Photo

Accents

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 yeah

yeah
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Do you have/want one? Got a favorite kind?
Despite being raised 'down south', I think I'm neutral, but my dad is kinda Northern-sounding. My grandma says he had a hilariously thick Boston accent when they lived there (he was an elementary schooler).
Funny how quick little kids pick up on voices. I know these two twin boys, Cole and Quinn, who moved to London for some years. When they came back (a few months ago), they both had notable British twangs, but their mom was still neutral as ever.

#2 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Lol I always find it funny when someone is telling a story, and they tell the people's names. (Cole and Quinn).
BUT on a serious note, I am told I have a slight "Canadian" accent. I am from the maritimes so yeah, if you youtube what a newfie talks like.. That's me.

#3 Senrath

Senrath
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Everyone has an accent of some kind. "Neutral" usually just means "what I'm used to hearing".

That said, I have no clue what kind of accent I have.

#4 Beeboobop

Beeboobop
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Irish accents are pretty cool

#5 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

Nothern basic accent. It literally has no deviations of words or how to say things.

Spokane WA is where I'm from.

Edited by Megazord, 13 June 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#6 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Mine's Canadian, but sometimes my mom's British Indian-Canadian mixed up accent rubs off on me.

I think little kids tend to pick up on accents more since they're still learning words, and they learn to pronounce from the people around them.

I do like the refined British accent and Australian accent. They're just so nice to listen to.

#7 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

I have no idea what kind of accent I have, I assume it's slightly southern-US (like Tennessee) with a little bit of Norwegian thrown in (kind of like the movie Fargo - that is where I am from, but nowhere near that extreme). Those of you that have heard my voice could probably tell better than me since I listen to myself all the time :rolleyes:

I loooooove English accents the most but I also like pretty much any accent that isn't American.

#8 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

You're going to die when you meet me then :o

and me and me :)

I have a pretty generic british accent. i am not a scouse or a mancunian or a cockney or plum-mouthed i'm just a little bit southern xD

interestingly though my dad comes from up north and his mum made him get elocution lessons to get rid of his accent because she said he wouldn't get a job otherwise :S

Edited by trizzle, 13 June 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

interestingly though my dad comes from up north and his mum made him get elocution lessons to get rid of his accent because she said he wouldn't get a job otherwise :S

Racist. :(

#10 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

South African accents FTW

#11 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

South African accents FTW

fookin prawwwns! xD

#12 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

fookin prawwwns! xD

Heavens no. Ok, some people actually sound like that. But not me...I promise?

#13 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Heavens no. Ok, some people actually sound like that. But not me...I promise?

No, you have a lisp.

#14 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

No, you have a lisp.

I knew this was coming. I don't have a lisp. You were imagining it.
I like your accent though.

#15 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

I knew this was coming. I don't have a lisp. You were imagining it.
I like your accent though.

I imagine you reading all of your posts with a lisp now. I could never really take you seriously but this is the final nail in the coffin.

#16 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

You're going to die when you meet me then :o

I look forward to the day ;)

Trizzle: Kiwi and I live about 3 hours drive away from each other so I will probably get to meet her sooner than you :(

#17 yeah

yeah
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Everyone has an accent of some kind. "Neutral" usually just means "what I'm used to hearing".

That said, I have no clue what kind of accent I have.

I guess what would be considered neutral in America, then? When you put it that way, hm...

Lol I always find it funny when someone is telling a story, and they tell the people's names. (Cole and Quinn).
BUT on a serious note, I am told I have a slight "Canadian" accent. I am from the maritimes so yeah, if you youtube what a newfie talks like.. That's me.

Only because they have cool names. :p

#18 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

ello guvnor

#19 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

I guess what would be considered neutral in America, then? When you put it that way, hm...

I always thought 'neutral' in America was considered the 'Midland' accent, but I found this quiz that insinuates 'American neutral' is 'West.'

I used to have a horrible 'hood accent, but then I moved to right outside BFE and learned how normal people talk. I just like accents. I like ghetto accents, Southern accents, foreign accents... all of them.

Edited by Napiform, 13 June 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#20 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

I always thought 'neutral' in America was considered the 'Midland' accent, but I found this quiz that insinuates 'American neutral' is 'West.'

My quiz results:
Posted Image

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

My quiz results:

Mine was the West. I'll go re-take really quick so you all can see that description.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Edited by Napiform, 13 June 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#22 Senrath

Senrath
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

I used to have a horrible 'hood accent, but then I moved to right outside BFE and learned how normal people talk. I just like accents. I like ghetto accents, Southern accents, foreign accents... all of them.

Well, to quote the quiz ""You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent.""

#23 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

I have a boring Californian accent... but this video might be more entertaining.

#24 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

I have a boring Californian accent...

WE AREN'T BORING!!!

I like girls with a french accent ^___^

#25 Fireball

Fireball
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Today I went to an amusement park and ended up sitting next to this Australian on a roller coaster. I loved his accent and the way he spoke on the way up the first drop. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users