Marriage Proposals

marriage

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Morph

Morph
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

^ This is a video of some crazy guy who found his own unique way to propose to a girlfriend whom he obviously had very strong feelings for. It's no doubt he spent the most of their relationship winning her over with cuteness and good charm. Both of these qualities are important in proposing marriage to a girl you love. Deciding to marry is no doubt an unbelievably huge decision and a proposal that lacks originality, flare, or apparent emotion can lead to a girl having second thoughts.

I've had a girlfriend going on two years now, and we're basically inseparable. We wouldn't even dream of getting married until we're both out of college, which is still a ways off. There's nothing forthcoming very soon regarding us and a commitment that big yet. However, that doesn't keep me from thinking sometimes, when I do propose, whether to her or to someone else, what exactly can I do to really knock a gal off her feet?

Being a guy,
Have you ever thought about how you might propose?
What were some ideas you've had?
If you already did propose, what did you do/how did it go?

Being a girl,
Do you think it's important for a guy to be original and show some creatively cute enthusiasm during a marriage proposal?
Would you rather a proposal just be traditional, straight-up and classy?

Edited by Squirtle, 16 June 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#2 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:05 AM

Being a guy,
Have you ever thought about how you might propose?
What were some ideas you've had?
If you already did propose, what did you do/how did it go?

I have... I know I'm only 19 but I've known my girlfriend since 5th grade and we've been dating for 3 years.

I've always wanted to do it somewhere that has a lot of meaning for the both of us. I just haven't been able to piece together the mechanics of it. I want it to be somewhere intimate. I dread the idea of doing it in public :L I think it's unfair to the lady if she wants to say no :p

Do you know of any places that hold a special significance for the both of you?

#3 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:05 AM

As a woman, I don't really need something crazy or original or something that will get 4 million YouTube views. I expect him to do something that will be meaningful and memorable (not like, toss the box at me while we're watching TV and be like "there, you've earned it" or something). But I don't really care much about it taking months of planning, involving other people or even being super original. I do kind of want it to be a surprise though.

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

In the interests of equality you should let her propose to you.

#5 Lasciel

Lasciel
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:28 AM

As a woman, I don't really need something crazy or original or something that will get 4 million YouTube views. I expect him to do something that will be meaningful and memorable (not like, toss the box at me while we're watching TV and be like "there, you've earned it" or something). But I don't really care much about it taking months of planning, involving other people or even being super original. I do kind of want it to be a surprise though.

Agree so much.

Doesn't really matter if he can't do something super duper creative or big. In fact that might annoy me because I'd feel like he was putting up such a big show for everyone else to see and comment and rave about, just because it's fashionable these days to have super witty/super fancy/super clever proposals. Would be nice if it was thoughtful, meaningful, a nice surprise, and maybe in front of some people (I don't want to feel like he's embarrassed to be proposing to me), but not in front of the whole world or whatever.

#6 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

That is the best one I've seen so far.

/geek

#7 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

As a woman, the proposal is the least of my worries, its the ring, was it expensive? does it look nice? Is it better than all my friends?

No I jest. It doesnt need to be too outrageous and origonal just special and something neither of you will forget.

Mainly it just needs to be appropriate for you both, each girl is different, you know her likes and disslikes, some women like being center of attention, some would rather shy away somewhere quiet. For example if she is more like the latter, make sure you dont do it in a stadium full of people etc and I dont think you will go too far wrong. Romance wins against bravado :)

#8 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

In the interests of equality you should let her propose to you.

You stole my answer, and I ain't even kidding around. Why should it only be the man to propose marriage? Why should a woman be content to just sit around and wait for him to muster up the courage to ask her to marry him? Fuck that, I got things I gotta do. If the idea of being married appealed to me at all, I would have asked my pretty little cuddle bunny to marry me a long time ago. I could grow old and die waiting for him to do anything without me taking the reins.

#9 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

You stole my answer, and I ain't even kidding around. Why should it only be the man to propose marriage? Why should a woman be content to just sit around and wait for him to muster up the courage to ask her to marry him? Fuck that, I got things I gotta do. If the idea of being married appealed to me at all, I would have asked my pretty little cuddle bunny to marry me a long time ago. I could grow old and die waiting for him to do anything without me taking the reins.

A-motherfuckin-men sister

Speaking of proposals I am still waiting on your answer. We can grow old, have cats, crochet, and make fun of Kung-Fu movies together.

#10 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

Ooh Kiwi your ring is so pretty! But if my eventual husband is rich I would love a big solitaire xD If he's not I'll have a paperclip ring or something :3

Honestly, I agree with punk. I don't see why it should be so unheard of for women to propose. I asked 2 of my boyfriends out because honestly I got bored of waiting. I had a few people tease me about it but so what? It's no one else's business but your own.

Also I think it would be a great story to tell.

That said if the man of my dreams is creative and proposes to me great! But if I find someone I really love and want to commit to and I get bored of waiting for them to propose I am just going to pop the question myself :) I'm really not one to wait around for what I want xP

#11 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

When I proposed I planned it out carefully, I took her on a walk at midnight to the place I very first told her I loved her, I had a bouquet of roses there waiting for her, and candles ready to be lit. After quickly lighting them a presented her the roses, she was floored by how romantic I was being, what with the full moon, roses, walk at midnight, and so on. Then before she could say anything I got down to one knee and I proposed to her. She said yes and we were happily married just a few months later for two years.

Key points was that I was romantic, I took her to our special place that only she and I shared, I confessed my deep love profusely, and I proposed.

#12 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm afraid it wouldn't be legal where we live, Nymh. But it sounds like a perfect scenario to live out 30 years from now in Germany.

Key points was that I was romantic, I took her to our special place that only she and I shared, I confessed my deep love profusely, and I proposed.

It's awful, I know, I'm just an awful person with an awful brain, but I imagine when divorce was proposed, ya'll skipped the roses, didn't you?

#13 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

It's awful, I know, I'm just an awful person with an awful brain, but I imagine when divorce was proposed, ya'll skipped the roses, didn't you?

She just left, no communication for over a year, took my daughter from me, then walked out on her too. Fighting in courts to get her back.

So yeah... no roses.

#14 Kinky

Kinky
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image

^ I think this is the most adorable way anybody could propose.

#15 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Not a proposal but... the very first time I told Napiform that I love her I took her to this spot just up the road from where I live a couple hours after dark. It's a balcony that overlooks a two hundred foot cliff, looking down at the oldest of the Ozark dams. The dam was all lit up, there were stars out, the full moon, and I grabbed her, kissed her, told her I loved her. Then she almost raped me. J/k, but she was shocked and it took her a few minutes to talk, we kissed again then left.

It's special, it's something we will both share and cherish.

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

No I jest. It doesn't need to be too outrageous and original just special and something neither of you will forget.

Mainly it just needs to be appropriate for you both, each girl is different, you know her likes and dislikes, some women like being center of attention, some would rather shy away somewhere quiet. For example if she is more like the latter, make sure you don't do it in a stadium full of people etc and I don't think you will go too far wrong. Romance wins against bravado :)

Yeah, this. The man I end up marrying will know how to do it in a way that is special for us.

Not a proposal but... the very first time I told Napiform that I love her I took her to this spot just up the road from where I live a couple hours after dark. It's a balcony that overlooks a two hundred foot cliff, looking down at the oldest of the Ozark dams. The dam was all lit up, there were stars out, the full moon, and I grabbed her, kissed her, told her I loved her. Then she almost raped me. J/k, but she was shocked and it took her a few minutes to talk, we kissed again then left.

It's special, it's something we will both share and cherish.

It was very sweet.

When I proposed I planned it out carefully, I took her on a walk at midnight to the place I very first told her I loved her, I had a bouquet of roses there waiting for her, and candles ready to be lit. After quickly lighting them a presented her the roses, she was floored by how romantic I was being, what with the full moon, roses, walk at midnight, and so on. Then before she could say anything I got down to one knee and I proposed to her. She said yes and we were happily married just a few months later for two years.

If you ever get the urge to try to convince me to marry you, I will slice your testicles off for you to swallow if you do it like this.

#17 imcominatcha

imcominatcha
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:47 AM

If you ever get the urge to try to convince me to marry you, I will slice your testicles off for you to swallow if you do it like this.

Without them testicles, won't sex be a little awkward?

#18 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

My husband had been away for a few months with the Military, and proposed the night he came back..
He told me he got me a gift.. it was a cat mug.. I was like this is a mug.. with a cat on it.. I thought he was serious so I pretended to love it, and while I was "admiring" my cat mug, he pulled out a gorgeous white gold engagement ring, and got down on one knee..

It was just the two of us in our apartment, and it was so intimate and special.
Wouldn't want it any other way.

#19 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

My husband had been away for a few months with the Military, and proposed the night he came back..
He told me he got me a gift.. it was a cat mug.. I was like this is a mug.. with a cat on it.. I thought he was serious so I pretended to love it, and while I was "admiring" my cat mug, he pulled out a gorgeous white gold engagement ring, and got down on one knee..

It was just the two of us in our apartment, and it was so intimate and special.
Wouldn't want it any other way.

If I ever decide to propose to someone, I'm going to give her a cat mug. If she doesn't genuinely like it, I'll know she's not the one.

#20 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

If I ever decide to propose to someone, I'm going to give her a cat mug. If she doesn't genuinely like it, I'll know she's not the one.

Propose to me.

+rep

Edited by cronus, 18 June 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Without them testicles, won't sex be a little awkward?

Strap-on.

#22 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

*Sigh* For the second woman that took me as her husband, I actually did the opening up a cracker jack box and unsealing the prize package. It was a fair amount of work, and really didn't work out that great. Went to a really great restaurant, ate too much good food, were full and I sort of had to force her to open the dang box of cracker jacks. The first marriage was much easier, her family paid a token price for me, I pledged my life, my honor, my love and gave her the bridal knife. Much simpler that way.

#23 ManhattanMaverick

ManhattanMaverick
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

For me personally, I want it to be sweet but really simple. I feel like the elaborate public stuff takes away something from it.

#24 wesayhey

wesayhey
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Romance is the key..

#25 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

There definitely needs to be creativity. I can't stand cheesy, bullshit, ripped-straight-out-of-a-movie proposals. Sure roses, candles and expensive dinners are lovely, but every second mofo proposes like that. It should be intimate and individual.

Also, the douche better get down on one knee, or its a definite no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users