Vigilink

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

This Vigilink? system where it posts ads in all of our links automatically puzzles me.

There is no announcement regarding this addition, which is a huge disappointment because the administration has always given us a heads up about things.

AD's have been enabled for Free users. I can understand that move. But not there is ads for everyone, without an announcement or notice or anything, which is extremely disheartening. In text ads are the worst, because people do not even understand that they are ads, and simply think its a link to somewhere. This tricks many people into click an ad when they did not want to click an ad.

Can we get a post or explanation or anything regarding the sudden implementation of ads for non-free users, and the whole link based ad situation?

#2 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

I am advanced and do not see any ad's at the moment. Could have been changed so that ADV. Members do not see them but ADV. Member+ do. We will need to wait for an admin. Could be a problem with Vigilink.

Edited by Dorkie, 25 August 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#3 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

There is an opt out, that works for most people.

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

Not sure actually. *asks Hydrogen*

#5 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

Sneaky affiliate tracking script. :shifty:

Adblock (why aren't you using this yet?) blocks everything if you need a temporary solution.

#6 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Adblock (why aren't you using this yet?) blocks everything if you need a temporary solution.

That's probably why I've never seen it, once. :/

#7 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Adblock, noscript and taco all gets rid of the links. You could probably use redirect remover too if you want; I never noticed it until coltom pointed it out.

#8 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

Whether adblock removes it or not, iargue still has a bit of a point

#9 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

There is an opt out, that works for most people.

So? Ablock also takes care of it.

I'm wanting to know why it was added in the first place, without a head up for people, and why it targets advanced members are well, when free members are the only people who get the other ads.

Not sure actually. *asks Hydrogen*

Thanks.

Sneaky affiliate tracking script. :shifty:

I am using adblock. It still makes no sense why this is here for advanced members....

#10 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

Yeah, it would have been nice if there was an announcement, at first I thought it was some sort of weird cg link and was kind of flipping out until I got off my ass and googled the site :p

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:30 AM

It shouldn't be implemented at all, announcement or no.
I don't want a third party interfering in my posts, or other people's.

I don't like it on blogs, I don't like it on forums, I don't like it in emails.
It's a shitty, shitty way of generating ad revenue.

#12 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:56 AM

I can't get it removed no matter what I do. I've used no script, Adblock, rtc and I still see the links.

I've even went to the website and opted out. Still see the links.

I am not happy. It had me running around thinking I had some sort of malware on my computer. I mean I give this site money every month. I don't think I should be seeing any ads. But I agree with argue and Sweeney and definitely believe this should have been at least announced instead of just sprung on people

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

Hydrogen knows about this thread so I'm sure he'll deal with any concerns people have when he has time to read it properly.

For now, people can try to opt-out of the system or use something like AdBlock Plus (Firefox) or AdBlock (Chrome) if they wish which should prevent them from being displayed.

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

See? LW's post just got RAVAGED.

#15 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:10 AM

See? LW's post just got RAVAGED.

At least they're highly relevant. :p

For the record, in my opinion they should only be displayed for guests, normal Members and Retired Members (just to annoy Joe).

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:15 AM

I use Adblock plus and no script, I'm still seeing the links :(

Tried the opt-out on the website?

#17 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

Yup, just did. Still seeing it. This is just... wrong to sneak it up on people :(

Do you have a subscription set up on AdBlock Plus? If you're subscribed to EasyList then it includes Viglink blocking.

#18 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:02 AM

Yeah, I just got it fixed. My husband is an all-star :3

How?

#19 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hydrogen knows about this thread so I'm sure he'll deal with any concerns people have when he has time to read it properly.

For now, people can try to opt-out of the system or use something like AdBlock Plus (Firefox) or AdBlock (Chrome) if they wish which should prevent them from being displayed.

I prefer this version of AdBlock for Chrome personally. It may just be a beta but it works well and I think I remember reading a while ago that it's from the same creators as the one from Firefox.

If you want to go an extra level you could also modify your hosts file to prevent your computer from connecting to certain websites (it thinks that the ip for the website is 0.0.0.0 instead of what it actually is). Although this doesn't prevent vigilink, as when I tested IE without adblock the links still showed up.

#20 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

I've never seen the links, even before I opted out. The only way I knew something was up was by copying the link location of a link that someone posted and seeing that all that extra junk was added into the URL when I pasted it.

#21 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

While it is none of my business, I am sort of curious that amount of revenue this generates for a place like neo or classic duck decoys.

#22 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Viglink is a new feature in an upcoming version of IPB that I was testing out. It's a way to monetize the links on your board without being too intrusive. I wanted to see how it would work on our board so I installed it as a test. If it's too intrusive for our members, then I'll remove it.

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Tiny font. :p

Is it possible to limit its use to normal Members and Guests?

#24 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

It's not that it was necessarily too intrusive, you activate the test without telling anyone what was going on. It's easy enough to assume that you did it, but it was troubling that you did not inform the community about it.

Regarding the system itself, the system is more of an inconvenience than anything.

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

That, Hydro, was a terrible, terrible idea.

Is it possible to limit its use to normal Members and Guests?

I think most people would see adlinks in posts, and leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users