Things that I would do.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
140 replies to this topic

#1 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

We recently had a change of leadership. We also had a discussion in Retired about things that we would like to see change, or be fixed. I don't think a lot of that has happened, and given the recent kerfuffles over moderating and advertising, I think we could use a more public arena to suggest things that we feel should be changed.

Here are the things I would do:

1) Referrals contest: Prizes awarded to the people who recruit the most active members, not just a mindless numbers exercise. We don't need any more shitty people - we have plenty. Make the prizes decent, too: Cash, and some forum perk or another.

2) Change Advanced+ to applications. Monthly applications generate buzz, fun, activity. It doesn't have to be as stringent as Private used to be, just make it so that we know the nominees want Adv+, and that they're willing to put just a tiddly bit of effort into aquiring it. Probably a ppd and time requirement. Oh, and no exceptions.

3) Officially set the standards for Retired. It used to be that only very old, interesting members were nominated into Retired. That's no longer the case, since the Private merger - so make that clear and official. Retired aint that great no more.

4) Add an old member perk. No new areas or anything like that, I'm suggesting mod powers in their own threads. Incentive to create interesting content, and a fun perk for committed members. Disabled on abuse, or while carrying warn.

5) Moderators. Get rid of Elindoril and Boggart. Promote me, or Patrick, or Cody, or... actually, that's all I can think of. Then tell them what they need to do, and how to do it. Go over the rules with them, fix the rules where required. Oh, and make sure they all have identical powers. Oh (2), and stop contradicting each other in public. Concerns are raised in the Staff area - that's what it's for.

6) Administration. You're doing fine with the coding and development, clearly. We're the most advanced we've been in years on that front. But for the love of all things good and holy, promote someone to deal with the people? Promote someone with the autonomy to make decisions with people, when they need it, without farting around for months on end.

7) More announcements. Preferably about important stuff, like what's going on with the rules, the programs, the site-modifications. Maybe weekly updates on things like competitions, interesting debate threads, SotW winners, what's coming soon... Communication is king.

8) Knock out a 100 post day before the end of Summer. Or one weekend.

9) Stop free-for-all name changes. Jesus fuck, but that's annoying.

10) Remove rep.

Edit: I would also remove this Vigilink shit, and look very seriously at removing image ads too.

One last thing, please don't any bitchy moans about problems unless you have a constructive suggestion to offer alongside. Just don't.

#2 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Bring back private. Fuck off all the current mods (I have no idea who any of them are or what they do) etc..

#3 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

1)Yes
2)Yes
3)Yes
4)Possible concept
5)Yes, Yes, Maybe, No, No. Activity is a requirement for a mod. Being around "Every once in awhile" is a bad thing.
6)Multiple broken programs :(. Someone does need to be there to deal with the people though.
7)Yes
8)Why not
9)FUCK YES. And bring back name change history?
10)Eh

B)Yes

Edited by iargue, 26 August 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

9)FUCK YES. And bring back name change history?

This feautre wasn't removed.

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

This feautre wasn't removed.

But the old logs are gone.

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

But the old logs are gone.

They're backed up somewhere.

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Mmm, I believe someone said they'd be replaced at some point. Hardly a priority, though.

#8 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

I agree with all of that, and want to suggest the revival of the Codies as well.

#9 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

I agree with all of that, and want to suggest the revival of the Codies as well.

You know we're basically running a Codies right now, right? :p

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

It could do with a proper structure and organisation though.

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

It could do with a proper structure and organisation though.

*cough*

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

*cough*

Need a lozenge?

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

Thank you ^_^

#14 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

This turned out to be huge, so I'm spoiling it.

Spoiler

ETA: Aww, this is my 2000th post ^_^

#15 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

I personally like everything you suggested.
I would apply for Adv+ hands down also.

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thank you ^_^

I was enquiring, not offering. :p

#17 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

It just seems half-assed though. I mean, to your 7th point, no announcement was made about it. It's just whoever stumbles into the thread.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Perhaps a Retired perk? If not, how old? I see a potential problem in that people who have had accounts here for ages but never been active would also have these perks. If someone decides to come back to Codex with an account they created ages ago and never used, or they've always been around but never particularly engaged in forum activities, they shouldn't have these powers just because their account is old.

Mmmm, I didn't mean just by account age. Just something cool for being an excellent member for a long-ass time. Admin discretion, I suppose.

I was enquiring, not offering. :p

I knew you would say that, ass :p

#19 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

It just seems half-assed though. I mean, to your 7th point, no announcement was made about it. It's just whoever stumbles into the thread.

To be fair, it wasn't an official contest to begin with; we kind of converted it to be the current iteration of the Codies unofficially. If it goes well, I agree it could/should become a regular thing with more formal implementation.

#20 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

I've also suggested that we hold more frequent official contests and competitions maybe akin to how Neopets has events every few months or so.

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

Remember that contests section we opened, and then used once?

#22 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Remember that contests section we opened, and then used once?

I remember having a contest team, that didn't go too well. :p

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

The contest team ran for ages xD
Until everyone got chainfrozen.

#24 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

1) Sounds good

2) *Remembers back to the God awful drama of private applications* Probably not a good idea.

3) I disagree, I think it used to be that friends of old and interesting members got into Retired. I don't think adding a standard is going to change that at all.

4) Sounds good

5) Who should be moderator is a personal preference. I think it should be left to the masses.

6) Pretty sure this already happened

7) Yes

8) More yes

9) More more yes

10) I have no input.

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

2) *Remembers back to the God awful drama of private applications* Probably not a good idea.

5) Who should be moderator is a personal preference. I think it should be left to the masses.

6) Pretty sure this already happened

The only drama I remember is one or two shitty members bitching that they never got in. Which was hilarious.

The masses are idiots, they should have as little influence as possible.

Really? Who is the administrator that deals with people?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users