Photo

Membership Guide

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

Okay, I'm either an idiot and have missed something huge, or there's no real guide on membership here. There are at least six different membership "tags," and while some of these are self-explanatory, it took a lot of guesswork and false assumptions before I figured the rest of that information out.

I'd like to see an outline of the following:
  • What are the different membership types?
  • How do you obtain each of them (not just Adv or Adv+)?
  • What are the specific limitations on a non-advanced account? (For instance, I tried to look up Abrosia item rarity limit, and I couldn't find it.)
  • How exactly does rep work?
I'm sure there's more, but this is the only guide that I've found so far to be both missing and necessary. Just a friendly suggestion/request!

P.S. If I've somehow blundered past an already existing guide without seeing it, please let me know!

#2 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

1. The membership types are member, advanced, advanced+, moderator, programmer, administrator and retired.
2. Adv+ is attained by people on this site nominating other members. Moderator is attained by having to apply (I think). Same goes with administrator. Retired is attained after a mod / admin has quit codex, I suppose.
3. Non-advanced accounts do not have access to specific parts of this site (Lenny Conundrum advanced answers) and are not able to set certain times / delays in abrosia. Normal members also are not granted access to the restock list generator and neologs. Normal members see advertisements on this site too.
4. Rep is just something given to a person. Negative rep means that you do not like / disapprove of what the person has posted. Positive rep is the opposite.

I hope that helped. :)

#3 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

1. The membership types are member, advanced, advanced+, moderator, programmer, administrator and retired.
2. Adv+ is attained by people on this site nominating other members. Moderator is attained by having to apply (I think). Same goes with administrator. Retired is attained after a mod / admin has quit codex, I suppose.
3. Non-advanced accounts do not have access to specific parts of this site (Lenny Conundrum advanced answers) and are not able to set certain times / delays in abrosia. Normal members also are not granted access to the restock list generator and neologs. Normal members see advertisements on this site too.
4. Rep is just something given to a person. Negative rep means that you do not like / disapprove of what the person has posted. Positive rep is the opposite.

I hope that helped. :)

Something along those lines would be great! :) I'm talking a more in-depth guide, though, where each membership type is fully explained, where the application process for moderators is detailed, etc. I'd especially be looking for a great deal more in-depth information for #3.

#4 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Something along those lines would be great! :) I'm talking a more in-depth guide, though, where each membership type is fully explained, where the application process for moderators is detailed, etc. I'd especially be looking for a great deal more in-depth information for #3.

I'm not too sure about the application process for moderators. You gotta ask them ;)

As for number 3, please refer here.

Advanced Membership grants access to the following:

• Unrestricted access to all features in all programs
  • Access to Mystery Pic and Lenny Conundrum answers
  • Restock list generator in the item database
  • Neologs (Submit data about events that happen to you on Neopets and compare against others in Neopia. You can find out hidden secrets in Neopets!)
  • Neocodex contests (win prizes just for being an advanced member)
  • Removal of ads
  • Any extra areas viewable by Advanced Member rank

#5 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

I'm not too sure about the application process for moderators. You gotta ask them ;)

That's why I posted this request: so that someone or several someones could cobble this information together in an official guide.

As for number 3, please refer here.

That's extremely general, though, and doesn't answer a lot of the more detailed questions, especially details relating to specific regular member limitations. Much of those details can be found on the individual program pages, but some is severely lacking (rarity limitations, for example).

I appreciate you trying to point me to the right places! :wub: I just don't think these answers can be found easily. That's why I think an official guide would be a terrific addition to the codex, especially for new members.

#6 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

I can't fully answer your question because I am on my phone, but I wanted to chime in and say that at the moment I am not aware of any positions that have an active applications process besides Beta Tester. Being noticed for your contributions and then nominated (by staffers or other members) is an integral part of member advancement here.

#7 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

Moderators don't apply, they're chosen by admin when needed ;)

#8 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Moderators don't apply, they're chosen by admin when needed ;)

Ahh, but you see, that would be good information for this guide! ;)

#9 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Retired's this clique like family thing, which you need to get voted into. Normally you'll only find people who've been on Codex for a long time in there, but others have been ushered into Retired in the last year I think.

#10 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Retired's this clique like family thing, which you need to get voted into. Normally you'll only find people who've been on Codex for a long time in there, but others have been ushered into Retired in the last year I think.

I know. There was an explanation somewhere I found that had this info. :)

I think people are misunderstanding me, though. I don't personally need most of this information. But as a pretty new member, I know that it would have helped me out a ton when I first joined. It'd be nice to see an official guide added to the list.

And I certainly don't feel qualified to write it!

#11 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

My post was in response to McAwesome :p

#12 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

My post was in response to McAwesome :p

Oh. Oops! :S

#13 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Boopy doop.

#14 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

#15 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

People abuse the rep system.

#16 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

A guide would be a good idea I think. Now that we have the frontpage set up, we can link to various static pages like that.

#17 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

People abuse the rep system.

So you're telling the new guy to do it as well?

#18 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

A guide would be a good idea I think. Now that we have the frontpage set up, we can link to various static pages like that.

We already have a guide, it's just hidden in the "Rules and FAQs" section. :p

#19 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

So you're telling the new guy to do it as well?

No. I'm just stating facts.

#20 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

No. I'm just stating facts.

They just aren't correct, you probably should have left this one be for someone else who could fully answer the question properly and accurately. Namely, someone on staff.

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:55 AM

We already have a guide, it's just hidden in the "Rules and FAQs" section. :p

Yeah, it was last updated in 2008 though so it would need somebody to go through it all. :p

#22 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:03 AM

Yeah, it was last updated in 2008 though so it would need somebody to go through it all. :p

Beats having to write it from scratch, at least.

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

Beats having to write it from scratch, at least.

Are you volunteering? :p

#24 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

Are you volunteering? :p

I could do it sometime, yeah.

Spoiler

#25 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

Maybe we can get everybody else to write it? A collaborative effort or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users