• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

Thought this would be a good share...

I found this tutorial explaining how to achieve 3 different smudge types. It's definitely worth checking out...

I did not create this video, it's by BakaArts

#2 Lasciel

Lasciel
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:59 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Gotta try this once I get PS installed (keep forgetting to do that).

#3 sarah.

sarah.
  • 5392 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

He's got some really good video's on there, thanks for posting this!

#4 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

:) Yup. Had a quick look, I have yet to check them out!

#5 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

Oh my god I love this vid just for the seconds of 4-9 how he greets.

"Heyyy what is up you two people my name is asdfklasdf"

Talking 50mph and whats with the "waht is up you two people"? :S

Love the accent!

#6 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

Whenever I use the smudge tool in PS, it lags a lot. :( I have a 2 Gigabyte RAM btw.

#7 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:28 AM

Whenever I use the smudge tool in PS, it lags a lot. :( I have a 2 Gigabyte RAM btw.

I had a chat with my brother and at his work place they installed a new graphics card and all the programs they use sped up. This included Zbrush, 3Dsmax and Photoshop.

You might want to look into it mate. Or maybe you could try smudging on a smaller canvas with a small default round brush (with NO jitter or dynamics), hardness 100% and 90% smudge strength.

Edited by IcedEarth, 08 June 2012 - 12:28 AM.

#8 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

Probably time to get a new graphics card. :p 3ds Max renders take a lot of time too. :p I've currently have an Nvidia graphics card. (1 GB)

Edited by grapes, 08 June 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#9 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:47 AM

Probably time to get a new graphics card. :p 3ds Max renders take a lot of time too. :p I've currently have an Nvidia graphics cards (1 GB)

What kind of stuff do you render out in 3ds max? lol I don't know anything about graphics cards, I'm guessing that's not a good one.

#10 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

3d models. :) mostly high poly ones, so they take a fair bit of time even without lots of lighting :(

#11 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

3d models. :) mostly high poly ones, so they take a fair bit of time even without lots of lighting :(

Yeah, I hear my brother using that term a lot, "high poly" "low poly" lol I really don't know that much about 3D programs, except a little bit of Cinema 4D and Google Sketch Up.

Are they Character models that you create?

#12 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

Yup, characters. :) I'm guessing your brother is a 3d modeller? I don't rig or animate models yet though.

#13 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

Yup, characters. :) I'm guessing your brother is a 3d modeller? I don't rig or animate models yet though.

Awesome! Yeah, he works as a 3D/2D Artist (Character and environments) in the Games industry.
Yeah, he tells me rigging and animating is really hard to master. He's trying to pick it up because apparently it's seen as extremely valuable if you can model, rig and animate.

#14 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:10 AM

That's nice to hear. :) I'm polishing my 3d skills to become a professional. (I'm 15 currently) :)

#15 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:21 AM

That's nice to hear. :) I'm polishing my 3d skills to become a professional. (I'm 15 currently) :)

Nice one, I wish you the best with that!

My brother was 19 when he started anything to do with 3D and was working professionally by 21. We are 22 now lol (We're twins)

I can imagine you'll be amazing by the time you start earning a living from it :p

#16 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:03 AM

Cheers for the tut link mate. Had a quick go at a sig (learned a few new techniques along the way too XD)

Posted Image

C&C welcome ;)

#17 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

Cheers for the tut link mate. Had a quick go at a sig (learned a few new techniques along the way too XD)

Posted Image

C&C welcome ;)

The smudging looks really good. I'd say the light source kind of washes out the render. Maybe tone it down or move it up. Also maybe have the fractals just around the render so you can appreciate the smudge work.

Smudging is fun right, does this not make you want to enter SOTW :p Also what about the new user bar! lol

Edited by IcedEarth, 08 June 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#18 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:25 AM

Before
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

how bout now? :p

Yeah you're right about the smudging being fun. I actually enjoyed following that video. Might have to make a few more with different techniques and see what I can come up with :)

#19 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

Before
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

how bout now? :p

Yeah, that looks a lot better! Do you use Gradient Maps?

#20 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:31 AM

Yeah, that looks a lot better! Do you use Gradient Maps?

Nah I don't. Should I? Lol haven't gotten that far into PS yet.

#21 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

Nice one, I wish you the best with that!

My brother was 19 when he started anything to do with 3D and was working professionally by 21. We are 22 now lol (We're twins)

I can imagine you'll be amazing by the time you start earning a living from it :p

Would you recommend me learning Maya and Zbrush too (along with 3ds Max)?

Nah I don't. Should I? Lol haven't gotten that far into PS yet.

You should. :) I learnt about them in the video. :)

#22 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:10 AM

Definitely learn Zbrush! That is like essential in the industry. My brother learnt Maya but the company he works for uses 3dsmax so now he is learning that.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you do sculpting in Zbrush and modelling in either Maya or 3dsmax. So if you're use to 3dsmax then stick with it. I'm not sure what games companies use more but I can ask him when he gets home tonight.

And Strategist, yeah, gradient maps are fun to mess around with. You can get some nice effects, sort of like an overall colour balance.

#23 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

Game companies tend to use max over Maya. Movies generally use Maya. Zbrush has a unique clay-sculpting like modelling style. It's essentially the same thing, ie, making models, but in a different style. :)

#24 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

Game companies tend to use max over Maya. Movies generally use Maya. Zbrush has a unique clay-sculpting like modelling style. It's essentially the same thing, ie, making models, but in a different style. :)

Ah I see, my brother uses both Zbrush and Maya to create a character. I think he models in Maya, sort of like a block out and sculpts the details in Zbrush, like the eyes and face and stuff.
Either way, definitely learn Zbrush.

#25 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Details are definitely easier to model in Zbrush. :) (even though, I believe that a precise model requires complete 3ds max/maya) I haven't really used Zbrush much though so I can't say for sure.

btw, I have a fair bit of 3ds max exprience and really prefer it over maya. Is that good or bad? (I tried maya once, but I'm too used to the shortcut keys and interface that I find Maya confusing. :( )

EDIT: Zbrush is on download. Should be done in a couple of minutes. :)

Edited by grapes, 08 June 2012 - 07:36 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Smudge Signature, Tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users