• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

The Official Price Check Thread has become overrun with people asking for prices on NP items lately, and I don't understand why. When you ask someone to check a price for you, they are not doing anything that you could not do yourself. I wondered why people would be asking for prices on NP items and I have come to the conclusion that they may not know the steps that are taken to check the prices, or are not confident that the conclusions they come to are correct. So I have written this guide to help you feel more confident in pricing NP items.

I will take some examples straight from the Official Price Check Thread and walk you through the process that I personally go through when pricing these items.

Example A:

Price check on Pirate Meerca Morphing Potion. I have a feeling the prices on TP are too low. Maybe not?

What I am going to do first is go to our item DB and look up the price of all the pirate morphing potions to compare them.

Spoiler

Now that I have learned roughly what these can be bought and sold for in relation to the rest of the MPs, I will look on Neopets to see what they are going for at the moment:

Spoiler

I can stop here, I have my answer. If I want my potion to sell, I will have to price it lower than 200k NP on the TP. Pricing it at 99,999 in my shop would probably offload it quicker and with less hassle. Alternatively I could hang onto it hoping that the price will go up after the cheaper ones sell (protip: this rarely works out the way you want it to).

I always scratch my head when I see people ask for price quotes on items like this. They are not super rare, there are plenty of them on the TP with prices, and they are not newly released items. TRUST YOURSELF! You already know the answer :p

Example B:

Kadoatie Biscuits?

Unpriced on the TP and here :/

Ahhh, more of a challenge, an unpriced item. Just to be sure (not that any of you would ever overlook this) I will double-check our iDB and the Neopets TP to be sure that there are no current prices on this item at the time (which there are not). Next thing I will do will be to go to JellyNeo's Item Database to find the rarity index of the item and when it was released.

Spoiler

This will put this item in a predictable price range somewhere around 200-500k. Higher rarity gourmet/kad foods can get into the millions but they are HTS and you will probably end up deflating them anyway. If the item was super new I would put it closer to 700-800k but since these items are meant to be consumed people don't tend to pay ridiculous amounts for them unless they are crazy rare or collectable.

Example C:

Can I have the price for a :

Worn Leather Yurble Belt. Can't find a price and got it through a Treasure Map :)

Keep in mind that this PC was requested on 2 June, 2012. Checking the Neopets TP and our iDB turns up nothing, so off I go to JN again...

Spoiler

Because this item had just been released in the last couple of days, scarcity will artifically inflate the price to around 700-800k. Once more of them become available, some different factors will come into play. It is a less popular species, it's a belt, and it's not super high rarity - I would predict that it will be worth ~200-300k in a few weeks.

I would encourage everyone to attempt to price the items yourself before asking for a price quote from the forum. The more you do it, the more confident you will be in your own pricing abilities. If you do happen to price an UB incorrectly, it is not hard to figure out. It will either rot on the TP with no offers (priced too high) or you will get a handful of offers immediately (priced too low). So don't be scared! Just jump in and start pricing :)

If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know!

#2 Iterative

Iterative
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the guide! This is really helpful to me since I'm pretty hopeless at pricing things. The unpriced everywhere UB is always the one I struggle with. Out of curiosity: Do you have sort of "price guidelines" for where things will fall depending on the item's rarity? I am especially unsure what I should be selling my r99s for, as they vary quite widely in price, but anything in the r95-r99 range seems to be unpredictable to me in terms of price.

High-demand items like stamps and gourmet foods especially seem to have a huge variance in price for similar rarity and I have no idea what determines it.

#3 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Awesome guide! :)
Really frustrates me when people look at JN and demand that price or don't actually investigate the item to determine a reasonable value.

I also think people should really investigate the popularity of the item in regards to it's species relation. Especially the items that don't really have a "use".
Such as some r101 Grundo items. While they are r101 and sometimes sought after for investment purposes, people need to realize that an item like Green Grundo Frosted Cookies will only appeal to a rather small range of people. So obviously while it is a r101 prize code item, it is going to be pretty HTS at full price because there are very very few people who collect Grundo related items. (I'm pretty much one of, if not the, only serious collectors of Grundo items).
But an item such as a Kadoatie themed food item or a "pretty" pink/purple/sparkly item will probably appeal to a wider range of people and thus, easier to sell for the full amount.

Hope that made some sense. xD

Thanks for the guide! This is really helpful to me since I'm pretty hopeless at pricing things. The unpriced everywhere UB is always the one I struggle with. Out of curiosity: Do you have sort of "price guidelines" for where things will fall depending on the item's rarity? I am especially unsure what I should be selling my r99s for, as they vary quite widely in price, but anything in the r95-r99 range seems to be unpredictable to me in terms of price.

High-demand items like stamps and gourmet foods especially seem to have a huge variance in price for similar rarity and I have no idea what determines it.

I'm not sure how others do it but I tend to look at items of the same type and same rarity and compare the prices of them. Try to determine if the item applies to a specific species, if that's a popular species. If it's useable (for a real purpose such as Gourmet Food), etc.
So if I restock a clothing item that's fairly new or unpriced anywhere. I look at other clothing items of the same rarity and sorta gauge from there depending on the species and what-not.

Edited by Gorix, 09 June 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#4 Yac

Yac
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Very useful information, thank you!
I always hated when people on the TP refused to flat-out tell you a price for an item, hopefully trying to get you to offer more than the item was really worth at the time.

#5 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

Very useful information, thank you!
I always hated when people on the TP refused to flat-out tell you a price for an item, hopefully trying to get you to offer more than the item was really worth at the time.

I run into this problem A LOT and it pisses me off more than anything.
I'm trying to buy items for my gallery and people outright refuse to tell you what they want for an item.
They expect you to magically guess what they want, and if you don't offer it, they will most likely block you. So effing moronic.

I'm 27 years old, Neopets is enough of a game for me. I'm not here to play games on the TP as well.
I just want to buy the damn thing for my gallery.

#6 kamelonu

kamelonu
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

+rep
Much needed

And Nymph i want more pictures of you doodling on them.

#7 Iterative

Iterative
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

I run into this problem A LOT and it pisses me off more than anything.
I'm trying to buy items for my gallery and people outright refuse to tell you what they want for an item.
They expect you to magically guess what they want, and if you don't offer it, they will most likely block you. So effing moronic.

It gets even better when they don't respond AT ALL, so you're just left hanging. But yeah. A lot of trading just feels like two people trying not to be the first one to blink (i.e. offer a price on an item).

Most of the time, if an item I have is unpriced, it's because I don't know what to price it for, and what I'll accept depends on how long it's been up rotting in my lots and annoying me with the sight of them. Resellers probably love me for my impatience. XD

#8 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

[/font][/color]

It gets even better when they don't respond AT ALL, so you're just left hanging. But yeah. A lot of trading just feels like two people trying not to be the first one to blink (i.e. offer a price on an item).

Most of the time, if an item I have is unpriced, it's because I don't know what to price it for, and what I'll accept depends on how long it's been up rotting in my lots and annoying me with the sight of them. Resellers probably love me for my impatience. XD

I tell people it's for my gallery and not to resell in hopes that they will just tell me what they want for it, but that rarely ever happens. =|

#9 Iterative

Iterative
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

I tell people it's for my gallery and not to resell in hopes that they will just tell me what they want for it, but that rarely ever happens. =|

I suspect the key as a buyer is to go for the accounts that don't look like they're hardcore TCers/resellers. I sell most everything under 200k for 99,999 in my shop, and I do a lot of quicksales to resellers because getting most of my profits in through rather risky ABing makes me a bit more chilled out about selling things for cheap. I'm pretty sure there's one dude who probably checks on my lots every day for how often I get offers from him, but I know I'm just exchanging time for NPs, and I'd rather have pure *now* that I can launder elsewhere than to have a bunch of HTS items that could be frozen with my account in the future.

Edited by Iterative, 09 June 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#10 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

[/font][/color]
I suspect the key as a buyer is to go for the accounts that don't look like they're hardcore TCers/resellers. I sell most everything under 200k for 99,999 in my shop, and I do a lot of quicksales to resellers because getting most of my profits in through rather risky ABing makes me a bit more chilled out about selling things for cheap. I'm pretty sure there's one dude who probably checks on my lots every day for how often I get offers from him, but I know I'm just exchanging time for NPs, and I'd rather have pure *now* that I can launder elsewhere than to have a bunch of HTS items that could be frozen with my account in the future.

Problem is, most of the items I'm looking to buy are r101 and thus, very few around (if any) on the TP.
Doesn't give me much choice as to who I deal with. Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users