• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19377261

A jury has ruled that Samsung should pay Apple just over $1bn (£665m) in damages in an intellectual property lawsuit in the US.

It said that several of Samsung's devices had infringed Apple's software and design patents.

The jury has not yet discussed whether it thinks Apple infringed some of Samsung's intellectual properties.

The iPhone maker had claimed a total of $2.5bn (£1.6bn) in damages. Samsung had sought $519m.

The nine-person jury at the federal court in San Jose, California had to consider 700 questions about each sides' claim that its rival had infringed its intellectual property.

It rejected the South Korean firm's claim that Apple's intellectual properties were invalid.

It said that Samsung was "wilful in its infringement" in many of the cases which is likely to influence the size of the damages.

The judge could still ask the jury to reconsider some of the points if it there are grounds they did not fill in their paperwork properly.
More to follow.

Looks like we're about to find out the result of the largest patent case in quite a long time. :o

#2 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

If only they put people on these juries that actually understood the tech well enough to know what was infringing and what the impact of granting patents for things with "rounded edges" would be.

#3 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19377261

Looks like we're about to find out the result of the largest patent case in quite a long time. :o

I've been following it since it started. I doubt Apple will be getting all $2.5bn worth.

#4 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

As long as Sumsung keeps selling those amazing TV's, I don't care what happens.

#5 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hmm...This will be interesting to see how it impacts the cell phone market (as patents on design not only impact samsung but other makers as well). I wonder what patents the jury decided were infringed upon (I believe one Apple claimed that was infringed upon was the "slide to unlock" feature on the iPhones)

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

(I believe one Apple claimed that was infringed upon was the "slide to unlock" feature on the iPhones)

I can't see that one going through given that it was in use in devices before Apple did it. :/ Then again you can never tell with juries...

#7 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

I can't see that one going through given that it was in use in devices before Apple did it. :/ Then again you can never tell with juries...

Neither can I. I'd guess that Apple basically (as the damages they want are so high, but then again Apple may just be money hungry, which is very likely) tried to claim nearly everything on the Iphone was somehow infringed upon by Samsung (which I doubt).

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Neither can I. I'd guess that Apple basically (as the damages they want are so high, but then again Apple may just be money hungry, which is very likely) tried to claim nearly everything on the Iphone was somehow infringed upon by Samsung (which I doubt).

Didn't they also try to claim that they invented rounded corners? :p Apple just look like they're trying to bully the competition out of the marketplace and ultimately that would be to the detriment of consumers. :/

#9 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Didn't they also try to claim that they invented rounded corners? :p Apple just look like they're trying to bully the competition out of the marketplace and ultimately that would be to the detriment of consumers. :/

That's like saying they invented circles....are they serious?

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Looks like the damages are just over $1 billion which Samsung will have to pay to Apple...

#11 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

Didn't they also try to claim that they invented rounded corners? :p

:lol2: Silly Apple. Hmm...I'll take another guess that they claimed something like: a "home button" or a "swipe to next picture/page" feature.

#12 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

*shrug*, it's not like patent lawyers/officers need to know much about technology to become one and start approving patents. The system is a little broken.

#13 neopets3910

neopets3910
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

:lol2: Silly Apple. Hmm...I'll take another guess that they claimed something like: a "home button" or a "swipe to next picture/page" feature.

Hey! If it wasn't for apple, touch screen wouldn't exist!! ;)

#14 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Every single design feature that Apple tried to sue samsung on, existed on devices before.

The patent system is the most fucked up system in the planet. You can get a patent on anything you want these days. Its out of control, you don't even have to be the first person to use it or anything, and you can get a patent for it. There are also hundreds of patents that are held by multiple people that are the same exact thing, with just different wording.

The fact that the jury is technically incompetent is also a huge issue thats wrong with the court system. Like blizzard being able to block the sale of bots on "copyright" claims. If the judges and jury knew anything at technology they would laugh at such a rediculous claim.

I really hope this is sarcasm....

Like. I'm praying to every single god that has ever been created/imagined/anything else that this is not a serious statement.

Sadly, there is a 90% chance that there is.

#15 StrikeFreedom

StrikeFreedom
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Apple is a big dog in Silicon Valley, where the jury was taken from. That's kinda unfair right?

#16 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

I really hope this is sarcasm....

Like. I'm praying to every single god that has ever been created/imagined/anything else that this is not a serious statement.

Sadly, there is a 90% chance that there is.

So do I...But I believe nintendo came out with touch screen (DS) before Apple created their first touchscreen product. (If there was anyone using touchscreen before the first DS, sorry I have no idea about that)

EDIT: apprently samsung has infringed upon:

pinch and zoom
Screen bounce back (whatever that means)
design for the front of the iPhone (yes, I believe that means the rectangle design)
Home Screen (I have no idea what that means, maybe they looked the same?)

Edited by Satsuki, 24 August 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#17 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

XDD Yeah they probibly want more money since they aren't selling enough circles. @____@

#18 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

So do I...But I believe nintendo came out with touch screen (DS) before Apple created their first touchscreen product. (If there was anyone using touchscreen before the first DS, sorry I have no idea about that)

EDIT: apprently samsung has infringed upon:

pinch and zoom
Screen bounce back (whatever that means)
design for the front of the iPhone (yes, I believe that means the rectangle design)
Home Screen (I have no idea what that means, maybe they looked the same?)

Microsoft made a touch pad that no one cared about a while back....

#19 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Microsoft made a touch pad that no one cared about a while back....

^ THIS! Also, the slide to unlock, that's like on every phone that had touch.
Just random , I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with a Zune, but It was just like an i-pod. Didn't sue them @___@

#20 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Apple are greedy bastards.

Edited by grapes, 24 August 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#21 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

^ THIS! Also, the slide to unlock, that's like on every phone that had touch.
Just random , I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with a Zune, but It was just like an i-pod. Didn't sue them @___@

Zune was the brand of digital media store developed by Microsoft which includes a line of portable media players that are now discontinued

There's your answer. Microsoft made Zune and it's discontinued anyways. Also, Steve Jobs was around for Apple when Microsoft made it, I'm pretty sure Jobs wouldn't want to ruin his rep by suing for stupid stuff.

Edited by Futurama, 24 August 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#22 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Zune was the brand of digital media store developed by Microsoft which includes a line of portable media players that are now discontinued

There's your answer. Microsoft made Zune and it's discontinued anyways. Also, Steve Jobs was around for Apple when Microsoft made it, I'm pretty sure Jobs wouldn't want to ruin his rep by suing for stupid stuff.

O____O since when did they discontinue? A bunch of my friends had them and loved them.
*nod nod* Yeah I'm sure he didn't. Thanks for clearing that up, I forgot who made them XD

#23 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Are all of you guys serious?!?! I agree that copyright law has been taken to the extreme in modern times but I don't see you couldn't see the blatant copying of the iPhone by the Samsung android phones... The charging blocks: Posted Image
Here is the Galaxy Tablet packaging compared to the iPad packing: Posted Image
The home screen Posted Image

(this graphic from 9to5mac) Posted Image
The tap to zoom feature and the "bounce back" feature when you try to scroll beyond the limits of a page...

S. Korea is built around making high quality copies of known good products. Samsung is no different.... Hell, I own a Samsung Galaxy Nexus after owning the iPhone for 2 years.... I'm not saying that they are bad or inferior products... I'm also not saying that Apple should have exclusive rights to any square design icons with rounded corners, but you can pretty clearly see that Samsung appears to have had some help with their design. (Samsung TouchWiz GUI looks almost identical to iOS being a prime example.)

#24 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Many of what they won shouldn't have been patented at all, such as having 'minimalist aesthetics on the front of a tablet'. First HTC (which they couldn't take down) now Samsung? Apple is a joke and probably the most butthurt corporation of all time.

#25 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

lmao did anyone else watch/read that live court thing from a few days ago? All Apple was doing was saying a bunch of bullcrap and calling Samsung names, and during this one bit where Lee was going on about some dumb thing two of the jury members started falling asleep

Then when it was Samsung's turn, all they did was talk about facts and all sorts of other good thing that actually MADE SENSE and wasn't pulled out of their ass, and three of the jury members started paying attention

Posted Image
How can anyone even get away with this :unsure: It's ridiculous! Next Apple is going to say they've invented rectangles with rounded edges and sue everyone for using one or something dumb like that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users