Quantcast

Photo

Rep abuse

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Reb abuse (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Is giving unnecessary +reps abusing the rep system, considering it is abuse to give -rep unnecessarily?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Ok, so you agree that unnecessary +repping is still abuse? Then fine ^_^

I don't recall ever saying it wasn't. If we received reports regarding it then we'd look into it but we haven't so far.

#27 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

I don't recall ever saying it wasn't. If we received reports regarding it then we'd look into it but we haven't so far.

I think that is because -Rep is easier to track as to who is doing that.

#28 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

I think that is because -Rep is easier to track as to who is doing that.

And I can't think of why anyone would complain about getting an undeserved +rep

#29 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Perhaps removal of the reputation system would be a good solution to this problem?

#30 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

And I can't think of why anyone would complain about getting an undeserved +rep

I don't know that anyone would complain, per se, but it might unbalance the judging. It could push snarky, one-lining speed posters far ahead of those who contribute actual, concrete content.

#31 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

I don't know that anyone would complain, per se, but it might unbalance the judging. It could push snarky, one-lining speed posters far ahead of those who contribute actual, concrete content.

*innocent whistling*

#32 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:56 AM

I don't think people give unnecessary positive rep but if they were to then that would be abusing the system.

#33 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Taking into account the many benefits accompanying a high rep count, I can see your point.

#34 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

I personally haven't seen any abuse but if positive rep wasn't allowed as a response to funny posts I doubt I'd get any rep at all :p

Not that I think I'm funny it's just that I've generally got all of my rep for being a bit silly :p But then again I don't think that's 'abuse' because as has been said it doesn't really affect anything apart from giving me a warm glowy feeling inside :wub:

Now negative rep abuse on the other hand is a bit more of a problem because I can see how it could make people sad to see lots of red all over their posts and because of the hiding posts system thing. But it's still not that big of a problem from what I've seen :)

#35 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

-Rep can be given out of malice. It should be treated completely different then giving +Rep (which cannot be given out of spite, anger etc..).

I don't see how a +Rep system can be abused or misused.

#36 Senrath

Senrath
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

+Rep abuse is more something that requires a group effort. Like if a group of people decided they would all +Rep one person as much as they could, no matter what, just to get them a high +Rep rating, or to cancel out a legitimately earned -Rep rating.

Edited by Senrath, 29 June 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#37 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

-Rep can be given out of malice. It should be treated completely different then giving +Rep (which cannot be given out of spite, anger etc..).

Fuck you Pikachuu and your 500 posts

+rep

#38 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Fuck you Pikachuu and your 500 posts

+rep

Posted Image

hahahaha

#39 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Why exactly? So you're saying it is not fine to -rep an undeserving post, but it is fine to +rep an equally undeserving post?

#40 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Why exactly? So you're saying it is not fine to -rep an undeserving post, but it is fine to +rep an equally undeserving post?

What qualifies a post as deserving of a +rep? Do people +rep the post or the person who is posting? And can the same be said for -rep?

#41 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

Why do people -rep an undeserving post?
Because they want to hurt someones feelings or out of spite.

Why do people +rep an undeserving post?
To piss someone off? Doesn't fit.

So yes. +Repping is harmless.
-Repping is detrimental to a person's standing onsite.

Edited by Ivysaur, 29 June 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#42 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

What qualifies a post as deserving of a +rep? Do people +rep the post or the person who is posting? And can the same be said for -rep?

Exactly where I was going with this. What qualifies a post as deserving a positive and negative rep?

Clearly there are people who feel that the system should be treated completely differently for +rep and -rep. But while people go around giving +rep for posts which, perhaps if posted by a less known member definitely would not get a +rep, I see nothing wrong with going around giving -rep for equally undeserving posts.

#43 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

So that's what those little arrows mean.

They used to have a similar system in the local paper that I would read, and a couple of disturbed ones, would created dozen of userID's so they could give multiple "thumbs down" to anyone not drinking the teaparty kook-aid.

Since this place has a slightly more sophisticated system for creating accounts, more sophisticated than a brand new gmail address, I hope it never comes to this.

I had to thumbs up the cute kitten. Sort of unfair. And Nymh, the other cute kitten

Edited by coltom, 29 June 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#44 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

I had to thumbs up the cute kitten. Sort of unfair. And Nymh, the other cute kitten

This is pretty much my problem with the rep system as a system of judgment. What's to stop me from flooding the forum with kitten pictures in an attempt to get myself bumped up to Adv+?

I guess I'm just chafing at the idea that someone might come along and be vapidly cute and funny and get all the amazing perks of an Adv+ account while little ol' me is left to rot with my considerably more valid yet considerably less cute/funny contributions.

#45 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

But while people go around giving +rep for posts which, perhaps if posted by a less known member definitely would not get a +rep.

I think you are generalizing a bit.

#46 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

This is pretty much my problem with the rep system as a system of judgment. What's to stop me from flooding the forum with kitten pictures in an attempt to get myself bumped up to Adv+?

I guess I'm just chafing at the idea that someone might come along and be vapidly cute and funny and get all the amazing perks of an Adv+ account while little ol' me is left to rot with my considerably more valid yet considerably less cute/funny contributions.

Just the same as a visually distracting image of either a bad comedian jumping around like a mad man, or a poor little Kougra turning into rotting corpse would draw negatives.

I think you are generalizing a bit.

I think they are not. Places like this can develop nasty little cliches that spend all their time self-promoting and attacking common enemies. Childish I know, but that does not mean it does not happen. Still, that is only cause to be wary, not to take action at this time.

#47 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

a visually distracting image of either a bad comedian jumping around like a mad man

Are you talking about my signature image?

+reps have nothing to do with who gets voted into Advanced.
And you have nothing to worry about on that front.

#48 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

I think they are not. Places like this can develop nasty little cliches that spend all their time self-promoting and attacking common enemies. Childish I know, but that does not mean it does not happen. Still, that is only cause to be wary, not to take action at this time.

But can't that be said of almost anything on this site?

If a person opens a thread talking about their favorite comics, aren't their friends more likely to post in it?
Again, it's assuming that all of us here are uptight and petty enough to abuse the systems.

#49 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Just the same as a visually distracting image of either a bad comedian jumping around like a mad man, or a poor little Kougra turning into rotting corpse would draw negatives.

I love both of those images :wub:

#50 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

+reps have nothing to do with who gets voted into Advanced.
And you have nothing to worry about on that front.

Ah, then I was laboring under a colossal misconception. Thank you for correcting me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users