• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm looking for a program which I can put on a flash drive, and (when plugged in) will autofill exactly how the password manager within a browser does. Ideally, I would like to plug in the flash drive, enter a master password, and as long as it's plugged in it will autofill. If I remove and re-plug it in, it will require master password again.

Anyone know of a program which will do this?

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

firefox has some good extensions for this.

#3 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

firefox has some good extensions for this.

I think he wants something portable...

I haven't heard of something exactly like that, but maybe you could try 1Password? I'm not sure if it's available for your platform though...

#4 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

lastpass is awesome.

If you want to encrypt your drive however truecrypt is the way to go.

#5 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Your brain is the best one i can think of.

(Please community, be nice to him and dont make all the snide comments i know you are totally capable of)

#6 Metigue

Metigue
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Windows I hear is good

#7 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Your brain is the best one i can think of.

(Please community, be nice to him and dont make all the snide comments i know you are totally capable of)

Thanks for that :rolleyes:

#8 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

I've actually been thinking about this for the last few days. The only worry I have about using software for this is that it'll send back information or something. I'm super paranoid.

#9 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

It was for your protection; i swear.

Really though... get a random series of passwords and break it up into manageable groups... the write down the groups over and over again... then repeat them over and over again in your head.... example: (using this site to generate the password)

K7trebap = K7 - tre - bap

Simple :D

#10 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

It was for your protection; i swear.

Really though... get a random series of passwords and break it up into manageable groups... the write down the groups over and over again... then repeat them over and over again in your head.... example: (using this site to generate the password)

K7trebap = K7 - tre - bap

Simple :D

I want to be able to use incredibly difficult, different passwords for every site. Hence I'm not going to remember 435_-!!CVrgreGGref@#$ no matter how many times I write it down, and surely cant remember ~100 different combinations for all the sites I have logins for. My idea for the USB drive was to plug it in when I sit down, type the master password in, let it autofill, unplug and walk away leaving no saved passwords on the computer. Been messing with lastpass for the last few min trying to figure out if I can configure it in such a way, but its not looking promising.

#11 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

You can use that Firefox Sync thing. Passwords are kept really safe in ff.

#12 Freidmont

Freidmont
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

I used to use Lastpass, but grew wary of storing all my passwords in the cloud. Now I use Keepass which is free and open source.

#13 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

I used to use Lastpass, but grew wary of storing all my passwords in the cloud. Now I use Keepass which is free and open source.

heh. keepass

#14 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

Bump. I keep thinking about this project so I'm back to it. None of the suggestions so far have worked

#15 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Bump. I keep thinking about this project so I'm back to it. None of the suggestions so far have worked

What if it gets stolen? You'd lose pretty much everything then.

#16 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

What if it gets stolen? You'd lose pretty much everything then.

This is true. I realize the idea isn't perfect, but I want my passwords with me at all times. Right now I'm completely dependent on the browsers built in password manager, so when I'm at another computer I have to guess to figure out my login information.

To your point though, I would also accept a bluetooth app which connected my phone with laptop whenever I was close and acted in the same was as described in the OP.

#17 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

This is true. I realize the idea isn't perfect, but I want my passwords with me at all times. Right now I'm completely dependent on the browsers built in password manager, so when I'm at another computer I have to guess to figure out my login information.

To your point though, I would also accept a bluetooth app which connected my phone with laptop whenever I was close and acted in the same was as described in the OP.

Sounds like you have a good idea for an app that should be developed!

#18 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

What kind of phone do you have? Android?

#19 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yessir. But Iphone in the future possibly

#20 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yessir. But Iphone in the future possibly

I could do that for the android since I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for the SDK, can't help for the iphone sorry :/

#21 Annalily

Annalily
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

I just keep passwords in a google doc, I can access it wherever I am with the internet x3. No autofill, but I can type anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users