The Workout Thread!

• Please log in to reply
390 replies to this topic

#101 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

Okay.
So I've been working out for 2 hours a day, four days a week for the last 5 weeks.

I've made considerable progress but..a major deterrent from pushing myself a little more is the soreness.

What are some of the things you guys do for sore/achy muscles?

NO PAIN NO GAIN

Repeat that to yourself as many times as necessary.

#102 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

You're not getting enough protein and water probably.

2 hours is also a long time for starting up...what are you doing in that time?

I rotate daily between

Power Cleans and Dead Lifts

Bench press and (regular, incline, decline)

Squats/lunges (with a bar)

and then dumbbell exercises.

NO PAIN NO GAIN

Repeat that to yourself as many times as necessary.

It just hurts D:

#103 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

I rotate daily between

Power Cleans and Dead Lifts

Bench press and (regular, incline, decline)

Squats/lunges (with a bar)

and then dumbbell exercises.

It just hurts D:

So are you doing starting strength or something similar?

#104 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

So are you doing starting strength or something similar?

For now, I just want to put on some muscle. Definition can wait. I just want to get in shape above all things.
So yeah..i think I'm doing starting strength.

(Though I f**ked up my shoulder Thursday [we did a circuit] and couldn't bench more then 95 pounds without it basically buckling.)

Edit: starting August, I'm going to work a lot more on cardio. Mostly biking.

Edited by Ivysaur, 23 July 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#105 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

For now, I just want to put on some muscle. Definition can wait. I just want to get in shape above all things.
So yeah..i think I'm doing starting strength.

I think Random meant starting strength as in the actual workout

Anyway if you're still sore, you should take a few days off before working those muscles again. Taking glutamine also REALLY helps with recovery/soreness.. but you will probably still have a little bit of pain for a few months after starting

Personally i LOOOVE the pain.. if I don't wake up sore I feel like I had a terrible workout..

AND IM DONE WORK FOR THREE MONTHS!!! WOOOHOO TIME TO GET HUUUGE

Also for the shoulder imjury, make sure you don't start lifting too early.. and when you do be sure to work all the small shoulder muscles/joints such as the rotator cuff!! super important and I see a ton of people who don't work them at all

#106 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

I think Random meant starting strength as in the actual workout

Anyway if you're still sore, you should take a few days off before working those muscles again. Taking glutamine also REALLY helps with recovery/soreness.. but you will probably still have a little bit of pain for a few months after starting

Personally i LOOOVE the pain.. if I don't wake up sore I feel like I had a terrible workout..

AND IM DONE WORK FOR THREE MONTHS!!! WOOOHOO TIME TO GET HUUUGE

Also for the shoulder imjury, make sure you don't start lifting too early.. and when you do be sure to work all the small shoulder muscles/joints such as the rotator cuff!! super important and I see a ton of people who don't work them at all

I'll be sure to add glutamine to the list of things I should look into :3
Hehhee. I try to push myself every time but..I kinda need to learn to pace myself xD

The person I train with is a super stickler for stretching so...I don't think stretching was an issue.
I just jerked the wrong way when maxing out during a certain excessive.
(I forgot what it's called. You start at a dead lift position and lift the weight above your head. Not a power clean since it's one solid motion)

But...just for clarity's sake: whats the rotator cuff?

#107 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

It sounds like a clean and press, the exercise you're talking about.. such a great exercise for functional muscle

The rotator cuff is a group of muscles used to stabalize your shoulder.. I'm not 100% sure but I'd guess it's the cause for most shoulder injuries

#108 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

You really think glutamine helps?
I've never taken it, but I didn't think it was that great.

#109 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I found it helped a lot personally, though it could just be a placebo effect lol

#110 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

I found it helped a lot personally, though it could just be a placebo effect lol

I just started taking amino acids, I'm trying to figure out if it's doing anything.

#111 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Oou let me know, lots of my friends take them but I never have

#112 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

I just went back to the gym after not going for three weeks. I did the usual: lunges, crunches, oblique/lower back, chest press, shoulder press, leg extension, hip adduction, hip abduction, row and lastly, cardio.

I ate before I went (what I could find in the house) and shortly after I got to the gym I was really shaky. Not sure if it was because of not having enough to eat, or the hiatus I had been on before going back. I ate a protein bar when I got home because I felt like I was going to throw up. :/

#113 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

Let me know about the Acids too xD

I just went back to the gym after not going for three weeks. I did the usual: lunges, crunches, oblique/lower back, chest press, shoulder press, leg extension, hip adduction, hip abduction, row and lastly, cardio.

I ate before I went (what I could find in the house) and shortly after I got to the gym I was really shaky. Not sure if it was because of not having enough to eat, or the hiatus I had been on before going back. I ate a protein bar when I got home because I felt like I was going to throw up. :/

Be careful. Last thing you want is to pass out mid exercise. Be sure to pace your return. Don't try to max out just yet.

#114 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

Be careful. Last thing you want is to pass out mid exercise. Be sure to pace your return. Don't try to max out just yet.

I didn't really feel too bad while I was working out. I think my muscles were really shaky from being like, shocked, after me not doing much activity for so long. The nausea came after the workout. I know I am going to be sore and it's going to suck. Just gotta get back in the habit.

#115 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

Oou let me know, lots of my friends take them but I never have

Honestly, so far I'm not seeing too much of a difference. I've been super sore lately though because I've been crushing my lifts.
Last night I did 70lb DB Incline bench for the first time 4x5. My chest is finally coming along with the rest of my body.

If anything, it's nice to take intra-workout because it's a placebo boost. The flavor wakes me up and keeps me focused between sets.

I didn't really feel too bad while I was working out. I think my muscles were really shaky from being like, shocked, after me not doing much activity for so long. The nausea came after the workout. I know I am going to be sore and it's going to suck. Just gotta get back in the habit.

I think it's probably just that you haven't been working out. Nausea after workout could be nutritional but you'll just have to see.

#116 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

Honestly, so far I'm not seeing too much of a difference. I've been super sore lately though because I've been crushing my lifts.
Last night I did 70lb DB Incline bench for the first time 4x5. My chest is finally coming along with the rest of my body.

If anything, it's nice to take intra-workout because it's a placebo boost. The flavor wakes me up and keeps me focused between sets.

Hmm....how about protein supplements? Do they actually help?

#117 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hmm....how about protein supplements? Do they actually help?

Oh, absolutely. No doubt in my mind.
My current stack is the following:

Centrum Men's Ultra Multi
Nature Days Fish Oil x 3
1.M.R. Pre-workout (1/3 Serving Size)
MusclePharm Creatine
Scivation Xtend Intra Workout
ON Soy Protein x2
ON Casein Protein x2

I'll never stop taking multis and fish oil as long as I live. Protein is the only thing I think is a necessity for my BB diet because I don't eat enough.
Creatine, I still don't know how I feel about it.

If I were you, I'd get Whey protein. I only take Soy because dairy makes me break out and whey has lactose in it.

inb4toomanysupps
I work for a BB company, so it's all free for me. It is by no means necessary.

Also, what are your DBs vs BB bench stats. I want to know where I should be on BB.

#118 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

If I were you, I'd get Whey protein. I only take Soy because dairy makes me break out and whey has lactose in it.

inb4toomanysupps
I work for a BB company, so it's all free for me. It is by no means necessary.

Also, what are your DBs vs BB bench stats. I want to know where I should be on BB.

Jesus. xD That's alot of supps.
I might start looking into them if i want to seriously pursue weight training. For now, it more about getting a bit of tone.

What do you mean by DB and BB?

#119 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Jesus. xD That's alot of supps.
I might start looking into them if i want to seriously pursue weight training. For now, it more about getting a bit of tone.

What do you mean by DB and BB?

Dumbbell vs barbell.

Except when I said BB company I meant bodybuilding company not barbell :p

#120 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Dumbbell vs barbell.

Except when I said BB company I meant bodybuilding company not barbell :p

Honestly, I wouldn't even know what to look at for those stats D:

I totally f*cked up my deltoid today.
I also think i pulled whatever it was I pulled last week again -__-
Stupid power cleans.

#121 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

>_>

I've lost 14-18lbs in a month, just eating smaller portions, drinking more water and cutting back on as much sugar as I can.

:D!

Congratulations!!!!! ^__^
Keep it up!

(I really should start eating healthier xD )

#122 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't even know what to look at for those stats D:

I totally f*cked up my deltoid today.
I also think i pulled whatever it was I pulled last week again -__-
Stupid power cleans.

Drop the weight, fix the form.

>_>

I've lost 14-18lbs in a month, just eating smaller portions, drinking more water and cutting back on as much sugar as I can.

COngrats!

#123 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Drop the weight, fix the form.

Word.

I was trying to max out and ended up jerking my arm the wrong way.
I think that's the only exercise i have to perfect.

Thanks guys! Just need to shift the muffin top now ._.

You'll get there (:

Have you tried any cardio? I personally hate running so I bike :3

#124 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

Word.

I was trying to max out and ended up jerking my arm the wrong way.
I think that's the only exercise i have to perfect.

You'll get there (:

Have you tried any cardio? I personally hate running so I bike :3

That's what I did last night. I love to ride my bike on our bike trail, but can't get my bike there without a bigger vehicle. I biked 9 miles at the gym last night. It's not a lot, but it was 30 minutes of cardio.

>_>

Congrats to you! I know cutting out sugar and carbs will help soooo much. I haven't had a lot of carbs lately and I can tell a difference overall.

#125 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

That's what I did last night. I love to ride my bike on our bike trail, but can't get my bike there without a bigger vehicle. I biked 9 miles at the gym last night. It's not a lot, but it was 30 minutes of cardio.

Nice!! It's easier on the knees too :3
Though...running is good for your obliques.

My target is a minimum of 20 miles a day. :3
Gonna have to work my way up slowly though ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users