi n card, tv tuner, basic oem optical drive, old aerogate II by coolermaster all inside an Antec Two Hundred case.

Within another week or 2 I will be trading out the motherboard for an asrock 970 so I can put it 2 spare 4gb sticks of corsair vengeance ram at the same clock and same timings. and I'll also be switching the 4870 for a 1 gb 6850 from gigabyte. If I have the money I'll also be getting a cpu cooler, either the cheapest water cooling cpu cooler from corsair or a Noctua Air Cooler.

I also will be fitting in a brand new Corsair air flow ram cooler which I was also given.

If you have ideas/tips etc then lemme know your thoughts etc etc etc

#2 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

You should really ask Pikachu, he just bought a new comp so maybe he knows more about buying or anything in general with comps. I'm asking him for help into buying a new comp.

#3 Beeboobop

Beeboobop
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

the Noctua NH-D14 (which is the noctua cooler I'm assuming you're planning on getting) will have clearance issues in the antec two hundred with the side panel fan installed. That can easily be remedied by not having the side panel fan in place though. In addition, you'll have heatsink clearance issues if you have the corsair ram cooler installed. I believe the noctua cooler will allow for 44mm of clearance from the base of the ram sockets to the bottom of the heatsink fins. That's not to say that you shouldn't get that noctua cooler, becaues the NH-D14 is awesome. Obviously you'll have less clearance issues with the all in one loop from corsair. If noise levels are important to you, I'd go with the noctua cooler. The NH-D14 is definitly a high end air cooler that beats most all in one water cooling loops, with an exception being the H100.

Edited by Beeboobop, 02 June 2012 - 02:23 AM.

#4 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:44 AM

I'm looking at either of these... the D14 is 1 iv'e considered.

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=13996

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=13232

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=12931

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=18432

The 1 with Blue lighting or the 1 rid Red Lighting are the one's i'm considering the most.

With my Stock Cooler from AMD for the FX 6100 without Overclocking My CPU doesn't go above 55 celcius while playing Crysis 2 or MW3 Maxed for over an hour.

My motherboard Hits 63 celcius and my graphics (3 year old 4870 with automatic fan control on) sits around 65 celcius.

When I get the new gpu and motherboard, with adding in the ram i'll be putting in my Ram cooler and figuring out which CPU cooler will be best to get

IF I have problems with finding a suitable air cooler i will most likely see if my mate can make an adapting thing to hook onto the ram clips like the cooler i have but allow the cooler to hook onto the adapter and still channel the air through the adaptor to the ram..

and If I decide on going all out on a CPU cooler i'll probably get a glass or perspex window Modded into the side of my case where the side fan goes to allow for a tiny bit more room with a larger cooler...

thanks for the tips btw, but feedback on the few coolers other than the D14 would be helpful in my decision making.

#5 Beeboobop

Beeboobop
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

with the thermaltake spinQ, you shouldn't run into any memory clearance issues and you should still have room for the ram cooler. In terms of cooling performance, both noctua coolers have better cooling capabilities. It looks like you can still use the ram cooler with the NH-U12P if you leave the fan closest to the ram slots uninstalled. Or maybe it'll be a super tight fit. I think with the cooler allows you to move the fans upward to avoid clearance issues but that ram cooler is going to be sitting pretty high. As for the xigmatek Colosseum, I can't really give you a true opinion. I've never heard of the cooler before and there's one crappy review of it online (maybe its not that great??).

To be honest, I would ditch the ram cooler. With proper case air flow the memory modules should have sufficient cooling. I feel that it just gets in the way and adds noise. Unless you're doing some serious overclocking, Then I'd consider additional cooling for the memory. That way you can fit in that monster NH-D14. Have you considered the Phanteks ph-tc14pe? It's super similar to the NH-D14 but the testing that I've seen shows that it cools a few degrees lower than the NH-D14. http://www.newegg.co...-tc14pe&x=0&y=0 comes in red, white, blue, orange, or black. I'm mainly suggesting this because the color of the noctua fans aren't necessarily appealing.

Edited by Beeboobop, 02 June 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#6 bringerlight

bringerlight
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

cooling is very important although if you dont mind the noise. If they burn out probably gonna have to replace a lot of hardwares.

#7 tehdownloader

tehdownloader
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Coolermaster hyper 212+ does the trick for me, also it's reasonably priced. Using a i7 950 with it's stock cooler I had temp readings from about 60-80 at high load, but once I installed a hyper 212+ my temps dropped to 50-70 at high loads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users