• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

http://www.computerw...ver_says_iFixit

iFixit, a popular electronics do-it-yourself website, today gave the new MacBook Pro with the Retina display its worst-possible repair score of just 1 out of a possible 10.

"This is, to date, the least-repairable laptop we've taken apart," said Kyle Wiens, CEO of iFixit, in an email today. "Apple has packed all the things we hate into one beautiful little package."

As in the MacBook Air, the laptop's memory is soldered to the logic board, eliminating any later RAM upgrade. Customers must order the Pro with exact amount of memory they desire, and pay Apple's high prices.

Being able to upgrade your computer, or replace parts that go bad, is a right that anyone purchasing a computer has enjoyed for the longest time. Those skilled enough to repair a computer are able to fix their problems for almost nothing in cost. Even people who do not have the skill, have enjoyed significantly lower costs to replace or repair parts that have gone bad or been damaged.

Apple blatantly tries their hardest to prevent upgrades or repairs of their product without Apple charging for it (And charging at least 200% more then a similar repair for any other computer).

Do you think that other sellers will learn that they can make millions off of repairs if they just make it so no one else can and handle them all on their own? Since their are multiple sellers for this product, it might be hard for this trend to start, but if someone makes the leap, the rest will likely follow.

Where will the computer industry be then, when a computer costs 90% of its purchase price just to repair?

See the breakdown here

http://www.ifixit.co.../1#.T9kAT7VSSSo

Edited by iargue, 13 June 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#2 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Whoa whoa, 200% the price? This is a steal right here!

Posted Image

#3 zandra

zandra
  • 791 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

seems like apple is being really mean, but then again, they always get away being so anti-consumer.

the retina display is really tempting though. movies will be awesome.

#4 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

Checkmate, apple.

#5 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

This doesn't surprise me really. I mean they change around the image locations with different iOS revisions for the iPhone/iPod Touch, which probably is used just to make it more difficult for the theming community -> possibly decreasing the amount of people who jailbreak. They use a .ttc container to hold several .ttf files so that porting fonts would be a pain in the ass too because you have to decompile it, change the characters and then recompile it.

Of course this could easily be avoided by not theming, but stock iOS is so ugly

#6 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

seems like apple is being really mean, but then again, they always get away being so anti-consumer.

the retina display is really tempting though. movies will be awesome.

There really isn't that much of a difference.

#7 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

Whoa whoa, 200% the price? This is a steal right here!

Posted Image

Holy ballsacks! You could buy a really nice car with that kind of money. Do apple fans every ask themselves why they're paying so much for this crap?

E: even I'll admit they make some top notch laptops but they're dreaming if they think regular people will fork over the money

#8 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Melchoire,

That's not a real price. Go price one out yourself... Yes, $2200 is very steep for a laptop. Yes, I think the retina display is awesome. I did think about buying one but 2200 bucks for a laptop is really, really high. The non-upgradable RAM pushed the decision to a definitive "no" for me.

#9 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

http://www.computerw...ver_says_iFixit

Being able to upgrade your computer, or replace parts that go bad, is a right that anyone purchasing a computer has enjoyed for the longest time. Those skilled enough to repair a computer are able to fix their problems for almost nothing in cost. Even people who do not have the skill, have enjoyed significantly lower costs to replace or repair parts that have gone bad or been damaged.

Apple blatantly tries their hardest to prevent upgrades or repairs of their product without Apple charging for it (And charging at least 200% more then a similar repair for any other computer).

Do you think that other sellers will learn that they can make millions off of repairs if they just make it so no one else can and handle them all on their own? Since their are multiple sellers for this product, it might be hard for this trend to start, but if someone makes the leap, the rest will likely follow.

Where will the computer industry be then, when a computer costs 90% of its purchase price just to repair?

See the breakdown here

http://www.ifixit.co.../1#.T9kAT7VSSSo

Many companies are doing just fine with their current business model, and this isn't a new ploy by any means.

Melchoire,

That's not a real price. Go price one out yourself... Yes, $2200 is very steep for a laptop. Yes, I think the retina display is awesome. I did think about buying one but 2200 bucks for a laptop is really, really high. The non-upgradable RAM pushed the decision to a definitive "no" for me.

Well shit....

Even $2200 is more than double what I'd expect to pay for a laptop with those specs. Lenovo makes some really good quality laptops, the one I'm using right now has better specs(except 8GB ram instead of 16) and I got it for just under $800.

#10 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

If I were to spend 2.2k on a laptop it'd probably be a Sony Vaio Z series. Sure it's probably pretty overpriced but damn is that thing sleek

#11 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

If I were to spend 2.2k on a laptop it'd probably be a Sony Vaio Z series. Sure it's probably pretty overpriced but damn is that thing sleek

Spending 2k on a laptop is lolworthy enough, but I guess if you're not adamant about specs or just have cash to throw around I suppose its understandable.

#12 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

To a lot of people out there, two grand isn't a big sum of money.
The only reason I would not buy a retina MBP is that it's the first iteration of the new product.

I do hope that this 'encourages' other OEMs to step their display game up. 1366x762 is the worst thing to happen to the notebook market imo.

#13 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

No. It is a lot of money. People just think it isn't, and THAT'S WHY OUR ECONOMY IS IN THIS STATE.

2 grand isn't a big deal, I'll just get it from the bank.

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

No. It is a lot of money. People just think it isn't, and THAT'S WHY OUR ECONOMY IS IN THIS STATE.

Way to say "No", and then repeat his point.

#15 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Way to say "No", and then repeat his point.

I never repeated his point.... Not sure what you are on...

#16 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Herp derp. Cunt.

#17 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Herp derp. Cunt.

Yes. And America went into a massive decline from millions of people borrowing money and being unable to pay it back. Millions of people thought that they could just borrow 2 grand from the bank, get the latest apple product, and everything would be fine. We got fucked over from that horrible practice, and are still struggling to recover from their stupidity.

Its known as sarcasm.

#18 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Funny that this could have been avoided with the use of quotation marks...

#19 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

iargue is too "intelligent" for that

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Its known as sarcasm.

No, it's known as being wrong.
Or, alternatively, being completely unable to convey your point clearly.

#21 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

No, it's known as being wrong.
Or, alternatively, being completely unable to convey your point clearly.

Or sarcasm.

You know, when you say something to completely mock its ridiculous point. Which saying "I'll just get it from the bank" is mocking it.

But of course, anything I say has to be wrong. After all, you are Sweeney, absolutely perfect. You know everything and what everyone means. Posted Image

There. I gave you a sign so you wouldn't screw that one up and think I meant what I said about you as well.

#22 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

If you're unable to save up two grand, that's fine, but don't be a twat and imply I'm incapable of doing so.

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

But of course, anything I say has to be wrong.

Well, apart from this, I'd say you're bang on.

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

If you're unable to save up two grand, that's fine, but don't be a twat and imply I'm incapable of doing so.

Who implied that you were incapable of doing so?

#25 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

Well, I actually understood the point you were making iArgue and that you were being sarcastic/facetious in your second line... However, for some people, 2 grand isn't much. It's a significant enough portion of my salary so I won't be buying one.... :p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users