Father's Day

fathers day america

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Since it is officially Father's Day on the East coast....

ITT: We talk about why we love our dads. Even if we're 14. Because parents suck!!111!!1111

19 years ago, my dad created one half of me, and I'm pretty thankful for it, because there's lots of good food in the world {buffalo wings} and video games.

But seriously, my dad gave me my love of books, reading, writing {all that boring shit, because someone has to like it}, and nature. My respect and passion for training los perros comes from my dad as well.

My dad has also taught me how to talk to people, be polite and courteous, and see wonder in the smallest of things. Because of my dad, I have a love for learning and mi familia. Mostly because they make good food.

I realize some people don't have a father or even a father figure. I have 2 friends who lost their dads at crucial points in their lives {17 and 20}. As such, it would be nice to hear from people in similar situations as well as those with fathers close by.

#2 Lasciel

Lasciel
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

My biological dad gave me abandonment issues, self-esteem and self-worth issues, trust issues, blah blah *Sigh* but I see some of him in the rest of me, and anyway I never hated him or anything. Well, not unless I'm feeling particularly unkind on some particular day. I made him a nice card this Father's Day, which got no reaction from him *Sigh + disappointment*. But he's still my dad so whatever, I have enough love for him though he gave me nothing to be proud of.

My stepdad is the guy who's been there for me most of my life, though we aren't too close more so because of the age gap I guess (he's 73 this year and I'm 25). I used to be really against having another dad but after all these years I grew out of my dogged and undeserved loyalty to my biological father, and I continue to see and be grateful for how much this dad does for our little family. He gave me a complete family, he gave us a nice little home, he takes care of us, even when it should be me taking care of him. He treats me like his own even though I am not, and tries to give me everything I need. He may not be very affectionate or very close in a father-daughter way, but he's the best in his own ways, and that's good enough for me. I wish he'd stop aging already because I can see many signs of it and I'm so afraid that the day will come when he'll no longer be able like he still is now. So I hope I can get a job already and have money to give him some good things before he can't enjoy them anymore. Sniff.

#3 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

My biological dad gave me abandonment issues, self-esteem and self-worth issues, trust issues, blah blah *Sigh* but I see some of him in the rest of me, and anyway I never hated him or anything. Well, not unless I'm feeling particularly unkind on some particular day. I made him a nice card this Father's Day, which got no reaction from him *Sigh + disappointment*. But he's still my dad so whatever, I have enough love for him though he gave me nothing to be proud of.

My stepdad is the guy who's been there for me most of my life, though we aren't too close more so because of the age gap I guess (he's 73 this year and I'm 25). I used to be really against having another dad but after all these years I grew out of my dogged and undeserved loyalty to my biological father, and I continue to see and be grateful for how much this dad does for our little family. He gave me a complete family, he gave us a nice little home, he takes care of us, even when it should be me taking care of him. He treats me like his own even though I am not, and tries to give me everything I need. He may not be very affectionate or very close in a father-daughter way, but he's the best in his own ways, and that's good enough for me. I wish he'd stop aging already because I can see many signs of it and I'm so afraid that the day will come when he'll no longer be able like he still is now. So I hope I can get a job already and have money to give him some good things before he can't enjoy them anymore. Sniff.

I think it's commendable that you try and communicate with your biological father still, regardless of how small it may seem. It's great that you see some good qualities in your stepfather as well. I think that acceptance and understanding are some of the hardest things to feel. Like some zen stuff or something. I am always cool with the world. :)

My parents might have been divorced for my entire lifetime, but I feel like both of them influenced me in a good way. :)

#4 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

I haven't seen my dad in a few months, he lives less than 5 minutes away. I didn't get him anything, but a call will suffice at this rate :/ My parents are divorced and I live with my mom. I could probably have a whole host of issues about my dad, but I don't let what he did/does get to me. I don't expect anything different and I've never known anything different :/ Probably other people on here would have more positive things to say :p

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Instead of writing a big drunk rant here, I'll say this instead:

I've never had a great relationship with my father because he divorced my mother when I was 2 and was pretty much brainwashed to think he wasn't a great man growing up, but I want to have a good relationship with my father one day and hope to make this happen in the future.

#6 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

My dad gives me money. And that is why I love him.

/materialistic

#7 Metigue

Metigue
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

I preordered him Farcry 3, because he's a geek at heart.

#8 Mishatu

Mishatu
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

My mom and I picked out a giant cookie that says "#1 Dad" on it in blue icing. /cheap

#9 Lasciel

Lasciel
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:30 AM

My mom and I picked out a giant cookie that says "#1 Dad" on it in blue icing. /cheap

But it sounds yummy and fun I'm sure your dad will like it! Mine's cheaper I only made a card and that's it (it's hard to buy presents for men in general. When they get older it's worse. My dad doesn't seem to need or want anything so food's the best option but I didn't even get that this year. Oops.)

#10 Teezee

Teezee
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

My Dad's best friend/dog recently passed away so we got him a new puppy for Father's day :3

#11 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

My Dad's best friend/dog recently passed away so we got him a new puppy for Father's day :3

I feel like that might not be the best thing in the world. I know if my dog died and someone got me a puppy I'd be prettyy upset. It makes them seem like toys or cars, replaceable. Especially if it's a dog he's had for years. People tend to know when the time is ready. Sometimes it;s days, sometimes it's months.

Unless he wants one of course, but I'm just atrociously cynical when it comes to puppies due to my background at the local shelter.... ;P

But it sounds yummy and fun I'm sure your dad will like it! Mine's cheaper I only made a card and that's it (it's hard to buy presents for men in general. When they get older it's worse. My dad doesn't seem to need or want anything so food's the best option but I didn't even get that this year. Oops.)

YES.

I feel like that's just super cute. :3

#12 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

I got my dad an alarm clock. My mom said he needs a new one, but I'm a bit concerned I'll be sending the wrong message...

#13 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

My father is dead.

#14 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

My father is my hero. He has always been there for me when I needed him. Sometimes he's been way too strict, but in hindsight, I always understand that it was for my own good. He's taught me a lot, and helped me through every point in my life that has been hard. I can come to him and explain what is going on, and he will be understanding and support me. He has always had my back, and has always been my role model. He's raised me on principles that I am proud to hold by, taught me the value of money, and how to treat women properly. There is no one that I have more respect for.

#15 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

*twitch*

#16 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Threads like these always make me uncomfortable. That being said, my relationship with my dad is somewhat strained. We're civil toward each other as long as I don't have to see or speak to him too often. I didn't get him anything this year, but I texted him to wish him a happy Father's Day this morning, and my mom happened to find a very funny card for my sister and I to give him. He invited me out to dinner tonight, but I'm not sure if I feel like going because I'd feel obligated to pay and my sister doesn't have any money to contribute.

#17 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

My father is my hero. He has always been there for me when I needed him. Sometimes he's been way too strict, but in hindsight, I always understand that it was for my own good. He's taught me a lot, and helped me through every point in my life that has been hard. I can come to him and explain what is going on, and he will be understanding and support me. He has always had my back, and has always been my role model. He's raised me on principles that I am proud to hold by, taught me the value of money, and how to treat women properly. There is no one that I have more respect for.

I feel the same way. Except he taught me how to treat men. ;P

#18 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

My dad is constantly on a diet, so I get him some kind of candy for every occasion. My sister got him a day-of-the-week pill holder this year though, so I'm the good child for once.

Edited by Napiform, 17 June 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#19 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

Had enchiladas for dinner (home made) Was good.

#20 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

My father is dead.

Mine too.

For the people who still have a father around and is a positive force in their lives, don't take them for granted. :/

#21 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

My father is dead.

THIS MAKES ME VERY UNCOMFORTABLE

#22 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Mine too.

For the people who still have a father around and is a positive force in their lives, don't take them for granted. :/

It's saddening to hear that guys. I hope you still find a way to look back on the good things. :3

My dad is constantly on a diet, so I get him some kind of candy for every occasion. My sister got him a day-of-the-week pill holder this year though, so I'm the good child for once.

diet/pills

choose one

#23 Maeghan

Maeghan
  • 253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

My dad used to be an abusive alcoholic.
But then he got a old, he's still an alcoholic, just not so angry all the time anymore. Which is pretty awesome, we dont have that much of a relationship, but he's ok I guess.\

As far as how my fathers day went. IT SUCKED BALLS.

Usually, my Mother in law takes my daughter to church on Sundays. No big deal, I get to sleep in on my one day off, she gets to show off Lily to her church friends, and Lily gets to make cool little crafts. Win win, right?
Well, they usually get home at 1. 1 o clock rolls around, she texts me asking if my boyfriend and I wanted to meet for lunch. We didnt respond, assuming she would just bring her home. 3 o clock hits, we ask her where they are. She says they went to the father in laws parents house, 30 minutes away, but they would be leaving soon. K, no big deal, right? So my boyfriend and I got out to lunch, get home. She texts us, theyre just leaving the grandparents house. Its 4 oclock on fathers day, our toddler hasn't had a nap, they didnt get home until 5 oclock and by that time Lily was so fussy from her lack of nap, theres no way we were going to try and go out to dinner. So basically, it was fathers day and my boyfriend and I didnt get to spend any time with our own fucking daughter and my MIL couldnt figure out why we were just so upset about. My boyfriend was in tears he was so mad.

Tl;dr?

My mother in law kept my daughter out all day, by the time she got home she was so tired all she could do was eat dinner and go to bed. So on fathers day, my boyfriend got to spend 0 quality time with his own daughter which led to a big fucking fight between my boyfriend and his mom. HAPPY FREAKING FATHERS DAY.

#24 stubbie

stubbie
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

It's really weird that we don't celebrate Father's day here, only mother's

#25 Teezee

Teezee
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

I feel like that might not be the best thing in the world. I know if my dog died and someone got me a puppy I'd be prettyy upset. It makes them seem like toys or cars, replaceable. Especially if it's a dog he's had for years. People tend to know when the time is ready. Sometimes it;s days, sometimes it's months.

Unless he wants one of course, but I'm just atrociously cynical when it comes to puppies due to my background at the local shelter.... ;P

I volunteer at a local shelter and he's been asking me to keep an eye out for a baby Boxer for months now. Last week this adorable 8 Week old came in so it was meant to be. o3o

Edited by Teezee, 18 June 2012 - 05:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users