Quantcast

Photo

Rep abuse

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Reb abuse (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Is giving unnecessary +reps abusing the rep system, considering it is abuse to give -rep unnecessarily?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Debate.

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yes.

Not a debate, a fact.

#3 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Have an unnecessary +rep for your post about the obvious.

#4 Maeghan

Maeghan
  • 253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

I think it's harder to judge what constitutes a poorly given +rep, then a poorly given -rep.

It's easy to see when someones being a blatant dick, harder to judge when someones just being a kiss ass. Can't really tell how helpful or clever information is to other people.

#5 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

I've seen a lot of posts +repped just because the author made a clever comeback. Is that worthy of +rep? I haven't been around long enough to answer with any authority, but I don't think so. Especially not if we can't -rep when we happen to personally dislike something that's said.

The whole system reminds me of reddiquette and reddit's flagrant disregard for it.

#6 Maeghan

Maeghan
  • 253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Especially not if we can't -rep when we happen to personally dislike something that's said.

... We can't? I mean, of course not a vendetta against someone. But if someones being an arse, I -rep. :whistling:

#7 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

... We can't? I mean, of course not a vendetta against someone. But if someones being an arse, I -rep. :whistling:

I mean, sure, physically speaking, we can... but I think it goes against the spirit of the reputation system.

By the way, if I'm wrong about any of this, feel free to correct me. I'm still learning.

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

cronus only made this thread because he got in trouble for negative repping one person repeatedly for no good reason so it makes it difficult for me to take it seriously.

#9 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

cronus only made this thread because he got in trouble for negative repping one person repeatedly for no good reason so it makes it difficult for me to take it seriously.

I think he has a point, though, regardless of whether the thread was made to safe face.

Edited by Alodielle, 28 June 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

I think he has a point, though, regardless of whether the post was made to safe face.

There is a difference between positive and negative repping though in that positive repping doesn't have any tangible effect (other than changing a number on their profile) while negative repping can result in a user's posts being made invisible through the filtering process. As a result, harassment by negative repping has a more serious impact and is therefore considered more important.

#11 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Actually, all of that aside, I made this thread because I am sincerely interested in other people's opinions regarding it.

#12 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

In the interest in staying on topic I shall give my opinion.

I like to give +Rep's to people who have made a solid, tangible, effort to bring something constructive to the community.

The other posts I tend to +Rep are one's that make me chuckle or literally lol.

Fairly self explanatory really.

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

There is a difference between positive and negative repping though in that positive repping doesn't have any tangible effect (other than changing a number on their profile) while negative repping can result in a user's posts being made invisible through the filtering process. As a result, harassment by negative repping has a more serious impact and is therefore considered more important.

Only if the reader chooses to filter posts, it's set to "View All" by default...

#14 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

In the interest in staying on topic I shall give my opinion.

I like to give +Rep's to people who have made a solid, tangible, effort to bring something constructive to the community.

The other posts I tend to +Rep are one's that make me chuckleor literally lol.

Fairly self explanatory really.

Not really what I was asking. But your opinion is appreciated.

#15 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Only if the reader chooses to filter posts, it's set to "View All" by default...

Hence the word 'can'. ;)

#16 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Ah. I didn't know that. Thank you for enlightening me!

The other posts I tend to +Rep are one's that make me chuckle or literally lol.

So it is used like reddit's voting system: upvotes for good contribution or funny comments, and downvotes for posts that detract from the topic at hand or the general spirit of the site.

That's too bad. I'm not all that funny.

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

I +rep when something is helpful or funny. I haven't -repped anyone, even though I've been tempted to. I'm going to bust that cherry on something special.

I think the ability to neg rep promotes the spirit of negativity, but I've thought that from the beginning.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hence the word 'can'. ;)

Yeah, but how many people actually do? I'm not sure the actions of those (probably very) few people should have such an impact on the moderation of the site.

#19 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, but how many people actually do? I'm not sure the actions of those (probably very) few people should have such an impact on the moderation of the site.

It doesn't have much of an impact on the moderation of the site, so far we've only had two instances of people abusing the reputation system and both of them just happen to have been for harassing somebody by repeatedly giving them negative reputation.

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

It doesn't have much of an impact on the moderation of the site, so far we've only had two instances of people abusing the reputation system and both of them just happen to have been for harassing somebody by repeatedly giving them negative reputation.

Then why mention it? :p

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Then why mention it? :p

Because it's pertinent to the topic.

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Because it's pertinent to the topic.

Well, not really, if it doesn't actually affect the action you take :p

#23 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

I think they are different animals and should be treated differently. Positive rep is used to state agreement, support, praise, humor, appreciation, and a host of other things. As far as I can tell people don't go around randomly +repping people just for the sake of raising their rep count. If anyone does do this then please speak up :)

Negative reps seem to be often given as a way to express dislike of the member or to knock them down off their pedestals more than to mark posts that are detrimental or in poor taste. People answering questions in a constructive and helpful way are -repped just because of who they are.

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Well, not really, if it doesn't actually affect the action you take :p

It only hasn't affected the action we take so far much because it has only happened in small numbers and they were dealt with accordingly. My point was that if it was a much more common occurrence (rather than just two childish users) then the negative repping aspect would have more of an impact than positive repping and so should be given slightly more priority.

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

It only hasn't affected the action we take so far much because it has only happened in small numbers and they were dealt with accordingly. My point was that if it was a much more common occurrence (rather than just two childish users) then the negative repping aspect would have more of an impact than positive repping and so should be given slightly more priority.

Ok, so you agree that unnecessary +repping is still abuse? Then fine ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users