Quantcast

Photo

Rep abuse

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Reb abuse (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Is giving unnecessary +reps abusing the rep system, considering it is abuse to give -rep unnecessarily?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Are you talking about my signature image?

I thought that was you this whole time

o___O

#52 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

I thought that was you this whole time

o___O

It is. That's why I was asking.

#53 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I agree, it's abuse. I should be reprimanded for the bajillion +reps I've given to Waser and Sweeney. Like cronus has followed Yung around to -rep his retarded posts, I have followed Waser and Sweeney posts and their non-retarded posts, +repping with wild abandon! WILD ABANDON!! *strips naked, tosses hair, screams like a banshee*

-Rep can be given out of malice. It should be treated completely different then giving +Rep (which cannot be given out of spite, anger etc..).
I don't see how a +Rep system can be abused or misused.

Sweeney calls some Fucktard a cunt. Gets 15 +reps because everyone hates Fucktard. +rep given out of spite and anger.

#54 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Sweeney calls some Fucktard a cunt. Gets 15 +reps because everyone hates Fucktard. +rep given out of spite and anger.

5.1 - Do not be cruel, hateful or hurtful to other members. Do not harass other members. Harassment includes, but is not limited to, any type of sexual, mental, forceful, and/or physical harassment.
  • 5.1.1 - Mild cases (ie. "GTFO", "go fuck yourself", etc..): Offensive material will be removed and 10% will be issued.
  • 5.1.2 - Severe or recurring cases of flaming and/or harassment will result in the material being removed and 20% warn issued.

Then thats Sween breaking the rules. That's a completely different situation.

#55 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

It is not against the rules to call someone a cunt.

#56 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

People usually make their insults more oblique, anyways.

#57 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

In that situation the rep was given out of agreement with the premise not spite or anger methinks. :p

As long as it's true.

People usually make their insults more oblique, anyways.

It's an art to insult somebody effectively without it looking like an insult.

#58 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

I love both of those images :wub:

It is a cute little Cat, melting from the inside. Just creepy.

The other one, is that the guy from Newsradio?, visually distracting and create a negative cast. Don't know what the intent is, but I;m no fan of the results. Now I have wasted my limited thumbs up and I just have to question your artistic judgement. Oh dear, this electronic darkness is forever disappointing me.

It's an art to insult somebody effectively without it looking like an insult.

It can be an art to insult someone appropriately. Tis foolish to pretend the fool is wise, this wise to fool the wise.

Edited by coltom, 29 June 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#59 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

*strips naked, tosses hair, screams like a banshee*

Not sure if interested or not

#60 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Clearly there are people who feel that the system should be treated completely differently for +rep and -rep. But while people go around giving +rep for posts which, perhaps if posted by a less known member definitely would not get a +rep, I see nothing wrong with going around giving -rep for equally undeserving posts.

So this thread really was just about justifying abusing the negative rep system. Got it.

So... Looks like LW was right, then again... he's normally right.

#61 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

So this thread really was just about justifying abusing the negative rep system. Got it.

So... Looks like LW was right, then again... he's normally right.

Not so much justifying as trying to understand the difference between what I did and what other people do continuously. So far I see no difference.

#62 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

It can be an art to insult someone appropriately. Tis foolish to pretend the fool is wise, this wise to fool the wise.

Huh?

Not so much justifying as trying to understand the difference between what I did and what other people do continuously. So far I see no difference.

Perhaps you're only reading the replies you want to read.

#63 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

The other one, is that the guy from Newsradio?

No, it is actually Sweeney :)

#64 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

No, it is actually Sweeney :)

Oh, that is such a heavy cross to bear, no wonder he's in such a foul mood all the time. I'll have to treat him with more pity from now on.

#65 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

Oh, that is such a heavy cross to bear, no wonder he's in such a foul mood all the time. I'll have to treat him with more pity from now on.

He is not always in a foul mood ;)

#66 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

He is not always in a foul mood ;)
I have chickens that are not in a fowl mood more often than he.

Wombles

54uihw.jpg

image.png

#67 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

I'm just wondering if you could clarify exactly what you meant to imply by this comment.

#68 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

I can't really answer the poll without a little more clarification on what determines "unnecessary" +repping.

Is +repping a post that you personally find funny or in order to express your agreeance unnecessary?
Is +repping a custom that you think is amazing unnecessary?
Is +repping something someone post that is a reference to an inside joke or personal conversation that only you know about, unnecessary?

I would say no. The only way in which I would see a person abusing the +rep system would be to artificially inflate someone's rep count, and since we're all a bunch of selfish bastards and rep doesn't really benefit anyone I don't see that happening.

#69 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

By unnecessary I mean posts which are +repped for no other reason (as far as I can see) other than the name of the poster. I don't think you can deny that this happens. That would just be unnecessary and feigned ignorance.

I disagree with your idea of what it means to abuse the +rep system. It seems that while you have identified the result of abusing it (to articially inflate someone's rep count), you haven't made it clear that to actually abuse the +rep system is to give +rep out unnecessarily.

I think defining "unnecessary" perhaps raises the question of subjectivity. Is your idea of unnecessary the same as mine? However, I don't think that is a central issue to the system, since regardless of subjective reasoning behind repping, people are still getting +reps for practically no reason, which as Nymh pointed out is abuse of the +rep system.

#70 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

By unnecessary I mean posts which are +repped for no other reason (as far as I can see) other than the name of the poster. I don't think you can deny that this happens. That would just be unnecessary and feigned ignorance.

Well, then call me a moron, because I don't think people are +repping eachother just because of who they are. They are +repping eachother because of what is being said. That's certainly what I do. I can't help it if I consistently like what a few certain people have to say.

Trust me. I have been through a ton of people's rep given and received pages, and no offense, but you are one of the few people who seem to have a pattern when it comes to the -rep. Quit acting like you're innocent or that you've got a noble cause. There are a few others who go after iargue or Yung posts, knowing how stupid they will be, just to -rep them. I suppose when it gets to a certain point, it can be considered harassment. Just be more careful. If you find yourself -repping someone so much, just add them to your ignored users list, because by then, it should be apparent they aren't worth your time.

#71 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

[quote

name='punkrockbigmouth' timestamp='1341067158' post='1601664']

Trust me.
[/quote]

Oh, you of noble spirit and clear mind. You think they'll act like adults, you think that all children grow up, that way too many people don't spend there short dance in this world of green and rain with nary a better goal than struting like a drunken turkey. Attempting to relieve their own pain by causing others pain.

Can you imagine the sickness in a person spirit that drives them to such gopher soaring goal as to harass a person in this electronic darkness? When y'all have so much life ahead, so many river and mountains and deep blue seas to see. Aikania, do not believe that all want to see the beauty.
Well again soon, June. I need to go help clean the house. Enjoy the dance.

#72 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Can you imagine the sickness in a person spirit that drives them to such gopher soaring goal as to harass a person in this electronic darkness?

You mean, say, repeatedly insulting someone's username, sexual prowess, or appearance, and then ignoring their responses?
A sickly spirit indeed.

P.S: Eight.

#73 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

Well, then call me a moron, because I don't think people are +repping eachother just because of who they are. They are +repping eachother because of what is being said. That's certainly what I do. I can't help it if I consistently like what a few certain people have to say.

People make themselves who they are by what they say though. Especially on the internet, where we can't see what people do or how they act or anything off the internet.

#74 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

Where is this ignore feature, BTW?

#75 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

Where is this ignore feature, BTW?

http://www.neocodex....ea=ignoredusers

0 user(s) are reading this topic