• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

So I'm going to need a guy to come here and fertilize me within 2 weeks. Coltom need not apply, too old.

Posted Image

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

*sigh*

It amazes me how little women seem to actually know about the medical procedures surrounding pregnancy.

#3 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

1) Sensationalize old news
2) Screencap part of the article to remove context
3) ???
4) PROFIT!

#4 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

I saw this on tumblr and I don't really understand.

Also random picture accompanying the article

#5 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

*sigh* A woman brought this law forward? I was expecting another old ignorant guy.

Also, what's with the way they name these bills? Any intelligent person can see through their Orwellian doublespeak bullshit.

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and paste the Wikipedia article on Gestational Age, before anyone thinks this is worth talking about:

In human obstetrics, gestational age is often defined as the time elapsed since 14 days prior to fertilization. This is approximately the duration since the woman's last menstrual period (LMP) began. There is also a further distinction between the calendar gestational age described here, and the developmental gestational age determined by comparing an embryo or fetus to the average age of others that were at the same stage of development.

http://en.wikipedia....Gestational_age

#7 PinkRainbows

PinkRainbows
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

:/ all i can say is wow :C

#8 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

I'm gonna go ahead and paste the Wikipedia article on Gestational Age, before anyone thinks this is worth talking about:

Thank you.

Edited by Napiform, 28 August 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#9 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Thanks. Learn something new everyday I suppose.

#10 Carialle

Carialle
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

Yes because the Gestational Age counts when the Woman has the ovulation.

#11 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

So no one cares about my good news? I'm hurt.

1) Sensationalize old news
2) Screencap part of the article to remove context
3) ???
4) PROFIT!

Oh please DO EXPLAIN the context we're missing here.

Edited by Mishelle, 28 August 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#12 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Oh please DO EXPLAIN the context we're missing here.

I posted it for you. I doubt it was in the ridiculous article, though... That'd be far too intellectually honest.

Technically since it's rare women know that they're pregnant that soon, it's still offensive. It's the same as making abortion illegal, since they're reducing the time to about 24 hours.

What do you mean?

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

I *think* the out of context part comes in because this particular article is against the law/this state of thought and goes into detail as to why in the part that's cut off.

#14 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

The hype around this is stupid. Any woman that has ever been pregnant knows that they calculate your gestational age based upon the first day of the cycle that you were in when the egg was fertilized - typically two weeks before ovulation. This is not new. Just because some Republican made it a law now it's sensational, when this is how they've done it in the medical field for ages.

Also, this does NOT change when a woman would be able to legally get an abortion. The calculation stays the same because this changes nothing.

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

What do you mean?

Trick question... I see where I messed up.

#16 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

The hype around this is stupid. Any woman that has ever been pregnant knows that they calculate your gestational age based upon the first day of the cycle that you were in when the egg was fertilized - typically two weeks before ovulation. This is not new. Just because some Republican made it a law now it's sensational, when this is how they've done it in the medical field for ages.

Also, this does NOT change when a woman would be able to legally get an abortion. The calculation stays the same because this changes nothing.

Thanks. I was largely ignorant of this fact and only read the article before formulating my post. I fail. :(

#17 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

In Arizona there's a law that prohibits abortions after 20 weeks. Now they've decided to factor in gestational age so technically you might only get 18 weeks now.

Edited by Mishelle, 28 August 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

In Arizona there's a law that prohibits abortions after 20 weeks. Now they've decided to factor in gestational age so technically you only get 18 weeks now.

Are you incapable of reading? Gestational age has always been calculated from two weeks before conception.
The law changes nothing.

#19 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

In Arizona there's a law that prohibits abortions after 20 weeks. Now they've decided to factor in gestational age so technically you only get 18 weeks now.

If you were 20 weeks before the law, you'd still be 20 weeks after the law. The doctor is going to calculate the gestational age the same way now as they did before this law was passed. This law changes literally nothing about the process of determining gestational age.

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Are you incapable of reading? Gestational age has always been calculated from two weeks before conception.
The law changes nothing.

If you were 20 weeks before the law, you'd still be 20 weeks after the law. The doctor is going to calculate the gestational age the same way now as they did before this law was passed. This law changes literally nothing about the process of determining gestational age.

Look! You're on the same wavelength an ocean away from each other! How cute!

#21 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yes it has always been factored but now if your dr is prolife they can legally declare you pregnant 2 weeks in and you only get 18 weeks.

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yes it has always been factored but now if your dr is prolife they can legally declare you pregnant 2 weeks in and you only get 18 weeks.

I dunno where you get your abortions, but that's the way it's always been done over here. They ask when date of your last period was and then determine what kind of ultrasound to give you from there to figure out what procedure to give you.

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

No.

#24 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

You don't get it Mishelle...

The moment you become pregnant, you're two weeks pregnant. That's just how it works. It doesn't matter if the doctor is pro-life or pro-choice.

Would it make it easier to understand if I told you that before the law was passed, you only got 18 weeks to begin with? Well, technically more like 16-15 because most pregnancies aren't even detectable until you're 4-5 weeks at the earliest (2-3 weeks after conception).

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

And if they're pro-life, they probably aren't doing a whole lot of abortions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users