Photo

Money = Happiness.

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

Money is the one and only effective means to a person's long term happiness.

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

#2 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

True story!

#3 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

No.

#4 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

No.

This.

The only desire I have for money is that which is necessary to support my wonderful wife and beautiful child :)

#5 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Posted Image

#6 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

This.

The only desire I have for money is that which is necessary to support my wonderful wife and beautiful child :)

Still a monetary price to pay.

#7 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Okay.

Another recent article by Elizabeth W. Dunn, Lara B. Aknin, and Michael I. Norton, published in 2008 in Science, concluded that money can buy happiness, so long as the money is spent on someone else.

Their third study was a true experiment: Research participants were given either $5 or $20 and instructed to spend the money either on themselves or on others. Then their happiness was ascertained, Those who spent the money on others were happier, and the amount of money did not matter. One more finding was reported: Additional participants were asked to predict what would make people happier, and they mistakenly said that the most happiness would result from spending $20 on themselves.

Source:http://www.psycholog...y-and-happiness

So..I agree! ^__^
Money can bring happiness as long as you spend it on someone else.

Edited by Ivysaur, 14 August 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#8 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

I have far more money than I did a few years ago but am not any happier...the main reason is simply because all my money goes to paying ahead on my student loans...In a few years, I suspect I'll be happier. :)

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

I just think, as a mother of two. My husband is breaking his back to support us all. I can't get a job because daycare is too expensive, and putting them in daycare would take more then I'd get paid in the first place. Our bills pile up, and sometimes we are sincerely worried about our situation.

We aren't poor. Our kids are fed and clothed. But even that slight worry is scary. It'd be nice not to worry. Then we could indulge in the finer things in life, without added stress.

#10 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Okay.

Source:http://www.psycholog...y-and-happiness

So..I agree! ^__^
Money can bring happiness as long as you spend it on someone else.

this is exactly what is wrong with science.

You cannot take a study about an opinion and try to turn it into science. Unless you did with with every single human on earth, your results will never be accurate or correct.

Money is the means to happiness, but it does not directly equal happiness.

You will be happier if you never have to worry about paying your bills. You will be happier if you never have to work another day (Note: This is never HAVE to. If you love doing something, you can do it, but if you don't want to do it one day, you can say fuck it, without worry).

On the other hand, there are hundreds of things that can make you happy without money. Money can definitely make a person happy, but there is never a single method of being happy, its all about the person themselves.

I can assure you one thing though. Bill Gates is fucking happy.

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

You cannot take a study about an opinion and try to turn it into science. Unless you did with with every single human on earth, your results will never be accurate or correct.

You will be happier if you never have to worry about paying your bills. You will be happier if you never have to work another day (Note: This is never HAVE to. If you love doing something, you can do it, but if you don't want to do it one day, you can say fuck it, without worry).

On the other hand, there are hundreds of things that can make you happy without money. Money can definitely make a person happy, but there is never a single method of being happy, its all about the person themselves.

I can assure you one thing though. Bill Gates is fucking happy.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Boooo!
I really wanted to upvote this because it's perfectly worded.
It's exactly how I feel.

#12 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

Money is being used to elect the wrong people. Money can not buy happiness, but it can buy misery.

#13 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

Has anyone watched Behind These Mansion Walls on ID?

#14 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

Is psychology not a science of opinion?
Psychology is hardly a legitimate "hard science".

#15 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Wrong terms, money can not make a person happy, but a person normally is happier when they have money. It is truly nice, to not have to worry about I don't get a contract, I have plenty until the next one comes along. No car payments, no house payments, good insurance, private school for daughter. It is all just numbers on a spreadsheet, no worry. It will not be enough to keep daughter well off for her life, but enough for a good start. Of course, if health care reform is destroyed by the cackling little satanic crows I could lose it all, but for now I'm fine, and the living is easy.

#16 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Still a monetary price to pay.

Yes? But it doesn't directly create nor destroy my family.

#17 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Is psychology not a science of opinion?
Psychology is hardly a legitimate "hard science".

Clearly never taken a psychology class.

Its a study on the functions of the mind, not on what people think, but HOW they think.

#18 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Clearly never taken a psychology class.

Its a study on the functions of the mind, not on what people think, but HOW they think.

There is no constant for one observation to be measured against.
An objective analysis is impossible unless one, as you stated earlier, uses the entire world as their sample.

#19 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have to agree with argue. Money is the primary material for building happiness.

#20 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

There's this guy we like to call The Wizard. He lives at the homeless shelter not to far from here. Every now and then he likes to stand at the bridge dancing and waving at traffic. Whenever I pass by him he says hi and compliments me. I wish I was as happy as The Wizard. He also sells bomb ass weed.

#21 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Oh, neurological stimulants can also induce happiness but that also tends to cost money.

#22 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Everyone has a different idea of 'happiness', which may or may not involve (or be) money. Maybe what makes you happy is/requires money, but that certainly isn't the same for everyone.

I've been homeless at Christmas, sleeping on rooftops. I'd never felt so free. Freedom is happiness.

You'd love Somalia!

#23 xelam

xelam
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Money does bring happiness into your life at some point because it reduces the hard works you have to do!
(If you have lot of money then you don't need to work as hard as someone who doesn't has money)

But this is how life work, many really rich people ares still not happy even though they have millions
because money can't buy Health, Love, Time, Life, Trust, and Forgiveness.

When you die, how much money can you bring with you?

Edited by xelam, 14 August 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#24 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Truthfully, people, happiness is a known physiological phenomenon that occurs much like the high of a drug. It's a reaction to certain stimuli that is, by nature, ephemeral and fleeting. The most noteworthy aspect of happiness is its ability to adapt and fade as a reaction to the same stimuli. Our car may bring us happiness when it is new, but we get used to its existence and it eventually is just there. Likewise, this is why husbands and wives tire of each other, why kids want new toys for Christmas, and why nothing is generally as good as new. The only thing in the world that is able to offer us constant happiness fixes is money due to the varied and numerous selection of happiness-inducing objects it offers you. Everything else, it will bore us.

Thus, money really is the only effective means to long lasting happiness.

#25 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Truthfully, people, happiness is a known physiological phenomenon that occurs much like the high of a drug. It's a reaction to certain stimuli that is, by nature, ephemeral and fleeting. The most noteworthy aspect of happiness is its ability to adapt and fade as a reaction to the same stimuli. Our car may bring us happiness when it is new, but we get used to its existence and it eventually is just there. Likewise, this is why husbands and wives tire of each other, why kids want new toys for Christmas, and why nothing is generally as good as new. The only thing in the world that is able to offer us constant happiness fixes is money due to the varied and numerous selection of happiness-inducing objects it offers you. Everything else, it will bore us.

Thus, money really is the only effective means to long lasting happiness.

That's pleasure, not happiness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users