Violetsun's play by post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Okay so here are some rules:

-no character sheets. you should be able to flesh out a character without giving us every inane detail about their life.

-Don't godmod

-if you have multis keep track of them

-no guns. This means you, 14 year old who doesn't understand how not to godmod.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing he could see from the rocky outcropping was an ocean of green, softly swaying grass. Six feet tall and imposing, if lush, the boy shook his head. This wasn't good. Wasn't good at all, actually. Not only did he not have even the slightest iota of an idea as to where they were, he'd never seen plants like this before.

"Wren," he spoke softly, and he shook the shoulder of the girl laying a few feet away. He ran a hand through light-blonde hair, fluttered his wings slightly--large, red a color to match his eyes, feathered, all the Marked ones in Terres wound up with them eventually, even if Wren didn't have hers yet--and sighed. Ths wasn't good. She was going to be pissed. Didn't matter if it was his fault or not, she always was.

Wren let out a soft noise and blinked open her eyes. This fog was nice, because it meant for once--even if only for a few minutes--she wasn't yelling at him.

"Where are we?" she demanded, in a tone a bit too curt, and he winced inwardly.

"I don't know."

And that's all it took. A second later and she was awake, and furious. Royal purple eyes on full alert, every muscle in her tiny frame ready to pounce.

"You are such an idiot!" she snapped. "Why didn't you wake me?"

He shook his head. Here they went again.

((If this is in the wrong place one of the moderators can move it.))

#2 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

((No more off-topic or trolling posts, please. Stick to the rules or your posts will be hidden and warns will be given out.))

((ETA: violetsun, you might want to flesh out your original post to include what is acceptable in this thread with respect to out-of-character talking, how to notate that you're speaking OOC, etc.))

#3 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

OOC; HOW DID I BREAK ANY RULES?

#4 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

^you started one, godmodding, and two, diverting the plot. You know exactly 0 about any of these characters, if they are mary sues, or what's going on with them.

For the record most people that read about Wren HATE her. She has a lot of issues. Don't assume just because of appearances that the story will be going a certain way.

#5 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

((First and foremost, you can't determine the actions or feelings of a character that you do not control. For example, you can declare that you will attempt to make out with him, but it's his choice whether he makes out with you or does something else completely different. Correct me if I'm wrong, violetsun.))

#6 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

((absolutely correct, nymph, apart from the fact that he's presuming about both these characters whom he knows nothing about.))

#7 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

OOC: Fine, I'm going to be making out with a random demon boy... I mean "marked one".

#8 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

((no, not fine. If you want to play, take things seriously. They are both marked and from a world of marked ones. As I can see you have gotten many many complaints against you already. If you aren't going to play, then leave.))

#9 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

Spoiler

#10 Carialle

Carialle
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

(( I agree iargue. I need more infos for creating a charakter. It is ok not having charakter sheets, but we need a frame of what happened, how we got into this world. I don't know, how I can get my char into the game after your introduction...))

#11 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

@iargue: the entire thing was laid out in the other thread:

Okay, this is a bit unusual, but I promise I know how to run it well. I have in the past and everyone loved it, and this was on a private site just for authors.

Everyone gets dumped into a field. It doesn't matter what setting you are from, you appear in that field. No rhyme or reason, just *poof*. From there, I get the plot ball rolling with an event that I will not spoil, but I already have it planned out. I won't say why they are there, but I will say this: each character in this plot must find something about themselves. Something they either must solve or that they must overcome in order to leave. Maybe it's a fear. Maybe it's a deep-seeded resentment. You decide what the thing is.

Once the initial plotball is rolling (at which time you do NOT have to reveal your weakness card but the plot will be explained by an NPC I already have in my head) each person will get to design a slice of the plot. We can either decide whose turn it is as we go (whatever fits/whoever gets there first) or we can decide ahead of time whose turn it is to decide what happens next .This allows the setting to change with what they are doing and who is deciding where in this incredibly malleable world (or really a spirit realm, but that gives away too much) they are travelling.

Anyone can be anything they want and I will fit it in as I go. I generally don't take prospective lists because I am good at thinking on my feet. I've run this many, many times and have never had any confusion.

YOU must decide what your character was doing before they got here. Did they walk through a doorway? Did they trip and fall and POOF? Did they wake up? Think on your feet! This is primarily a writing exercise!

Again, your character can be from any setting--they are just NOT allowed to have guns. They will all get to know each other in the opening act, which I will proceed with once there are enough intro posts.

Think of this like improv, if you will ;)

Before you jump down my throat, lack of planning, blah blah...the last time I ran this, it ran for *six years*. We just moved to different settings when the current one was finished. The characters aged with us and remembered past adventures. Everyone got to be GM for a round (most rounds lasted 6 months-a year) and we were ALWAYS accepting new people.

Just trust me in that this works.

Edited by violetsun, 25 August 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#12 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

Then I'm not actually very interested in doing this. For a few specific reasons.

1)Say, I want to be a traveling sales man. How does that fit into your story? When 2 other people are warriors, another person is a dog, and the final person is blind? Too much confusion ruins the storyline
2)If this is not organized, it will easily fall apart, especially on this forum. Everyone has different times they are on, different posting speeds, and pretty much everything. For instance, I work every day, and so I can post occasionally through the day, and then occasionally at night (I'm using working on a project or schooling). Other people can post all day long for hours on end. If there is no cohesion to who does their part and when, or when the story continues, some people will be left out, while others get to dominate the story line.
3)This is not roleplaying. This is story creation. In roleplaying, you do not create the story or the concept behind the story. You just create the character, and respond to the situation. The role of a GM is to create the world and the situation and allow the person to create a unique character and influence the scenario with their choices. Its very easy to come up with hundreds of different ways of showing up (I'm mowing the lawn and discover you guys. I'm a bounty hunter hunting you. I'm their dad and I am pissed. I just got done peeing in the woods). But its much funner to have the scenario created for you (The true job of a gm) and then we get to decide what our character are going to do to try and survive the situation, and you provide the outcome/change of the story for us.
4)We only know one of the two characters names. What if I want to be the guys best friend, am I supposed to be like "Runs up and hells. "HEY KID, why would you ditch your bed friend like that? That was rude. Oh and your fucked". Atleast name both of the characters for any hope of starting.

There is a reason that the only post that you have a kami12, who just created an imaginary girlfriend, exaggerated his looks, and had her make out with him. If you want this to progress into something worthwhile, it is up to you to create structure from chaos and define everything to the point where there is not confusion (Because guess what. There already is).

If you do that, I would be more then willing to play with you. But if you don't, then hopefully you'll find someone else that wants to play.

#13 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

1. That's the point is getting them all to work together. When I originally ran this there were several medieval characters, a few cyber punk, and one or two regular joes. The first act bands them all into a cohesive group. If I tell you how, I will have spoiled the plot--but it works for literally any character. You're just gonna have to trust me.

2. Being patient and giving everyone a chance to post before you jump ahead typically alleviates this. It's also generally the accepted way of being polite. I generally choke people off if they are posting multiple times back and forth. That's rude to people that may have more limited schedules and/or are out for a day/a few hours.

3. I WILL be for the most part driving the plot--but I feel like 'how did you get here?' is NOT a big question to ask. If you don't want to participate in your part of the plot direction (everyone who wants to will get a turn) then you don't have to.

4. How is the character gonna know the other character's name if it has not been spoken aloud? Even if *I* say his name is rannok, would your character know that? No, he would not. So how exactly does this help?

Again, if you don't want to play don't play--but I know what I'm doing. The reason Kami posted that is from what I understand and from his feedback score, Kami is a troll and generally regarded as an asshole by most of the people here.

If this idea was a total flop, do you really honestly think I would have been able to keep it going for six years? ;) On a site comprised entirely of published and successful authors, no less? The only reason it stopped is because all the regulars drifted/got married/went back to school/had kids/etc and then the site shut down.

Edited by violetsun, 26 August 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:27 AM

3)This is not roleplaying. This is story creation. In roleplaying, you do not create the story or the concept behind the story. You just create the character, and respond to the situation. The role of a GM is to create the world and the situation and allow the person to create a unique character and influence the scenario with their choices. Its very easy to come up with hundreds of different ways of showing up (I'm mowing the lawn and discover you guys. I'm a bounty hunter hunting you. I'm their dad and I am pissed. I just got done peeing in the woods). But its much funner to have the scenario created for you (The true job of a gm) and then we get to decide what our character are going to do to try and survive the situation, and you provide the outcome/change of the story for us.

I'm not sure you've ever actually played a roleplaying game from what you've said here.

#15 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:30 AM

^this. Play by post != tabletop or even close to it, unless you're doing something like don't rest your head where the players DO make up certain plot points.

Play by post basically IS story creation and is an entirely different animal.

#16 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:42 AM

1. That's the point is getting them all to work together. When I originally ran this there were several medieval characters, a few cyber punk, and one or two regular joes. The first act bands them all into a cohesive group. If I tell you how, I will have spoiled the plot--but it works for literally any character. You're just gonna have to trust me.

2. Being patient and giving everyone a chance to post before you jump ahead typically alleviates this. It's also generally the accepted way of being polite. I generally choke people off if they are posting multiple times back and forth. That's rude to people that may have more limited schedules and/or are out for a day/a few hours.

3. I WILL be for the most part driving the plot--but I feel like 'how did you get here?' is NOT a big question to ask. If you don't want to participate in your part of the plot direction (everyone who wants to will get a turn) then you don't have to.

4. How is the character gonna know the other character's name if it has not been spoken aloud? Even if *I* say his name is rannok, would your character know that? No, he would not. So how exactly does this help?

Again, if you don't want to play don't play--but I know what I'm doing. The reason Kami posted that is from what I understand and from his feedback score, Kami is a troll and generally regarded as an asshole by most of the people here.

If this idea was a total flop, do you really honestly think I would have been able to keep it going for six years? ;) On a site comprised entirely of published and successful authors, no less? The only reason it stopped is because all the regulars drifted/got married/went back to school/had kids/etc and then the site shut down.

I would know his name if my character was his best friend?

Good luck with the story though.

#17 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:44 AM

Generally it's frowned upon in RPs to presume relations with other characters. I can very clearly see that you have not done this before at all. If you want to play it that way, fine--but be forewarned that it is very much considered godmodding/metagaming as it can fuck up someone else's characterization/what if the personalities don't mesh/etc

#18 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

Generally it's frowned upon in RPs to presume relations with other characters. I can very clearly see that you have not done this before at all. If you want to play it that way, fine--but be forewarned that it is very much considered godmodding/metagaming as it can fuck up someone else's characterization/what if the personalities don't mesh/etc

This is why you define the basis for the story and the characters are approved ahead of time. I've done hundreds of rp games in my time, from post by post, to tabletops, to larps.

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

Kevin, a sentient cube of iron of exactly 100cm3, suddenly materialises 213.4 feet above the surface of the field. Realsing his predicament, he immediately begins broadcasting a telepathic warning signal at full strength, hoping to spur the lifeforms he can see below him into movement.

Alas, it is too late, and he crashes into the human female's forehead at lethal velocity.

#20 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

^pffthahahaha. That actually made me laugh so hard my mother wondered what was going on.

Edited by violetsun, 26 August 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

((It was only meant for kami12's character, if you want to ignore it :p))

((edit: Well, I guess I'm going to continue on as Kevin... xD))

#22 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

A little girl, seemingly human and appearing to be about nine years old, stands in the field about six hundred yards away from anyone else. She is flying a kite. She looks up the string of her kite, focusing her eyes for a moment on the string and then on the clouds behind it, then back again, marveling at the power of the human optic system. Her eyes trail up the string until they reach the kite, her latest creation in her attempts to master the physics of flying. This one has a long tail, but no ribbons. She reflects for a moment on the massive failure of the ribbons from attempt two, and squints as she scolds herself inwardly for giving into the girlish desire for pretty decorations.

She hears a hollow thud from quite a ways away, and turns her head to see what happened to cause it.

#23 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

((Withdrawn for personal reasons. My apologies.))

#24 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

Kevin shuts down all telepathic contact, and observes the lifeforms nervously. "I knew that last transmorph was a terrible idea," he thought to himself sullenly, "Damien was always a terrible operator."

#25 violetsun

violetsun
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

"What was--" Wren started, as the annoying girl hit the deck with a resounding 'thud', but before she could finish, Rannok was on it. He strode over and peered down at her body, feeble attempt at keeping disgust off his face clearly failing.

"Are you alright?" he asked, though she clearly wasn't. He lifted her head gingerly. Gross. There wasn't much more than a small, square hole in her forehead where the block had entered, but for someone from a warrior culture, Rannok did not do blood well.

There was a small, metallic *ping* as the cube fell out the other side of the girl's skull and into the grass. Tenderly he picked it up, trying not to get the she-devil's brain matter on his hands.

"What is this?" he remarked, holding up the remarkably clean little cube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users