Photo

Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 hadoukenlord

hadoukenlord
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Debating whether to upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7. Should I wait it out or just upgrade? :o Windows 8 does seem kind of weird though...

#2 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Don't do it

#3 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

You could always give the Release Preview a try and see if you like it. I'm on it right now, it's ok, I'm hardly ever in 'metro' and switching between the 2 seems like two totally different environments but it's ok I guess...

#4 hadoukenlord

hadoukenlord
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

ooo I did not know there was a release preview... i'll try that out thanks rocketgoboom ^_^ but after watching a lot of youtube videos i think i'd stick with windows 7 but its worth a try!

#5 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

There are some performance improvements in Windows 8 over Windows 7 so if you can get past the GUI then it's worth the upgrade

#6 hadoukenlord

hadoukenlord
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

yeah the GUI is really unattractive to me... hopefully later when they add more improvements it'll be 100% worth the upgrade haha

#7 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

It takes a bit of getting used to and it definitely feels like it was intended more for touch devices rather than keyboard + mouse combos. You end up using a lot more keyboard shortcuts, for instance, since there's no start button, to turn off your comp, you'd either have to get the charms to show, then hit settings and then finally power -> power down OR you could just press Win + I, Power -> Power Down. But I do kind of like the flatness of the GUI, just hate switching between metro and non metro and I miss aero but I'm sure there will be some themers out there to reintroduce it, or come up with an even better theme :D

#8 hadoukenlord

hadoukenlord
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

oh dang i'm waaay to used to windows 7 then... shortcuts take me a long time to learn... darn xD

#9 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I haven't looked into Windows 8 at all but I'll most likely stick with 7.

#10 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

You could always give the Release Preview a try and see if you like it. I'm on it right now, it's ok, I'm hardly ever in 'metro' and switching between the 2 seems like two totally different environments but it's ok I guess...

Just admit you're incredibly metro

#11 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

Windows 8 isn't doing too well towards gaming development, according to Blizzard and Valve.

I'd recommend you to wait it out if you're big on PC gaming, Windows 7 hasn't even settled most of its compatibility issues yet.

Edited by Pilot, 06 August 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#12 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

I installed the demo. I had to install Windows 7 all over again. If you don`t have touch screen don`t get it. It is very complicated.

#13 Henrymon

Henrymon
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Looks like Windows 8 has been leaked.

#14 Senrath

Senrath
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

Given what Valve, Blizzard, and Stardock have said about 8, I doubt I'll be going past 7 any time soon. None of the features of 8 really catch my eye, and I love my gaming.

#15 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Looks like Windows 8 has been leaked.

No: http://windows.micro...release-preview

#16 shaggy111

shaggy111
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

I tried out Windows 8 for a day and was not impressed... Still with windows XP, Vista, and 7 on my computers.

#17 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Yeah, 8 is a tablet OS and Microsoft didn't bother to make a desktop/non-touch device alternative :/ Not to mention that since it's new and all, there are probably going to be all sorts of problems and it might not like your hardware/games/whatever! And the UI is at Linux levels of inconsistency ahahah~

I've heard it's pretty darn fast and lightweight, but... it's supposed to be like that, considering it's for tablets. Tablets can't handle aero glass (which is why that's been disabled, apparently it uses a similar thing to Vista/7 so custom themes could always just bring that back), don't have the same upgradable specs as modern desktop computers so they need something lightweight so it doesn't explode, the metro start screen has those huge buttons to be like 7 Phone's, so you know you don't accidentally press the wrong button and tried it's best to be consistent but that didn't work lmao, all that stuff! So unless you have a tablet or maybe a really shit computer, stick with 7 for now and wait until 9 comes! :3 That should be better, maybe...

Edited by Turnip, 07 August 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#18 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Nope nope nope nope nope

#19 RandyX

RandyX
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Not gonna switch, windows 7 is just fine for me.

#20 HappyAccident

HappyAccident
  • 408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

Looks like some shit to me unfortunately :(

#21 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

It doesn't really seem worth it from here either. And from what I've read, it sounds there may be some problems with dual-booting it with Linux...:S

#22 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:38 AM

It's fine dual booting with Windows 8 if you install something like Grub2 onto your MBR AFTER you install Windows 8, but if you were to use the Windows 8 MBR it won't detect any Linux partitions

#23 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

It's fine dual booting with Windows 8 if you install something like Grub2 onto your MBR AFTER you install Windows 8, but if you were to use the Windows 8 MBR it won't detect any Linux partitions

Thanks, thats pretty helpful for me. I still reckon 8 is pointless for non-tablet computers right now though.

#24 Joulik

Joulik
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this member!

• 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Keep with win7. Win8 sucks. I liked the minimalist style, but the constant need to switch screens destroys the usability.

#25 NeoSam

NeoSam
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

I always wait these things out, Windows 8 will take alot of getting used to and there is no immediate need to update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users